PDA

View Full Version : Unjust F&W fines

mariocerna
05-26-2020, 09:26 AM
Hello Friends, this is my story: I went to buy my tags for special walleye harvest for lake St. Anne in Cabela’s last Wednesday, that day they did not give me the wires because there were no more, I did not give much importance to that. I got home and put the tags in my tackle box. Last weekend a friend and I went fishing with my son, a friend of his and my friend's daughter. It was a fun day of fishing in which we harvested 5 walleyes of the compulsory size. After taking the fish out of the water I proceeded to tag them, but I realized that I did not have my wires, I asked my friend for wires but he did not bring them at that time, the wires were in his truck.
It was very easy for us to decide that when we got to the boat launch we were going to tag the fish. After finishing the fishing we arrived at the boat launch, then my son and his friend who are teenagers without asking but with all the good intention of helping, took the cooler with the fish and pops and started walking towards the pickup that was about 100 meters from the boat launch. Almost arriving at the truck, the kids were stopped by an F&W officer who checked the cooler.
The officer approached us and we discuss the situation, we expressed our intention to tag the fish at the boat launch, we showed our permits and our tags and the fish were within the size limits. Even so we ended up with the fish and tags confiscated and a fine of 150 dollars per fish in the reason of improperly tagged fish. I really did not think we were ended up fined, I thought we would receive a warning or perhaps a lighter fine. My friend had a fine of 300 dollars and I a fine of 450 dollars, this ruined what had been an excellent day of fishing.
Do you believe that you should appeal this fine in court? on the grounds that we have had any history of F&W fines,we had all of our tags, licences, permits and the intention to do the right things, but due to a good intention of the kids and a problem of wire shortage in Cabela’s we ended up being unjustly fined.

HuyFishin
05-26-2020, 09:35 AM
My take on the situation. If I was the officer i would definitely have gave you the ticket. Cant take everyones word for it. For all I know you could have put the fish in your vehicle and saved your tags for your next trip. Having the tags on hand is still the outdoorsmans responsibility. If you did not have the tags available you should have put them walleyes back in the water. Law states you have to put tags on as soon as they are harvested. Putting fish in the live well or stringers and waiting till your trip is over is a no no. So this was your first mistake. I remember not receiving my wires for my tags from the fishing hole so i never used my tags. I waited to go back and ask for them. It wasnt a big deal and wasn't ready to take a fine.

If you do try to appeal this case he has all the proof that you broke the law. Not sure if its worth it. Sorry to hear about all your trouble. I hope this is a lesson learned.

Edit: I forget to mention, regardless of the childrens good deed, you still broke the law from the start

Talking moose
05-26-2020, 09:47 AM
Have to give you a ticket man.
Otherwise every poacher would be doing this without having to worry about repprocutions.
Sorry. Lesson learned.

58thecat
05-26-2020, 09:51 AM
My take on the situation. If I was the officer i would definitely have gave you the ticket. Cant take everyones word for it. For all I know you could have put the fish in your vehicle and saved your tags for your next trip. Having the tags on hand is still the outdoorsmans responsibility. If you did not have the tags available you should have put them walleyes back in the water. Law states you have to put tags on as soon as they are harvested. Putting fish in the live well or stringers and waiting till your trip is over is a no no. So this was your first mistake. I remember not receiving my wires for my tags from the fishing hole so i never used my tags. I waited to go back and ask for them. It wasnt a big deal and wasn't ready to take a fine.

If you do try to appeal this case he has all the proof that you broke the law. Not sure if its worth it. Sorry to hear about all your trouble. I hope this is a lesson learned.

Edit: I forget to mention, regardless of the childrens good deed, you still broke the law from the start

exactly...lessens learned...for all involved.

dam I made a quick cut through a provincial park on my quad about 10 years ago ice fishing...my fault 100%...no excuses...$270.00 later...lessens learnt.

Positrac
05-26-2020, 09:53 AM
Otherwise every poacher would be doing this without having to worry about repprocutions.
Sorry. Lesson learned.

As much as getting a fine sucks I’d have to agree with what has been posted so far.

Fitscottn
05-26-2020, 09:55 AM
I will side with F&W on this.

Similar to hunting, the first thing you do after you walk up to the harvested animal is put the tag on.

