PDA

View Full Version : Sylvan - Open Water Report

Zip-in-Z
05-16-2020, 09:15 PM
Went out with Scott, BTY warm day, 24C with light wind, we launched at Half Moon, fished the point, Sunbreaker, Palm Bay & RR23 South, we both limited out on Whites and we finally got to keep a Walleye. Fish were most active in 12-14 fow, Pre-spawn Males were milking, we lost count on the number of Walleye, didn't catch any females today. Lots of boat out not everyone was doing that well. No snow in the forecast this weekend, hope everyone has a fun & save May long!

A few pic's from opening day.

Cheers

D.

https://i.imgur.com/c682Pab.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Zvr9N2y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C90AtWL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0X5fF2d.jpg

A few White's didn't Totally Spawn out Last Fall before First Ice.

https://i.imgur.com/xRmtycA.jpg

The Last Time I Filleted a Walleye was back in MB in 2004, took the Cheeks & Hocks

https://i.imgur.com/wQiofw4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9uLERBd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jPqk8Yn.jpg

bwackwabbit
05-16-2020, 09:35 PM
What a BEAUTIFUL day!!!

Great company as always.

Was fun taking a gamble on some new spots that paid off.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200517/6ff6c88fbb85ec0a134f16640fe4eb99.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200517/1010b0f88fdd885f8931b56daad191ed.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200517/a898bc5f49cbf09915f1b26c77c5a2fb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200517/0038c626b0833ad5ee1002c6583f637e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200517/7e30449f8ff69dbb8d0474286058ccb2.jpg

Cheers,

Scott.

Zip-in-Z
05-16-2020, 09:40 PM
Nice Boat pic's ....

Nice bunch a fish, too!

D.

barbless
05-16-2020, 10:56 PM
You Dogs you guys. Nice pics gentlemen. Walleyes caught on the lip. Wish I had the chance to participate. Nice whites also. Seems like Syl has some good size whites. Just after ice??? Still shallow?? Fish feast for sure

Poppa
05-16-2020, 10:57 PM
Congrats on a great day fellas. We went to Burnstick for our opener today, but likely heading to Sunbreaker to launch out tomorrow. Looking forward to another beautiful day!

barbless
05-16-2020, 11:01 PM
Nice Boat pic's ....

Nice bunch a fish, too!

D.

Looks like an awesome ride and you know what? Just from the pic's of fish, your boat catches more than mine....sometimes :argue2::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: .

barbless
05-16-2020, 11:05 PM
Just curious, what electronics are running on that rig? Also what front motor you got? Foot or hand remote?

SNAPFisher
05-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Nice boat, nice day and nice fish! Good to see some wallies with whites on the table. Congrats!

58thecat
05-17-2020, 09:51 AM
looks like a great time on the water...dam nice boat too:sHa_shakeshout:

skawtty
05-17-2020, 10:18 AM
Ha nice pics boys, hope I am able to share after we go out tomorrow. Hope all is well. Taking the father in law and wife fishing tomorrow there. Dave, I still got that jig from last year you gave me that you are using, going to give it a try.

skawtty

bwackwabbit
05-17-2020, 07:18 PM
Just curious, what electronics are running on that rig? Also what front motor you got? Foot or hand remote?Humminbird Helix 5 DI up front connected to the Minn Kota Terrova. Humminbird 959 CI HD at the console I-pilot linked to the Terrova. The Terrova has both foot pedal (which I don't use) and I-pilot remotes with spot lock, cruise and auto chart support.

Cheers,

Scott.

bwackwabbit
05-17-2020, 07:19 PM
looks like a great time on the water...dam nice boat too:sHa_shakeshout:Cheers!

Cheers,

Scott.

bwackwabbit
05-17-2020, 07:20 PM
Ha nice pics boys, hope I am able to share after we go out tomorrow. Hope all is well. Taking the father in law and wife fishing tomorrow there. Dave, I still got that jig from last year you gave me that you are using, going to give it a try.

skawttyTight lines bud!

Cheers,

Scott.

Fishwhere
05-17-2020, 09:08 PM
Really impressive. I need to get on the open wster whitefish train. Crazy how effective you guys are at it.

Nice job! Its strangely intimidating because the hooks are so small that it seems like a waste. Ive tried a little bit but seems like its useless - cant believe how successful you are.

Zip-in-Z
05-17-2020, 10:48 PM
Really impressive. I need to get on the open wster whitefish train. Crazy how effective you guys are at it.

