PDA

View Full Version : Boat trailer tires

trophyhunter
05-23-2020, 07:28 AM
Hey all, dumb question on your boat trailer tires...what air pressure is everyone running? My tires say 80 psi cold, seems like too much to me. Quick search on google says too be running max pressure for wear, weight, etc.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-JR-
05-23-2020, 08:14 AM
Your ST trailer tire are made to handle higher air pressure. Mine are always up there ,as I have a very heavy boat.

Fishwhere
05-23-2020, 08:45 AM
Mine are high like that too. I think i have nitrogen in mine for less loss too.

oilngas
05-23-2020, 09:02 AM
For me the solution to the question of tire air pressure was to use the temperature gun I had bought for another issue. My small 16' Cresty lives on trailer tires that suggest 50 psi for a max. pressure. My experience is even with the small boat and trailer (1200 #'s on a scale) if the pressure in the tires goes below about 45 psi the tires will heat up quite a bit. 50 psi and they heat up but not to the extent of 45 psi. I also check the car tires on the Sequoia and they also like to run cooler at the max. air pressure Toyota and tire manufacture (Hankook) suggest (33 and 35 psi). The temp gun also comes handy to check the trailer bearing temperature. I also bought a tire tread depth gauge and check the tread profile across the tire face. Running at max. pressure has had no effect on that.
Engineers like data!!

opto55
05-23-2020, 09:51 AM
Good post oil gas !

barbless
05-23-2020, 10:20 AM
I always check my air pressure before any road trip. Mine run at 50 psi cold. 215/75R14 Load range "C". Max load 1850. Says on the trailer sticker and sidewall of tire. Thanks for the reminder I will be taking it out on Monday for the first trip.

TROLLER
05-23-2020, 11:37 AM
if your tires are saying 80 psi you must be running 12 inch. Mine says 70

Running that high a psi will cause the tire to wear on the inside of the tread. I run mine at 50 and have had a lot longer tread life. Running at 80 and I am sure you will see a wear in the centre of the tire. Adjust down to 60 or so to increase your tires life.

Poppa
05-25-2020, 01:52 PM
hey, since we're talking about this stuff......

If a guy wanted to change out his boat trailer tires at a shop, could you take the whole thing in there (boat on trailer) to get them to do it? It seems weird, but why would I do it when the boat is in the water?

tool
05-25-2020, 02:06 PM
hey, since we're talking about this stuff......

If a guy wanted to change out his boat trailer tires at a shop, could you take the whole thing in there (boat on trailer) to get them to do it? It seems weird, but why would I do it when the boat is in the water?

Of course you can.

Poppa
05-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Of course you can.awesome - thanks! I'll keep it in mind down the road. I think my current tires are still good for awhile, but I was always curious...when it comes time.

fordtruckin
05-25-2020, 11:08 PM
For me the solution to the question of tire air pressure was to use the temperature gun I had bought for another issue. My small 16' Cresty lives on trailer tires that suggest 50 psi for a max. pressure. My experience is even with the small boat and trailer (1200 #'s on a scale) if the pressure in the tires goes below about 45 psi the tires will heat up quite a bit. 50 psi and they heat up but not to the extent of 45 psi. I also check the car tires on the Sequoia and they also like to run cooler at the max. air pressure Toyota and tire manufacture (Hankook) suggest (33 and 35 psi). The temp gun also comes handy to check the trailer bearing temperature. I also bought a tire tread depth gauge and check the tread profile across the tire face. Running at max. pressure has had no effect on that.
Engineers like data!!

My work boat is a 16’ Crestliner and I run the trailer tires at 45psi. Max pressure is 50. Haven’t had any issues hauling in 3 years.

EZM
05-30-2020, 12:11 AM
if your tires are saying 80 psi you must be running 12 inch. Mine says 70

Running that high a psi will cause the tire to wear on the inside of the tread. I run mine at 50 and have had a lot longer tread life. Running at 80 and I am sure you will see a wear in the centre of the tire. Adjust down to 60 or so to increase your tires life.

That's not always the case - the PSI rating on the sidewall is relevant to load rating (and construction) of the tire for it's designed purpose I'm almost 100% certain.

On my boat C's are 50 psi and D's are 65 PSI so wheel size is not a determining factor but Tire Bob (if he sees this thread) can probably confirm or correct that.

I should also mention, I rarely fill them to max, maybe 5 lbs under to give them room to warm on those longer road trips or gravel (which seems to be less forgiving).

oilngas
05-30-2020, 09:18 AM
Carlisle states that three years after manufacture their tires have lost about 30% of their load carrying capacity. Yes i understand they are in the tire "selling" business, but the point i'm making is all tires start to deteriorate once they are manufactured. All anecdotal and from tire sellers is that after about 4 or 5 years all tires should be inspected for sidewall cracking etc. and therefore deterioration, and possible replacement. Again from sellers, but I think its still an issue that needs to be considered.

graybeard
05-30-2020, 09:41 AM
I have a 14' Lund tinner...I run 45psi and all is ok.

My problem was torquing the nuts and the tire spinning at the same time. I had to put a pipe through the rim to lock it up. No biggie.....

As for tire replacement, my trailer, like yours, is in and out of the water and that sun's UV is real hard on the side walls. I replace tires every 4 years just for safety if nothing else....the price is very reasonable....just add it to the other B.O.A.T. costs...

Good luck,

Dean2
05-30-2020, 10:08 AM
Expiry dates on tires is like expiry on peanut butter. Never existed a few years back. I have trailers with tires that are at least 20 years old. When they blow or wear out I replace them. If they were heavily checked I would replace them. So far, still working fine.

With respect to tire pressure, go by what is on the tire and the load you are putting them under. There is no common ground. I have 15" trailer tires that take 40 pounds max and some that take 60. Same load rating, both radials.

graybeard
05-30-2020, 10:25 AM
Expiry dates on tires is like expiry on peanut butter. Never existed a few years back. I have trailers with tires that are at least 20 years old. When they blow or wear out I replace them. If they were heavily checked I would replace them. So far, still working fine.

With respect to tire pressure, go by what is on the tire and the load you are putting them under. There is no common ground. I have 15" trailer tires that take 40 pounds max and some that take 60. Same load rating, both radials.

Where I park my boat it takes the sun all year.....I am going to initiate a form of protection; either a cover or wooden barrier...

My vehicles are the same. I get that weather checking before I am down to 50% tread wear. I now have a cover for my truck tires but still looking for something smaller for my boat tires....

Anyone ever see the small covers?