Honest mistakes are sadly expensive lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuyFishin
05-26-2020, 10:00 AM
I would also like to take this moment to welcome you to this forum. :)

DiabeticKripple
05-26-2020, 10:02 AM
Im on side with F&W, if you had no way to tag the fish, then the person shouldnt have kept them.

How does F&W actually know that you were going to tag them?

If you are going to fish a lake that has retention with tags, you better double check you have the tags, wires, and a stapler to help keep the tags on.

OL_JR
05-26-2020, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately the only option for you without wires was to throw all your walleye back and you didn't do that. Gonna have to suck it up and pay the fine.

Now another discussion is the tags themselves and how ridiculous it is they haven't come up with something more durable, but that's what we got to work with at the moment.

Sparkle
05-26-2020, 10:03 AM
We had the same situation at Pigeon. Canadian Tire had run out of the wires needed. What I did was use leader material instead ran it through the mouth and gills and stuck the tags to it. I also used a stapler to secure the tags onto the leader line . We were stopped by a F and W officer. He checked our catch , shook his head and thanked us for our ingenuity. The key is show the tags were secured to the fish. Good luck

BuckCuller
05-26-2020, 10:09 AM
Just like others here, I wouldn’t say the fines were unjust. The officer used his judgment to the best of his ability and came to the conclusion that after trying to tag the first fish once you caught it you should have known that you did not have the proper means to tag the fish and should have released it and not kept anymore.
He wouldn’t be able to tell if it was just a mistake or weather you have kept five limits already doing the same thing so people need to be held to a standard.

Some times mistakes cost money just like a fender bender.
But I guarantee, you will have your wires next time.

mariocerna
05-26-2020, 10:28 AM
I know that the fine was lawfully, but like a case when you get laid off without proper notice and you get a lawful but unjust severance; then you have to go to the a labor lawyer and he gathers a history of legal plaintiffs to support your case he sues your former employer and then you get a more just severance. Here why I’m asking is not whether the fine is lawful or not, I’m asking whether this can be win in court because can be supported by the legal plaintiffs history, perhaps there is a lawyer in this group that can give more advice.

Fishwhere
05-26-2020, 10:30 AM
I hate to say it but i agree with F & W. They literally didnt have a choice in that situation. The tag rules are very clear. I do think you should appeal though and hopefully your fines get reduced.

I dont necassarily agree with losing the fish too - even though its menial.

Also to add - what is saying you havent done that 10 times in a year and just have the tags as a back up for a situation like this? Not saying thats what you do, but you could....

hal53
05-26-2020, 10:30 AM
I know that the fine was lawfully, but like a case when you get laid off without proper notice and you get a lawful but unjust severance; then you have to go to the a labor lawyer and he gathers a history of legal plaintiffs to support your case he sues your former employer and then you get a more just severance. Here why I’m asking is not whether the fine is lawful or not, I’m asking whether this can be win in court because can be supported by the legal plaintiffs history, perhaps there is a lawyer in this group that can give more advice.
The law is very clearly stated in the regulations. You broke the law, got caught and received a fine..pay up.

HuyFishin
05-26-2020, 10:36 AM
I hate to say it but i agree with F & W. They literally didnt have a choice in that situation. The tag rules are very clear. I do think you should appeal though and hopefully your fines get reduced.

I dont necassarily agree with losing the fish too - even though its menial.

Also to add - what is saying you havent done that 10 times in a year and just have the tags as a back up for a situation like this? Not saying thats what you do, but you could....

Losing the fish will have to be a part of it. Its still illegally harvested fish so I dont think he would allow you to keep it. The Officer rather throw the walleye back in the water regardless if its still alive or dead. Let nature do its thing.

Not on the same level but if someone was to steal candy from a candy store. The officers not gonna say you might aswell eat it since I already fined you.

Talking moose
05-26-2020, 10:51 AM

Cmon man. Is it really worth it? It might be different if alligators had bitten your hands off and you had no way of affixing a tag.

pikeman06
05-26-2020, 10:53 AM
The tag system is pretty open to abuse. The f&w know this and have heard every excuse in the book. Of course they are gonna charge people being non complient, that's their job. I don't see much ground for appeal in your case.

mariocerna
05-26-2020, 11:02 AM
When you lost your job, have two mortgages and 4 teenagers. Every cent is worth fighting.