Nice job! Its strangely intimidating because the hooks are so small that it seems like a waste. Ive tried a little bit but seems like its useless - cant believe how successful you are.

Tks for the kind words, I've said this in previous threads, I have no difficulty sharing tips/tricks and helping others hopefully have a successful day fishing, wish more members would do the same, trust this may help improve your success.

In regards to the jig head, in open water the smaller the better, I find a 1/32 oz works the best with a 2" Mini Mr. Twister in light/dark brown with spots (Cdn Tire sell them). Tie a 5 foot Floro leader, 6-8 lb then 10 lb braid, I can cast it about 30-35 ft with my ultra-light & then allow the jig to sink slowly down, then retrieve trying to swim it back slowly and let it drop, swim/drop etc, the Whites normally hit it when it drops, it's a very light hit, your feel them when you jig up & you have to be ready to set the hook or Mr Whites gone. When you get a good hook set they fight like crazy & it's normally in the top of their snout so you don't loose to many trying to get them in the net. I find a heavier jig head say 1/8 or 1/4 oz drops to quick and you have much less or 0 strikes.

We found the most active fish in 12-14 fow, I caught that largest White in the pic's, vertical jigging under the boat, 6-8" off the bottom, it hit like freight train, you have to adjust your jig to make sure it still sits horizontal which the 1/32 oz does with no effort. While eating a 1/2 sandwich I was vertical jigging under the boat, put my rod handle under my leg/boat seat (My Jaw-Jacker) caught 2 Walleye in the upper mouth before I finished eating my lunch.

Other people were fishin small bobber's with wire worms, they were catching a few, but nothing like we experienced.

We caught lots of Walleye's on the same jig, Scott changed rods from a piece of smelt to 1/32 Mr Twister the Pre-spawn Walleye preferred the smaller presentation. The down side of using the small jig & Mini Mr. Twister is .... I had a Pike bite me off, I would like to think it was big, it hit right under the boat & when I felt the strike/crunch & set the hook, my rod almost doubled over & she was gone. Last year I had a 20LB plus Pike follow the Mini Mr. Twister Jig right up to the boat but it wouldn't commit, that was exciting to witness, small presentations can catch big fish in the spring.

Give it a try, hope you do as well & let us know.

Cheers

David

Skawtty .... if it's not raining we may see you tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/T6q44M0.jpg

StringTheory
05-18-2020, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the tips Zip! They are always appreciated. I've been playing with micro jig presentations for trout but I will pick up some of these for whites too. I've been after the whites on Pigeon for 2 years now and have yet to catch one!

Zip-in-Z
05-18-2020, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the tips Zip! They are always appreciated. I've been playing with micro jig presentations for trout but I will pick up some of these for whites too. I've been after the whites on Pigeon for 2 years now and have yet to catch one!

Good to hear, when Scott & I were fishin Gull Lake a few years ago in the early spring, I had lots of success with the same Mr. Twister presentation, however, I had more Pike bite me off, it became a PIA tie on all the time.

Got a P/M from a member asking if I tipped the jig with Bait or Scent ... I should of mentioned, it was not necessary, the Whites were chasing the presentation that represents a small minnow. The pre-spawn walleye were a bit lethargic & would just grab & hold allowing you to set the hook.

Cheers

D.

58thecat
05-18-2020, 12:10 PM
Humminbird Helix 5 DI up front connected to the Minn Kota Terrova. Humminbird 959 CI HD at the console I-pilot linked to the Terrova. The Terrova has both foot pedal (which I don't use) and I-pilot remotes with spot lock, cruise and auto chart support.

Cheers,

Scott.

dam...you got more invested in electronics than I have in my whole set up...:)

oilngas
05-18-2020, 02:08 PM
I appreciate your sharing info, techniques and tackle.

I have been flamed for doing that here when I get specific about Crawling, goose shoots etc. but Ill continue to do so.

Your tip on the light jig, and specific twister tail does work very well in Crawling and other reservoirs at mid season. The gkids and dogs get a great kick out of watching the vertical under the boat stationary jig n tail, Mr. Wally can really hammer that thing.

I also use the same tackle under a slip bobber when they are finicky, the wave action, jigging / jiggling etc. seems to be the key, I will let them drag the bobber and tackle a around a bit before setting the hook, almost always a lip hook is the result.

Zip-in-Z
05-18-2020, 02:48 PM
I appreciate your sharing info, techniques and tackle.

