PDA

View Full Version : Lake fishing

grampa jim
05-18-2020, 12:47 PM
Not being a fisherman looking for sudj on what rod and reel would be best for lake fishing for trout and pike.

Bushleague
05-18-2020, 01:03 PM
Medium spinning rod 6'6" or 7', 2500 size spinning reel. If you go with mono line, ideally you will want 10 lb or stronger for pike, and about 6lb line for trout, assuming you mean rainbows and brookies etc. You can also use 10-15 lb braid and just tie on different leaders according to what type of fish you are after.

grampa jim
05-19-2020, 09:29 AM
Thanks bushleague that helps

308 man
05-19-2020, 10:38 AM
if you are going troling in a lake with rocky bottoms sticks and other stuff go with 40 pound braid and you might be able to pull loose the hock as lures are expensive.

Koschenk
05-19-2020, 10:17 PM
Medium spinning rod 6'6" or 7', 2500 size spinning reel. If you go with mono line, ideally you will want 10 lb or stronger for pike, and about 6lb line for trout, assuming you mean rainbows and brookies etc. You can also use 10-15 lb braid and just tie on different leaders according to what type of fish you are after.

I am admittedly an inexperienced angler but this just blew my mind. I was aware of tying on leaders for pike so they dont bite through but hadn't even considered going the other direction. Thank you.

walleyechaser
05-20-2020, 12:09 AM
if you are going troling in a lake with rocky bottoms sticks and other stuff go with 40 pound braid and you might be able to pull loose the hock as lures are expensive.

Buy a lure retriever. Attach it to the line and send it down.almost always gets the snag out first try

Bushleague
05-20-2020, 02:44 PM
I am admittedly an inexperienced angler but this just blew my mind. I was aware of tying on leaders for pike so they dont bite through but hadn't even considered going the other direction. Thank you.

Yeah, I used to run this setup on my "canoe trip rod", cause it got used for lots of different species. Personally I just really prefer mono to braid, no matter how many times I try braid I just keep going back to mono. I don't think I have a rod with braid on it right now.

Even 10 lb mono with a 6lb leader can often do the trick for trout in a pinch, depending on the type of fishing. Not the greatest option for throwing real tiny lures any distance.