MooseRiverTrapper
05-26-2020, 11:33 AM
If you sent someone for the wires and left the fish be a different story. Or affixed tags with tape, used leaders for wire etc... Multiple parties on your boat failed to be prepared. Nothing preventing you from throwing the cooler in the truck taking off and coming back and doing it again tomorrow. Crappy deal but that’s the law.

whitetail Junkie
05-26-2020, 11:36 AM
My only suggestion is that if anyone else runs into a similar situation like this and doesn’t have the wire at least run some fishing line or string through the gills and fold your tag over it.

walking buffalo
05-26-2020, 11:42 AM
The fines are just.

Go to court, represent yourself.
You have the time and the financial burden to make it worthwhile.
You might even receive more compassion there than here on AO.

fisher Gord
05-26-2020, 11:46 AM
F&W know that there are other ways to affix the tags. A leader has been mentioned. a short piece of small rope tied in with a knot and the tag wrapped around. no wires is no excuse for not tagging.

jungleboy
05-26-2020, 11:53 AM
Simple solution , don’t buy the walleye tags in the first place . I see it as another money grab when you get to pay $3.65 per walleye tag for $2.00 worth of fish. How desperate are we to keep a bloody walleye? Soon they will charge you by the pound.
If the fisheries department is that strapped for cash maybe they should put a 1/2% fish management tax on boats and fishing gear and everything fishing related.Doesn't matter if you use your boat for fishing or not. Actually if you buy a wake boat or a jet ski you should have the privilege of paying a higher fisheries tax because of how annoying your boat is to fishermen.:) I’m quite certain they would raise all the money they would ever need that way, I am also quite certain they would spend it all on things that do nothing to enhance the fisheries in this province.

Rvsask
05-26-2020, 11:56 AM
F&W know that there are other ways to affix the tags. A leader has been mentioned. a short piece of small rope tied in with a knot and the tag wrapped around. no wires is no excuse for not tagging.

I agree. I think you're trying to win a fight that you won't win. Learn from the mistake, let your kids learn from it too, don't go out of your way to try show them you were right,......
when you were not.

CanuckShooter
05-26-2020, 12:40 PM
Simple solution , don’t buy the walleye tags in the first place . I see it as another money grab when you get to pay $3.65 per walleye tag for $2.00 worth of fish. How desperate are we to keep a bloody walleye? Soon they will charge you by the pound.
If the fisheries department is that strapped for cash maybe they should put a 1/2% fish management tax on boats and fishing gear and everything fishing related.Doesn't matter if you use your boat for fishing or not. Actually if you buy a wake boat or a jet ski you should have the privilege of paying a higher fisheries tax because of how annoying your boat is to fishermen.:) I’m quite certain they would raise all the money they would ever need that way, I am also quite certain they would spend it all on things that do nothing to enhance the fisheries in this province.

I have to side with this sentiment, next thing will be grouse tags for the fall.

Who Da Fisherman
05-26-2020, 12:44 PM
We had the same situation at Pigeon. Canadian Tire had run out of the wires needed. What I did was use leader material instead ran it through the mouth and gills and stuck the tags to it. I also used a stapler to secure the tags onto the leader line . We were stopped by a F and W officer. He checked our catch , shook his head and thanked us for our ingenuity. The key is show the tags were secured to the fish. Good luck

^^^This, we did the same, I think it worked better as those wires are small for Class A eyes.
WDF

lyallpeder
05-26-2020, 01:14 PM
I would have given you the ticket too. It’s your responsibility to tag the fish as soon as you harvest them.

You could pay $20 on it and ask for more time to pay then as long as your putting $10 on it now and then they will probably keep giving you time. I believe the online fine payment fee is waved right now.

sns2
05-26-2020, 01:18 PM
My only suggestion is that if anyone else runs into a similar situation like this and doesn’t have the wire at least run some fishing line or string through the gills and fold your tag over it.This is exactly what I was thinking. I feel badly for the OP, but there's not much else to say really.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

58thecat
05-26-2020, 01:22 PM
When you lost your job, have two mortgages and 4 teenagers. Every cent is worth fighting.

not in this case as you would be chucking more funds out to fight a loosing battle....save the cash and buy some groceries....teenagers eat like horses.

Dewey Cox
05-26-2020, 01:28 PM
Every poacher ever caught was "just about to put the tag on".