I have been flamed for doing that here when I get specific about Crawling, goose shoots etc. but Ill continue to do so.

Your tip on the light jig, and specific twister tail does work very well in Crawling and other reservoirs at mid season. The gkids and dogs get a great kick out of watching the vertical under the boat stationary jig n tail, Mr. Wally can really hammer that thing.

I also use the same tackle under a slip bobber when they are finicky, the wave action, jigging / jiggling etc. seems to be the key, I will let them drag the bobber and tackle a around a bit before setting the hook, almost always a lip hook is the result.

Tks for sharing your techniques, back in Mb we did the same .... let lots of line out and watch them drag the bobber around a bit then it goes under pop's-up then take up the slack & set it, on occasion the walleye had the hook down in the gullet, had to use the snippers a few times for any C&R's, but it was a productive method of catching fish.

All the best this season.

Cheers

D.

happyfisher
05-18-2020, 05:41 PM
The sylvan slayers are at it again!!!

Good job as usual.

skawtty
05-18-2020, 10:00 PM
Went there this morning, got there at 9am cold and windy , choppy as heck. Started picking off the walleyes as that is all we caught. kept a few 18 inchers for supper and threw the 20+ ones back back. Still believe the smaller ones taste better and the bigger ones let them make more smaller ones. Thanks David fir the jig and tail think i will buy some of these, they worked like a charm. Was hoping for some whites but walleys are perfect too. One of these weekends we will meet you guys out there and then go to monkey top for a bevy and some good eats. :sHa_shakeshout:

Poppa
05-19-2020, 05:18 PM
we were out Saturday night between 5-8 and had a good time near Sunbreaker. Lots of the usual stunted walleye, but the highlight was a pretty big burbot that we jigged up. Hit like a ton of bricks, and I was sure it had to be a pike, but then the whisker chin came to the surface. My first ever burb, so I was excited to get a pic with that. As always, we are fully CnR, so everything went back to grow! I want nothing more than to catch a 30" walleye on Sylvan one day....here's hoping.

Zip-in-Z
05-19-2020, 10:51 PM
Went there this morning, got there at 9am cold and windy , choppy as heck. Started picking off the walleyes as that is all we caught. kept a few 18 inchers for supper and threw the 20+ ones back back. Still believe the smaller ones taste better and the bigger ones let them make more smaller ones. Thanks David fir the jig and tail think i will buy some of these, they worked like a charm. Was hoping for some whites but walleys are perfect too. One of these weekends we will meet you guys out there and then go to monkey top for a bevy and some good eats. :sHa_shakeshout:

Pleased to read you did well & had fun with the family, yup Monkey Top it is.

D.

we were out Saturday night between 5-8 and had a good time near Sunbreaker. Lots of the usual stunted walleye, but the highlight was a pretty big burbot that we jigged up. Hit like a ton of bricks, and I was sure it had to be a pike, but then the whisker chin came to the surface. My first ever burb, so I was excited to get a pic with that. As always, we are fully CnR, so everything went back to grow! I want nothing more than to catch a 30" walleye on Sylvan one day....here's hoping.

Well done, share a few pic's next time, and a Burb those are a bit unexpected at this time of year.

D.

There's a local Sylvan Facebook site called "All Season Angling Sylvan Lake" ... I copied these guys pic of some nice Walleye taken in the Marina Bay area, nice to see they were released, too.

D.

https://i.imgur.com/wU8h2Zh.png

https://i.imgur.com/T5Znklo.jpg

SNAPFisher
05-20-2020, 07:31 AM
Nice walleye there Zip. Thanks for posting those pics.

Yeah, burb in open water if mighty cool. Not a common thing. Keep the fishing reports coming :)

338Bluff
05-20-2020, 08:27 AM
Well I got sufficiently humbled on Sunday. 11 hours on the water and only managed about 8 walleye. Must have been the old freezer burnt minnows. Spent quite a bit of time fising a bloodworm under an indicator without a single bite. Reminded me why I prefer Pigeon and Buck. Nice boatlaunch at Sunbreakers. Get there early though or it's a very long walk from the overflow trailer parking. Not good if you're launching by yourself.

Poppa
05-20-2020, 03:03 PM
Zip - thanks for those Walleye pics.... I have hope now! I'm working on rigging a Lowrance Elite Ti 9 on my boat, which will help me a ton in finding 'em.

