PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger rod and reel

laker taker2
05-22-2020, 04:39 PM
Spending a week in cold lake this summer. Can’t wait!
I going to get a new rod and reel set up for my down rigger. I already have 2 decent ones with line counters but was thinking I might get a 10.6 mooching set up this time. Anyone use these for lake trout much? They look fun....

Buckhead
05-22-2020, 07:29 PM
I tried that a number of years ago. Didn't enjoy it much.

Switched to a Plueger president reel on a 9 foot ugly stick salmon spinning rod.

Smoky buck
05-22-2020, 07:50 PM
There is no reel advantage to a mooching combo. I grew up using them in BC and still have two mooching combos I use at times as back ups or just something different. They work just fine for lakers or any other species. A level line is less problematic in most cases

jednastka
05-22-2020, 09:44 PM
A true downrigger rod is a very, very specialized rod. It is usually 10 foot to 12 foot long, and floppy like a wet noodle. It is meant to be twisted in a complete circle when on the downrigger, without setting off the release. When the fish hits, the rod sets the hook and the flexibility of the rod prevents the fish from throwing the hook before you get to it. Yes, you can use stiffer rods, but you are always fighting with the early release, particularly when you have to go deep.

I use specialized downrigging rods when I have to, but they are useless for anything else, way way too flexible.

-JR-
05-22-2020, 10:17 PM
Thats all i use are spin casting reels on a 10 ft rod.
Maybe one day i will buy a higher end down rigger rod ,just have not come across any in Edmonton yet .
If there are any in Edmonton that are made for spin casting reels please let me know.

Osky
05-23-2020, 02:21 AM
For me it depends on two things as to which rods I use.
If I’m in a basic aluminum fishing hull boat I use a 9’6 rod, and if I’m in a higher profile boat with higher gunwale lines I use the 10’6.
Rod power in each case depends, medium heavy behind cannonballs or heavy action if we’re pulling magnum dipsys down deep.
On the personal choice side for me it’s St.Croix rods with Okuma level wind linecounter reels.

Osky

fisher Gord
05-23-2020, 07:49 AM
the knuckle buster reels are fun to use. learning curve,sure but add a level to a fish fight that we really don't have to land.

mtbkr
05-23-2020, 08:07 AM
the knuckle buster reels are fun to use. learning curve,sure but add a level to a fish fight that we really don't have to land.

I couldn't agree more. Much more fun to fight fish and IMHO, more power, more control, and no disadvantages once you've mastered the use of one.

My experience comes from Salmon in saltwater but I've used single action reels for lakers in fresh water too.

If there's a seal or sea lion coming after your salmon or you need to steer a big trout away from the logs, you don't need to worry about the slipping clutch on a level-wind reel. You can add EXACTLY as much pressure as you want with that single action reel with no clutch to slip on you.

Just my two cents.

thorne
05-23-2020, 08:36 AM
A true downrigger rod is a very, very specialized rod. It is usually 10 foot to 12 foot long, and floppy like a wet noodle. It is meant to be twisted in a complete circle when on the downrigger, without setting off the release. When the fish hits, the rod sets the hook and the flexibility of the rod prevents the fish from throwing the hook before you get to it. Yes, you can use stiffer rods, but you are always fighting with the early release, particularly when you have to go deep.

I use specialized downrigging rods when I have to, but they are useless for anything else, way way too flexible.

This is spot on!! Level winds are by far the best for decending and control, but using a proper downrigger rod, THAT is the game changer. Learned that after a few years of "doing it wrong". We went from about 30-50% of hits to fish landed to closer to 95% of hits to fish landed. Not to mention the number of times we had to reset due to "clip slip" as we called it, that issue is now eliminated.

Duramaximos
05-23-2020, 10:47 AM
I rarely use anything but a mooching reel/rod setup on Kootenay Lake and the Island. The connection with the fish is better than conventional setups, imo.

I prefer 10'6" rods but they can be a handful in boats narrower than 8'.

I've handled many expensive combos... Islander reels feel amazing. That said, my favorite combo for the price is Fenwick HMX 10'6 MH mooching rod paired with a Shimano GT4000.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

stob
05-23-2020, 11:03 AM
big large arbor fly reels make amazing mooching reels as well

laker taker2
05-25-2020, 12:08 PM
Since I already own 3 line counter reels maybe I just add a nice 10.6 rod and use one reel I have. Instead of experimenting with a mooching reel for only a few days a year. I get to fish cold lake every other year or so. Always do well but it’s kinda fun just to try new stuff.