But, if you're unemployed anyway, go sit in court and fight it.
At the very least they'll give you more time or a payment plan.

ghostguy6
05-26-2020, 01:33 PM
Go to the court date, enter a plea of guilty but express to the judge that you now realize you made a mistake and explain the situation as to how it happened. The judge may reduce the fines and or allow you extra time to pay. He may even throw the case out as the tags were confiscated as well as the fish.

barbless
05-26-2020, 02:06 PM
Go to the court date, enter a plea of guilty but express to the judge that you now realize you made a mistake and explain the situation as to how it happened. The judge may reduce the fines and or allow you extra time to pay. He may even throw the case out as the tags were confiscated as well as the fish.

Might be worth a try. Bring the kids and let them experience the court and proceedings, lesson learned. If you have a liable and honest explanation the judge might reduce. As some and most have said, you are and will be always guilty for the way you handled the situation. You did wrong, by not putting tags on when caught. Know what is right. I might have gone so far as to push that tag as far down the throat of the Wally and told the F&W to get it out by gutting it. There are always ways to attach a tag and keep it there. Improvise. Sorry it happened and hope it never does again

Talking moose
05-26-2020, 03:30 PM
If you go the court route, bring the kids. Put on their rattiest clothes, don’t comb their hair, and maybe find a dead bird, tie a short string around it, and have your youngest drag it around like it was his pet that he’s having a hard time letting go of.
Judge might even cut you a cheque! Haha.
Seriously though good luck.
Let us know how it panned out.

HuyFishin
05-26-2020, 03:37 PM
If you go the court route, bring the kids. Put on their rattiest clothes, don’t comb their hair, and maybe find a dead bird, tie a short string around it, and have your youngest drag it around like it was his pet that he’s having a hard time letting go of.
Judge might even cut you a cheque! Haha.
Seriously though good luck.
Let us know how it panned out.

hahaha sounds like they would be sent to child services going this route.

I personally dont agree with bringing the children to make some sob story for the judge to hear. Just not the right thing. I would just plead guilty tell them its an accident and request for it to be reduced especially with the covid thing being difficult for everyone financially.

bobtodrick
05-26-2020, 03:39 PM
hahaha sounds like they would be sent to child services going this route.

I personally dont agree with bringing the children to make some sob story for the judge to hear. Just not the right thing. I would just plead guilty tell them its an accident and request for it to be reduced especially with the covid thing being difficult for everyone financially.

Gotta admit I agree with this. Bring the kids and show them how you can do wrong and then whine and hope the judge has sympathy.
Why not just instill in the kids that if you break the law, even mistakenly, to man up and face the consequences.

wildwoods
05-26-2020, 04:18 PM

Haha i have had to do the leader material for tags wire thing lol.
Any hardware store sells haywire. This shouldnt be an issue. Go prepared and you are good to go. Sorry OP I know it stings. If everyone was honest we wouldn't need officers.

SNAPFisher
05-26-2020, 07:30 PM

Sounds like you already had your mind made up before posting on here. Not sure what you thought you would get out of this.

Good luck though if you do fight it. And, I understand why you would.

Lefty-Canuck
05-26-2020, 07:35 PM
Rules state you must tag the fish immediately upon retaining it... so therefore at MOST you should have had one untagged fish... or none. When you went to tag the first one you should have realized you did not have what you needed and either went to go get it OR stopped fishing and throw that one back... or have a catch and release day.

You know what you had to do... but chose not to, accept the fines.

LC

roper1
05-26-2020, 07:59 PM
Sorry. Lesson learned.

^^This^^

spurly
05-26-2020, 08:03 PM
Rules state you must tag the fish immediately upon retaining it... so therefore at MOST you should have had one untagged fish... or none. When you went to tag the first one you should have realized you did not have what you needed and either went to go get it OR stopped fishing and throw that one back... or have a catch and release day.

You know what you had to do... but chose not to, accept the fines.

LC

Exactly.

Supergrit
05-26-2020, 10:02 PM
Ticket does suck for sure and it was a mistake and lesson learned but once you realized you had no wires why not just go back to the truck and get them and start fishing again.

Dielbo
05-26-2020, 11:13 PM

God dang it Moose, don't tell him that. Seriously though, as a former lawyer who spent years in criminal courtrooms, just don't do it. "We" (judge, prosecutor, defence, court personnel) are there every day and will recognize it for the cheap ploy it is. Already seen that move a couple hundred times...

-JR-
05-27-2020, 05:51 AM
You sure opened up a can of worms here ! What were you thinking :thinking-006:

Why did you not get the wire as soon as you caught the first walleye.
You knew if you would of gotten caught ,you would of gotten the fine.
You took the chance. man up and plea guilty .