Meanwhile, here's some pics from our outing Sunday.....

Zip-in-Z
05-20-2020, 04:18 PM
Zip - thanks for those Walleye pics.... I have hope now! I'm working on rigging a Lowrance Elite Ti 9 on my boat, which will help me a ton in finding 'em.

Meanwhile, here's some pics from our outing Sunday.....

Nice pic's, looks like a fun day tks for sharing, electronics will help finding & working structure, wish you all the success this season.

Cheers

D.

dshot
05-20-2020, 06:08 PM
Launched the boat on saturday and trolled back to the cabin, caught two within 500 meters of the launch. The first one got to back to grow.

The second got released into the hot oil.

Been waiting for this fishery to open up to catch and keep walleye forever. Hoping this well help knock the numbers down and create some size growth within the population. They seemed to have started to stunt over the last 5 years (though the numbers were great). Not going to always keep one, but it sure is a fantastic treat every couple of weeks.

Whites were also fishing solid this weekend in the shallows.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=2270&pictureid=11121

338Bluff
05-20-2020, 06:24 PM
Launched the boat on saturday and trolled back to the cabin, caught two within 500 meters of the launch. The first one got to back to grow.

The second got released into the hot oil.

Been waiting for this fishery to open up to catch and keep walleye forever. Hoping this well help knock the numbers down and create some size growth within the population. They seemed to have started to stunt over the last 5 years (though the numbers were great). Not going to always keep one, but it sure is a fantastic treat every couple of weeks.

Whites were also fishing solid this weekend in the shallows.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=2270&pictureid=11121

How shallow were the whites? I was in 6-8 FOW all day Sunday. Are folks using bait or just the punkin seed twister tails.

pikeman06
05-20-2020, 11:41 PM
Nice to see the wallies goin in the frying pan boys. Been chastised as a "whiner" and "complainer" for my observations on the introduced and over protected wallies that have wreaked havoc on a number of historically self sustaining central alberta and north east alberta fisheries and the effect that the wallies have had on formerly "quality" fisheries....nice to see the managers change their approach to the management of several lakes hopelessly over run with stunted starving wallies. We know enough to let the quality, large healthy spawning size fish go to pass on their genes and whack the skinny, starving, dime a dozen wallies that don't even behave like a real walleye should. Do a perch, Ling, pike, or whitefish a favor and balance things out a bit... Thanks to all of the fellow native albertans that remembered the football perch and submarine pike that these lakes were known for and let their voices be heard about what they consider a healthy fishing lake. Obviously I wasn't the only one, but at times it sure felt like it at least on this platform...if the remaining perch and pike and Ling and whites have even a average hatch the results will be obvious almost instantly with a little cull of the starving wallies. Thanks Mr Nixon...

dshot
05-21-2020, 07:55 AM
3-6 fow

dshot
05-21-2020, 07:56 AM
How shallow were the whites? I was in 6-8 FOW all day Sunday. Are folks using bait or just the punkin seed twister tails.

3-6 fow

Zip-in-Z
05-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Nice to see the wallies goin in the frying pan boys. Been chastised as a "whiner" and "complainer" for my observations on the introduced and over protected wallies that have wreaked havoc on a number of historically self sustaining central alberta and north east alberta fisheries and the effect that the wallies have had on formerly "quality" fisheries....nice to see the managers change their approach to the management of several lakes hopelessly over run with stunted starving wallies. We know enough to let the quality, large healthy spawning size fish go to pass on their genes and whack the skinny, starving, dime a dozen wallies that don't even behave like a real walleye should. Do a perch, Ling, pike, or whitefish a favor and balance things out a bit... Thanks to all of the fellow native albertans that remembered the football perch and submarine pike that these lakes were known for and let their voices be heard about what they consider a healthy fishing lake. Obviously I wasn't the only one, but at times it sure felt like it at least on this platform...if the remaining perch and pike and Ling and whites have even a average hatch the results will be obvious almost instantly with a little cull of the starving wallies. Thanks Mr Nixon...

Pikeman ... tks for the positive contribution to this thread, well said.

Cheers

David

Zip-in-Z
05-21-2020, 03:24 PM
3-6 fow

Interesting when we were out on Sat, May 16, we didn't see any fish in the shallows or 3-6 fow.

From all the people I see fishing Sylvan, morning, noon & night, specifically across from where I live at the Marina Bay spawning grounds, it won't take long before the Gooberment change the rules and introduce slots or tags or shut it down again .... believe me!

