PDA

View Full Version : Favorite rapala for night river walleye?

AK47
05-17-2020, 01:12 PM
Want to try night fishing for walleye in rivers in a more active way than just sitting with bait on the bottom and waiting for fish. I have seen at night minnows being chased by walleye in shallows and was always wondering what lure would be the most effective to get them. I assume some floating shallow diving rapala or jerkbait? Any other suggestions or particular favorites?

pikergolf
05-17-2020, 01:28 PM
Want to try night fishing for walleye in rivers in a more active way than just sitting with bait on the bottom and waiting for fish. I have seen at night minnows being chased by walleye in shallows and was always wondering what lure would be the most effective to get them. I assume some floating shallow diving rapala or jerkbait? Any other suggestions or particular favorites?

Any shallow running bait will work. At night they are very aggressive, I run 5 and 6 inch baits all the time. I favor the color blue for the back of the bait, but that is just a personal thing, other colors should work as well. Maybe....:thinking-006:, you know how it is with hot baits. lol

Poppa
05-17-2020, 02:09 PM
I love the Rapala deep sinking slow rise in Shad. That thing is so deadly for so many species, but definitely walleye.

Talking moose
05-17-2020, 02:16 PM
Long and narrow cranks trump shorter fatter ones.

chucklesthe3rd
05-17-2020, 02:48 PM
6 inch fire tiger is my number 1

pikeman06
05-17-2020, 03:11 PM
Rattling husky jerk. Plain old silver with the black back. I take middle treble off as it is hard on their eyes because they usually crush it head first. There's a copper coloured husky jerk with a metalic finish deadly on pike in some waters.

pikergolf
05-17-2020, 03:39 PM
Rattling husky jerk. Plain old silver with the black back. I take middle treble off as it is hard on their eyes because they usually crush it head first. There's a copper coloured husky jerk with a metalic finish deadly on pike in some waters.

I always remove the tail treble, seems to be the one always hooked in the sides of fish.

walleyechaser
05-17-2020, 04:08 PM
Hard to beat the old husky jerk. The slow wobble is deadly at night

WayneChristie
05-17-2020, 07:08 PM
my age you get used to giving the big girls something soft instead :sad0147:

AK47
05-17-2020, 07:54 PM

Wayne, jig and soft bait is my favorite tackle for walleye in deeper waters and during the day. Good to see it can be successful at night in shallows too!

Red Bullets
05-17-2020, 09:15 PM
Minnows don't have to be used just for stationary fishing.Where legal to use minnows I prefer to use a 1/3 oz. lead head jig with no rubber tail on it and a minnow through the eyes. Bounce bottom and twitch on the retrieve. If you use bigger 2 or 3 minnows attach a stinger hook. Too heavy of a jighead and the minnow won't really 'dance' but will drop to bottom too fast.
Goldeye bite in the shallows at night too so river fishing at night can be fun. Same hook.

Talking moose
05-17-2020, 11:13 PM

The gift that keeps on giving nothing....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

whitetail Junkie
05-18-2020, 09:32 AM

Classic Rattlin Rapala’s...medium to big size

Bushleague
05-18-2020, 11:41 AM
I've done well with spinners at night. I think because they throw a lot of vibration at a relatively slow/ steady retrieve I've found them to be pretty good in low light/ stained water situations.

#5 if your just after walleye, a #3 will pick up more goldeye as well. The #3's can be worked shallow at a relative crawl, which is sometimes useful.

jeprli
05-19-2020, 09:01 AM
Smithwick rogue in bigger sizes. Slow rolling action. suspended or floating depending on depth.

58thecat
05-19-2020, 09:48 AM

ya but it's still a mouthful.