58thecat
05-27-2020, 05:57 AM
God dang it Moose, don't tell him that. Seriously though, as a former lawyer who spent years in criminal courtrooms, just don't do it. "We" (judge, prosecutor, defence, court personnel) are there every day and will recognize it for the cheap ploy it is. Already seen that move a couple hundred times...

Exactly.....OP mentions hard times....better ways to spend your dollar and time too....go fishing legally and enjoy a day out on the water.:)

sportman
05-27-2020, 07:47 AM

To say that if you fight this I hope you lose sounds a little too crass so I will just say I hope you don't win. I think you are just looking to play the system and hope that by wasting everyones time you can get away with something. Your "history" has nothing to do with it, just means you weren't caught before.

spoiledsaskhunter
05-27-2020, 08:11 AM
have to go with the crowd here....

the best outcome for this would be a lesson for the kids. explain to them that the fine is high, but you deserved it......for everything you do, there is a consequence, so remember for next time; before you do something wrong, consider what the consequence might be, and act accordingly.

what kind of example is whining to the judge and asking for leniency going to be for young people who need to be taught the right way to do things? have a discussion with them and explain that the warden wasn't the bad guy, he was doing his job.

FlyTheory
05-27-2020, 08:16 AM
OP, sorry man. I know the feeling of money being tight, but if it was extremely tight, staying home would have been a better option. Leisurely activities are really best for when you can afford it. In the past when I was low on money, don’t fish (gas - especially if towing a boat - and tags and licence cost add up). Also investing in time to apply for CERB, EI, and look for a new vocation would be more valuable. Once you have stability, fish away!

Sorry it happened, but that’s the way it goes. Make a mistake and there are consequences... Cabelas not having wires is not an excuse, as there are many items that could do the same thing.

FishHunterPro
05-27-2020, 08:30 AM
Not worth fighting this one.

FishHunterPro
05-27-2020, 08:35 AM
You should have went back for the wire when you first realized you didn’t have it and put the fish back. I don’t think you will do that again so the system works. This is not intended to be a rude post it is what it is.

Jims83cj5
05-27-2020, 08:37 AM
As with any ticket, you can go to the court house the day your ticket is due to be paid and go into the crown prosecutors office a give him/her your story. They usually give you a break of some kind. I would never plead not guilty to this and request to see the judge, you may get a 5 year fishing suspension because you made him/her mad by blatantly dis-obeying the law and not understanding or accepting you did wrong and are teaching your children the wrong things.

PlayDoh
05-27-2020, 09:34 AM
Unjust fines? If you don’t realize your fault in this, you deserve to have your license revolked. Seriously, give your head a shake. You went out fishing knowing you couldn’t tag them, and as stated, kept retaining fish without tagging. Your at fault plain and simple.
I will say the fines are a bit steep, yet if they weren’t people would be risking the tickets everyday.
Don’t expect to spin some story on a judge. They’ve heard them all and will likely cut you off and increase your fines and punishment. For gods sake don’t bring your kids to court, I don’t even think their allowed.
If your honestly going to struggle with paying the fines, go to court and plead guilty. Be a man about it, and tell the truth. If your lucky you Might catch a bit of a break. Again, don’t try and make comparisons to labour laws or whatever.

I’ve seen zip-ties used, yet the leader idea sounds much better. Even plain fishing line with the knot in the sticker would have been a decent attempt. Yet knowing you were going fishing and didn’t have wires, and didn’t even attempt to make your own, makes me suspect you knew the whole time you were in the wrong and the chances those fish would have met a frying pan tag free are decent. I don’t know you, so don’t take it personally. Your labour law circle logic was a red flag IMO.

bucksman
05-27-2020, 10:18 AM
I would also like to take this moment to welcome you to this forum. :)

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

bucksman
05-27-2020, 10:20 AM
Bought the tags Wednesday, had plenty of time to go and find some wires before the weekend. Your friend had wires in the truck so when you realized you forgot them then go and get them. plenty of other ways to affix them if you didn't want to drive back to the boat launch. There was 4 people on the boat and not one person could think of a way to attach the tag?
No one here is going to give you advice on how to get away with poaching

Justfishin73
05-27-2020, 10:32 AM
Got our walleye tags at CT, took forever to get them, so left quickly, not noticing that only 2 wires for 6 tags. Didn't notice till that night. PITA--but went back and got the other 4. As many have said, just about anything could have been used. I make every trip out planning to get stopped by a CO. Takes an extra 5 min to do a gear check, to prevent a bigger headache later.