D.

dshot
05-21-2020, 04:24 PM
Interesting when we were out on Sat, May 16, we didn't see any fish in the shallows or 3-6 fow.

From all the people I see fishing Sylvan, morning, noon & night, specifically across from where I live at the Marina Bay spawning grounds, it won't take long before the Gooberment change the rules and introduce slots or tags or shut it down again .... believe me!

D.

Also interesting, maybe depends on the side of the lake. I mainly fish the northern section and find the whites typically shallow most the season less than 8 fow.

Sylvan definitely has seen an increase in fisherman over the past few years especially near easy access points (in town) and lots of inflatables/kayaks near the boat launches. It is a fantastic fishery and I have no problem sharing the water, its for everyone. Being one of the easiest lakes to access and we cannot keep people from retaining what they are legally entitled to. We will see pretty quick what the effect is on the lakes population with the new regs. Just because people can keep fish doesn't mean they need to every time.

Zip-in-Z
05-21-2020, 07:53 PM
Also interesting, maybe depends on the side of the lake. I mainly fish the northern section and find the whites typically shallow most the season less than 8 fow.

Sylvan definitely has seen an increase in fisherman over the past few years especially near easy access points (in town) and lots of inflatables/kayaks near the boat launches. It is a fantastic fishery and I have no problem sharing the water, its for everyone. Being one of the easiest lakes to access and we cannot keep people from retaining what they are legally entitled to. We will see pretty quick what the effect is on the lakes population with the new regs. Just because people can keep fish doesn't mean they need to every time.

Totally agree.

D.

Zip-in-Z
05-21-2020, 07:57 PM
RCMP have something new in Sylvan ..... Neeka, a 5-month-old Potential Police Service Dog (PPSD), joined in on a #SylvanLake RCMP boat patrol over the long weekend. It was her first experience on a boat!

D.

https://i.imgur.com/Ctgrlsu.jpg

That's the Main Pier in background.

https://i.imgur.com/DLqU6nm.jpg

338Bluff
05-21-2020, 10:10 PM
3-6 fow

Thanks for the update.

jwelds191
05-22-2020, 05:09 AM
[QUOTE=Poppa;4172971]Zip - thanks for those Walleye pics.... I have hope now! I'm working on rigging a Lowrance Elite Ti 9 on my boat, which will help me a ton in finding 'em.

Did you buy your unit at BPS Calgary as well? Man, what a deal.

Poppa
05-22-2020, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=Poppa;4172971]Zip - thanks for those Walleye pics.... I have hope now! I'm working on rigging a Lowrance Elite Ti 9 on my boat, which will help me a ton in finding 'em.

Did you buy your unit at BPS Calgary as well? Man, what a deal.I sure did. Was an absolute steal. I'm worse than useless when it comes to "handy" things, so I don't have it mounted/wired up yet, but I've got a buddy coming in the next couple weeks to help us out. Can't wait to get it going!

barbless
05-23-2020, 11:21 AM
RCMP have something new in Sylvan ..... Neeka, a 5-month-old Potential Police Service Dog (PPSD), joined in on a #SylvanLake RCMP boat patrol over the long weekend. It was her first experience on a boat!

D.

https://i.imgur.com/Ctgrlsu.jpg

That's the Main Pier in background.

https://i.imgur.com/DLqU6nm.jpg

What a beautiful looking pup. Looks very interested, ready to go and attentive. Any Idea why they have her? To smell for fish? Invasive species, mussels? Or alcohol and drugs? Hope I get a chance to meet them

Zip-in-Z
05-23-2020, 07:23 PM
What a beautiful looking pup. Looks very interested, ready to go and attentive. Any Idea why they have her? To smell for fish? Invasive species, mussels? Or alcohol and drugs? Hope I get a chance to meet them

I like the Batman look, she must be part wolf, my guess she is being trained to smell out Sylvan non-residents who are here trying to catch our Walleye ... LOL.

Local RCMP members posted the pic's, they didn't say much, I imagine like any new dog from the Innisfail Dog Services Training Center, she's out on field trials to see how she responds, must be part of the training program, hope she's a keeper.

D.

Squidlips
05-24-2020, 01:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200524/013a9ce21c40cc533063b21a15b064ad.jpg
Water was too choppy for the boat Saturday morning, so hit the marina for a bit. Second time at sylvan this exact scenario played out lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zip-in-Z
05-24-2020, 08:40 PM
Water was too choppy for the boat Saturday morning, so hit the marina for a bit. Second time at sylvan this exact scenario played out lol

Tks for sharing, nice pic & Bty Pike .... congrats.

D.

Zip-in-Z
05-24-2020, 08:47 PM
Both Scott & I couldn't get out today, other priorities, drove down Lakeshore there was lots of boats/guys out fishing.

I felt a bit like the kid that got left behind on the dock today .... how did anyone here do ?

D.

https://i.imgur.com/AVhGLq3.jpg

jwelds191
05-25-2020, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=jwelds191;4173901]I sure did. Was an absolute steal. I'm worse than useless when it comes to "handy" things, so I don't have it mounted/wired up yet, but I've got a buddy coming in the next couple weeks to help us out. Can't wait to get it going!

You've got this Poppa!

The instruction manual for mounting the transducer is okay, but you've got to improvise depending on your boats characteristics & layout. It took me a night and a full day to get all the holes (ie 3) drilled, epoxied, and transducer mounted and wiring tucked away nicely. Well worth the work though, it ended up being more intimidating than it actually was.

Had to run to the hardware store 3 times for the small electrical stuff like terminal rings, wiring caps and heat shrink. You've been warned! lol

Poppa
05-25-2020, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=Poppa;4174184]

You've got this Poppa!

The instruction manual for mounting the transducer is okay, but you've got to improvise depending on your boats characteristics & layout. It took me a night and a full day to get all the holes (ie 3) drilled, epoxied, and transducer mounted and wiring tucked away nicely. Well worth the work though, it ended up being more intimidating than it actually was.

Had to run to the hardware store 3 times for the small electrical stuff like terminal rings, wiring caps and heat shrink. You've been warned! lolOnce I knew I needed those terminal rings, I went to CT and found some with the heat shrink tubing, so I can do that I figure. As for mounting the 'ducer......I can't figure out, am I drilling a hole and then putting a bolt into it? Or am I drilling a screw in there (what is the screw "sticking" to, because the hull is only like an inch thick, right??) I've got some marine adhesive/caulking type stuff that we used for another thing. But yeah, the instruction manual seems pretty straight forward. Hoping to have it all set up this week so we can hit Sylvan again on Saturday eve!

appreciate the info sir!

Zip-in-Z
05-25-2020, 05:43 PM
Had to change the tread title ..... another nice walleye, caught this past weekend off the Main Pier.

D.

https://i.imgur.com/HnRaPb6.jpg

That's the Main Pier in 1979..

https://i.imgur.com/tID5BRf.jpg

jwelds191
05-26-2020, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=jwelds191;4175783]Once I knew I needed those terminal rings, I went to CT and found some with the heat shrink tubing, so I can do that I figure. As for mounting the 'ducer......I can't figure out, am I drilling a hole and then putting a bolt into it? Or am I drilling a screw in there (what is the screw "sticking" to, because the hull is only like an inch thick, right??) I've got some marine adhesive/caulking type stuff that we used for another thing. But yeah, the instruction manual seems pretty straight forward. Hoping to have it all set up this week so we can hit Sylvan again on Saturday eve!

appreciate the info sir!

Sorry for the late reply, I hope I didn't derail another day for you without setting up that beauty fishfinder you got now.

Yes, you're supposed to be drilling 3 holes (1 for each of the vertical spaces) in the plastic mounting piece. You'll want to have it mounted horizontal to the waterline, and just below (1/8th of an inch or so) the bottom of your boat.

Once you've pegged where to and drilled the holes, you're going to be putting a bolt through and then a nut inside your boat to secure it. I should mention here, I mentioned in my previous post about adapting to your boats characteristics and layout... I ended up putting the bolt through from the inside, and nut to secure on outside. I'd recommend doing it from the outside, though, as there is the cover cap that needs to cover the entire assembly, and it is based on the bolt going through from the outside.

Cheers!

Poppa
05-26-2020, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=Poppa;4175877]

Sorry for the late reply, I hope I didn't derail another day for you without setting up that beauty fishfinder you got now.

Yes, you're supposed to be drilling 3 holes (1 for each of the vertical spaces) in the plastic mounting piece. You'll want to have it mounted horizontal to the waterline, and just below (1/8th of an inch or so) the bottom of your boat.