James Henry
05-27-2020, 11:52 AM
You should have clued in when you went to tag your first fish, when you couldn't tag It, it should have gone back in the water.
It's a hard lesson, but a lesson none the less.
JH

Talking moose
05-27-2020, 01:53 PM
Haha it partially pertains.....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200527/b9e3e81b91a35110f8847b00929b3e10.jpg

Albertadiver
05-27-2020, 02:00 PM
Very sorry to hear of your current strain with employment and funds.

I guess I echo everyone else related to the facts of the case though....

Pixel Shooter
05-27-2020, 02:01 PM
Or the admin is the OP
Group is the moderator
OP is the group :D

Positrac
05-27-2020, 02:18 PM
Or the admin is the OP
Group is the moderator

I personally have no issue if someone wants to get a little sloshed before 2:00 in the afternoon. Good on ya...

Who Da Fisherman
05-27-2020, 06:17 PM

Go to court, plead your case, plead guilty most likely will be lowered.
Then ask for time to pay or instalments or even community service work.
Teachable moment for all involved.
WDF

Who Da Fisherman
05-27-2020, 06:20 PM
Or the admin is the OP
Group is the moderator

Yipe!

Battle Rat
05-27-2020, 06:40 PM
You could have used a piece of mono witb the knot inside the tag or a wire leader.
Could have at least made an effort to tag them.

Jigger
05-27-2020, 07:01 PM
Don't listen to these boot lickers, screw the govt go fight for what you can.

Penner
05-27-2020, 07:41 PM
Agree with most, rules are the rules, most are clear cut black & white, I would have ticketed you also without hesitation. The penalties could have likely been far more severe.

Your personal situation has nothing to do with why you broke the law and why you were ticketed, intentional or not. The season opened May 15th you had +10 months to fill your tags.

Pay the fine, learn a lesson, move on.

liar
05-28-2020, 07:14 AM

thats good for a chuckle

liar
05-28-2020, 07:18 AM

Absolutely , the courts dont have real crimes to deal with so lets plug them up with our " entitled " claims , i mean , arent the laws for everyone else ? I mean , isnt that book you get with your licence more of a suggestion of what you should do ?

good luck !

Chaoticelk
05-28-2020, 07:33 AM
As most poachers feel when they get caught it’s always unjust not deserved you hear about it all the time. Good you got caught it’s always easier following the regulations cheaper in the end

bucksman
05-28-2020, 08:34 AM

And you are the friend that had the wires in the truck im assuming?

chickensashimi
05-28-2020, 10:36 AM
Playing covidiot seems to be the thing to do these days.........well at least that’s what CO’s bin tellin me this year, one said he actually caught a group from Calgary fishing a trophy walleye lake while it was closed, part of their answer was “because we’re from Calgary, we didn’t know”......at what point I shook my head and said “cityots”.........I’ve run into them several times this year, no tickets, you know why? Because I’m not an idiot and follow the rules!! Furthermore, I ain’t gonna go online ( this ain’t Facebook princess) and cry because I’m at fault!! These people and all their excuses are extremely irritating to say the least!! Oh, and not putting the tags on the animals is one of the oldest tricks in the poachers hand book, if the CO’s don’t catch them without the tags, they reuse them, and if caught, play stupid......like the op!!!!!

cody j
05-28-2020, 10:47 AM
Should have been easy to attach the tags with some fishing line

Dewey Cox
05-28-2020, 11:43 AM
"Unjust fines"

https://pics.me.me/you-keep-using-that-word-i-do-not-think-it-37224536.png

Moosetalker
05-28-2020, 02:28 PM
Yeah no sympathy here.

Seen a few individuals doing a fry up on the ice when I confronted them about lake having zero walleye retention the guy just rubbed his belly and laughed and said like to see fish cops prove it.

To make matters worse he and his co conspirator once they hit their limit then were sticking perch that had been out of water for over 10 min on the ice back in a hole when they caught a bigger one. that picture of 10 deader's went to the local CO along with their plate #

HuyFishin
05-28-2020, 02:38 PM
Yeah no sympathy here.

Seen a few individuals doing a fry up on the ice when I confronted them about lake having zero walleye retention the guy just rubbed his belly and laughed and said like to see fish cops prove it.

To make matters worse he and his co conspirator once they hit their limit then were sticking perch that had been out of water for over 10 min on the ice back in a hole when they caught a bigger one. that picture of 10 deader's went to the local CO along with their plate #

you should have gut punched him so he would throw it back up haha :fighting0030:

SNAPFisher
05-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Furthermore, I ain’t gonna go online ( this ain’t Facebook princess) and cry because I’m at fault!! These people and all their excuses are extremely irritating to say the least!!

A little strongly worded but you and I think a lot alike :)

JDK71
05-28-2020, 03:32 PM
As with any ticket, you can go to the court house the day your ticket is due to be paid and go into the crown prosecutors office a give him/her your story. They usually give you a break of some kind. I would never plead not guilty to this and request to see the judge, you may get a 5 year fishing suspension because you made him/her mad by blatantly dis-obeying the law and not understanding or accepting you did wrong and are teaching your children the wrong things.

Well said

pikeman06
05-28-2020, 05:23 PM
The way this is unfolding I'm thinking a suspension for a year for wasting the courts time. I always thought wallies were a thousand bux apiece and a year in the penalty box. Hey original poster, is that what you gonna say to the judge what you said here about being broke and that's why you didn't tag them proper etc?

liar
05-28-2020, 06:35 PM
"The way this is unfolding I'm thinking a suspension for a year for wasting the courts time."

I dont know about a licence suspension but when I hear that the courts let a bunch of crook go because they couldnt get a trial in a reasonable time it makes my blood boil , knowing that people who admittedly break the law and then tie up the courts , judge , crown prosecutor , witnesses ect just to try weasel out of tickets like this , speeding tickets , parking tickets , etc .
Rather than a license suspension , having to cover court costs if found guilty would probably make a lot of people grow a conscience and think twice about breaking the law , let alone dragging it though the courts in hopes it gets dropped .

mariocerna
05-28-2020, 07:43 PM
I want to thank every body for your input, and i will be posting in September what was the end of this. In appreciation for your responses I'm posting this recipe for you to enjoy.

Angry Bear Paw Soup

INGREDIENTS
For the Broth
2 Kilos of hands, paws of black, brown or polar bear
3 Liters of tap water
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
1 large tomato
1 head of garlic
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons of bell pepper
1 Tablespoon habanero powder (optional if you don't man up)

For soup
1 large yellow onion, cut into half slices
2 medium white potatoes cut into 2 cm cubes
1 large carrot cut into 1 cm cubes
1 medium green bell pepper cut into half slits

Extra to taste
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 Bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
3 Lemons broken into 4 pieces each

INSTRUCTIONS
For the broth
1. Rinse the paws with plenty of cold water to whiten them and remove dirt and hair.
2. Cut the paws with a sharp knife, 6 large pieces should come out of each hand, 5 pieces of each of the fingers and 1 large piece of the wrist or heel.
3. Remove the seeds from the tomato and pass it on a grater to discard the skin.
4. Put the 3 liters of water in a large pot, the hands already cut, the grated tomato, the garlic head cut in half, the paprika and habanero powder, the vinegar and the salt. All the meat must be submerged in the broth water, cook covered over a very low heat for 10 hours, making sure that not too much water evaporates, fill with more water if necessary.
5. After 10 hours, remove the meat and bone it carefully, carefully cleaning the bones of the gelatin and meat that may be stuck.
6. Discard all the bones and return the meat to the broth.
7. Add the yellow onion, potatoes, carrot and bell pepper to the broth.
8. Add little water so that everything is covered by the broth.
9. Bring the broth to medium heat and cook for 30 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
10. Adjust the salt if necessary.
11. Chop the fresh coriander, and the red onion.
12. Serve the soup in large bowls, enriching it to taste with the chopped coriander, red onion and lemon juice.

mariocerna
05-28-2020, 07:46 PM
I took the bear 2 weeks ago, and I attached the tag after I skinned it, hopefully I didn't break the law. The skin is pickling and still has the tag attached.

HuyFishin
05-28-2020, 07:52 PM
I took the bear 2 weeks ago, and I attached the tag after I skinned it, hopefully I didn't break the law. The skin is pickling and still has the tag attached.