Once you've pegged where to and drilled the holes, you're going to be putting a bolt through and then a nut inside your boat to secure it. I should mention here, I mentioned in my previous post about adapting to your boats characteristics and layout... I ended up putting the bolt through from the inside, and nut to secure on outside. I'd recommend doing it from the outside, though, as there is the cover cap that needs to cover the entire assembly, and it is based on the bolt going through from the outside.

Cheers!thanks for the info. I don't have the plastic mounting plate, but have been thinking about getting one. The previous "puck" style 'ducer that came with the boat was just mounted straight into the boat. The plate seems like a good idea tho. Thanks again! Will keep all posted! :)

barbless
05-26-2020, 02:24 PM
next weekend I'm hoping. Even if and when I catch an EYE gonna let it go. 20 inch? Yes, but if I get another that size, maybe!!!!! Been a long time for the taste. Probably let go again anyways. Some nice pics

Poppa
05-26-2020, 02:30 PM
next weekend I'm hoping. Even if and when I catch an EYE gonna let it go. 20 inch? Yes, but if I get another that size, maybe!!!!! Been a long time for the taste. Probably let go again anyways. Some nice pics

let 'em go, let 'em grow!! This province needs more trophy walleyes BADLY....

Zip-in-Z
05-28-2020, 05:16 PM
Sylvan this morning, a picture is worth a thousand words ... how about Glass!

https://i.imgur.com/mQwL2wD.jpg

Our Lighthouse now has a Live Camera Feed ..... here's the link, it looks like it works ..... facing NW that's Marina Bay & Norglenwold area.

http://watersedgesylvan.com/live-video/live-lighthouse-video/

https://i.imgur.com/j4sRSda.png

Squidlips
05-28-2020, 07:46 PM
Sylvan this morning, a picture is worth a thousand words ... how about Glass!

https://i.imgur.com/mQwL2wD.jpg

Our Lighthouse now has a Live Camera Feed ..... here's the link, it looks like it works ..... facing NW that's Marina Bay & Norglenwold area.

http://watersedgesylvan.com/live-video/live-lighthouse-video/

https://i.imgur.com/j4sRSda.png

Wow thanks! Now I can check boating conditions right from my couch lol

Zip-in-Z
05-28-2020, 08:43 PM
Wow thanks! Now I can check boating conditions right from my couch lol

I imagine you won't be the only member saving this link as a bookmark & you can watch me (Live) fishin my favorite spots in Marina Bay.

EDIT: When you open the link click on the play video arrow ... you can watch the waves from your couch, too.

Cheers

David

pikeman06
05-28-2020, 10:34 PM
Awesome. Waters so clear I think I can see a malnourished walleye rootin around like a bonefish on the flats. Go gettem boys, nothin like a fresh wally for supper and one left over for brekkie. Yum. Get a good hatch this spring and a few less wallies hangin around till the eggs hatch and we might just have a year class of whites and pike and perch we can talk about 5 or 6 short years. Imagine that. 😄

Zip-in-Z
05-29-2020, 08:30 AM
Awesome. Waters so clear I think I can see a malnourished walleye rootin around like a bonefish on the flats. Go gettem boys, nothin like a fresh wally for supper and one left over for brekkie. Yum. Get a good hatch this spring and a few less wallies hangin around till the eggs hatch and we might just have a year class of whites and pike and perch we can talk about 5 or 6 short years. Imagine that. 😄

With all the fishin pressure this month, in 5-6 years there may only be a few walleye left in Sylvan. Here's another pic of Mr. Pike for the photo album, taken at Marina Bay just over 37".

EDIT: For those getting excited all Pike in Sylvan are C&R, check your reg's.

D.

https://i.imgur.com/if3JgDr.jpg

dshot
05-29-2020, 09:12 AM
Was out last night for some walleye fishing. Fish were hitting light and moving slow in the north end. Water is pretty cool (50 F) still.

OL_JR
05-29-2020, 10:44 PM
With all the fishin pressure this month, in 5-6 years there may only be a few walleye left in Sylvan. Here's another pic of Mr. Pike for the photo album, taken at Marina Bay just over 37".

EDIT: For those getting excited all Pike in Sylvan are C&R, check your reg's.

D.

https://i.imgur.com/if3JgDr.jpg

With a 1 any size limit I believe that is the point. I had a chat with an area biologist 5 years or so ago and the conversation turned to Sylvan for a bit. At that time the concern was the existing stocked year classes were doing ok but the recruitment was perpetually low so the plan was to cull the walleye that were encroaching on the food base to let others grow. According to that conversation I was completely expecting a cull the following season but it has taken a while and I don't know all the moving parts to it. Considering all the dink walleye we caught yesterday maybe there was a temporary change of heart regarding recruitment but my feelings are this has been in the works for a bit.

Another part of that conversation was how much damage the lakeshore development does on waterbodies like Sylvan. Those weeds that are an eye sore to lakefront property owners are so crucial to a lakes well being yet people clear them out in hopes to make it a little bit "nicer" in their world. I'll tell you right now if I were king for a day lakeshore development would no longer exist on all Alberta lakes.

Getting back to the retention of walleye on Sylvan, I welcome it. It's never going to be a realistic trophy water for walleye and the next best thing they are good for is eating. Ya a few guys are getting some decent fish but in the long run it's not realistic. Pike have historically thrived in that lake and given a bit of room with the limited forage base they can do it again. I know that there are still a few big girls in there to help.

Squidlips
05-30-2020, 10:50 AM
What is everyone’s experience boating in high winds? How fast of a wind prevents you from hitting the water? I know it depends largely on what kind of boat you have. I see the weather is calling for gusts upwards of 45km.

DiabeticKripple
05-30-2020, 06:46 PM
was out at the main pier today. WHAT. A. GONG. SHOW.

It was shoulder to shoulder-ish fishing. Basically 6ft between everybody.

Lots of VERY annoying people out too. Not understanding social distancing at all. Basically all day I had people within 2-3ft behind me talking. I would give them a dirty look and they would just continue yaking away.

The main pier and beach was packed with people, im going to guess mostly from Calgary. Zero distancing happening there as well, especially with the teenagers. Multiple groups of friends hanging out and sun tanning.

There was 2 peace officers patrolling all day, but they werent enforcing any social distancing laws, just looking for liquor really. One did make a comment "it sure doesnt seem like theres a global pandemic going on."

Not sure how the town can continue to let this happen. I can see something coming in the future.

As for fishing, I didnt catch any. I was using a slip bobber with Zip's little jig under it with a piece of minnow. A few fish were caught on p-rigs by other people, all walleye.

Iceman80
05-30-2020, 09:11 PM
What is everyone’s experience boating in high winds? How fast of a wind prevents you from hitting the water? I know it depends largely on what kind of boat you have. I see the weather is calling for gusts upwards of 45km.

When you own a boat you quickly do realize how windy it is in these parts and how suddenly storms can roll in on ya. I've been caught in an 80KM wind on gull before, not pleasant to say the least. You quickly learn to respect the conditions and plan accordingly. I always check the forecast and radar, if there's any white-caps on the lake that's the tipping point for me. I've got a 18.5' bayliner so not small but I've seen to many gong shows when everyone's trying to get off the lake all at once because of storms and or winds picking up. If they forecast a 20-40 wind gusts, I don't bother. That's just me, safe boating!

Squidlips
05-30-2020, 09:14 PM
When you own a boat you quickly do realize how windy it is in these parts and how suddenly storms can roll in on ya. I've been caught in an 80KM wind on gull before, not pleasant to say the least. You quickly learn to respect the conditions and plan accordingly. I always check the forecast and radar, if there's any white-caps on the lake that's the tipping point for me. I've got a 18.5' bayliner so not small but I've seen to many gong shows when everyone's trying to get off the lake all at once because of storms and or winds picking up. If they forecast a 20-40 wind gusts, I don't bother. That's just me, safe boating!

I agree! I felt I was being a bit too cautious, but better safe than sorry. I thought about how crazy it could be with everyone trying to get off the water at the same time.. yikes! Thanks for your input.

Zip-in-Z
05-31-2020, 09:51 PM
We had a major storm go through Sylvan late this afternoon the wind was close to 80 Km/h and approx. 1 3/4" or 40 mm rain, anyone out on the lake in these conditions would be in trouble, hope everyone made it off safe & sound.

D.

DiabeticKripple
06-21-2020, 11:57 AM
Went out yesterday for about 4 hours. Tried the NW bay by sunbreaker.

Jigged for a bit but only caught one 9” walleye. Started trolling around and managed to catch about 10 17”-19” walleye and for some reason a white! I have no idea what a white was doing trying to eat a crankbait, but we got one!

Kept 4 walleyes and the white. It’s been years since I had walleye so it was a nice treat last night. White is currently in a wet brine for smoking later tonight. Never had it before.