U must have very thick skin, i'm surprised you're still here.:sHa_shakeshout:

mariocerna
05-28-2020, 08:06 PM
I wellcome all cyber bullies, they are the ones wasting time, I just read what is useful to me.

thorne
05-28-2020, 08:11 PM
Guess when your opinion doesn't match up with the rest of the world and you get it clearly pointed out, just go kill a bear and boil it....OR become president of a world power and TWEET yourself silly while soaking in tomato juice! Your choice!

Dak1138
05-29-2020, 06:05 PM
I’m just curious how many people here saying “the law is the law” and you need to follow it , are the same
People that were complaining in previous years that an unsigned copy of your fishing license on your phone is legal?

I don’t keep fish or buy tags , but unfortunate the fish and wildlife people have to assume everyone is poaching unless you have decent proof saying otherwise. 🤷🏼*♂️

WinefredCommander
05-29-2020, 10:43 PM
Could plea bargain and get less fines. Either way taking something on the chin.

SNAPFisher
05-30-2020, 07:41 AM
I wellcome all cyber bullies, they are the ones wasting time, I just read what is useful to me.

This entire thread was a waste of time when you clearly had your mind made up on what you wanted to do anyways.

58thecat
05-30-2020, 07:47 AM
Guess when your opinion doesn't match up with the rest of the world and you get it clearly pointed out, just go kill a bear and boil it....OR become president of a world power and TWEET yourself silly while soaking in tomato juice! Your choice!

now that's not fair...I got coffee running out my nose :)

Dean2
05-30-2020, 07:55 AM
You admit you are guilty. You admit to the exact infraction you were charged with but everyone who is agreeing with you that you are guilty are cyberbullies. Let me think on that a while.:thinking-006: Nah -

waldedw
05-30-2020, 07:55 AM
The law is very clearly stated in the regulations. You broke the law, got caught and received a fine..pay up.

This :snapoutofit:

liar
05-30-2020, 07:57 AM
cy·ber·bul·ly·ing
/ˌsībərˈbo͝olēiNG/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the use of electronic communication to bully a person, typically by sending messages of an intimidating or threatening nature.

Do you feel threatened ? If so , you have misunderstood some of these comments . I dont think anyone is trying to intimidate or threaten you . We are just posting our opinions , which you sort of asked for . Good luck in court .

fishtank
05-30-2020, 08:10 AM

You can try to fight it in court .... worst case paid the fine , best case a reduced payment.
As other and the reg have stated the fish must tagged befor leaving the water .

Sundancefisher
05-30-2020, 08:32 AM

Curious. Is it legally tagged if you used fishing line or braid? If so how can you not just cut the wire or line off at home and reuse the tags? I have never seen one.

Seem like a sticky strip would be better. Like the luggage tag they use for flying. Can’t reuse it once stuck sides together.

Dewey Cox
05-30-2020, 08:51 AM
Curious. Is it legally tagged if you used fishing line or braid? If so how can you not just cut the wire or line off at home and reuse the tags? I have never seen one.

Seem like a sticky strip would be better. Like the luggage tag they use for flying. Can’t reuse it once stuck sides together.

I'm just guessing, but I would assume they could still give you a ticket. But if the tag was tied on with fishing line, and the knot was under the tag, I would expect more leeway than if you just didn't use a tag at all.
If you set it up with the knot outside of the tag, you just built a reusable tag, and I would expect a ticket.

trigger7mm
05-30-2020, 09:17 AM
Haha i have had to do the leader material for tags wire thing lol.
Any hardware store sells haywire. This shouldnt be an issue. Go prepared and you are good to go. Sorry OP I know it stings. If everyone was honest we wouldn't need officers.

Agreed.

fisher Gord
05-30-2020, 10:38 AM
wrapping the tag around the knot in the rope,sticky side to sticky side will stay better than the wires. how many have had 1 leg of the wire come loose dragging a game animal out of the bush.

lyallpeder
05-30-2020, 11:31 AM

I think the sticky strip idea wouldn’t work because you would be threading through the wet gills or slit in the hide of big game and the glue would get contaminated. You said you’ve never seen one, they are a big sticker, you peel the back off and fold the two glue sides together. In that glue fold is the wire to hold it on the animal. If the fishing line knot is within the glue if would not be removable without cutting the line. Like someone said, yeah if the know was not in the sticker, it would not be valid.

Dewey Cox
05-30-2020, 12:34 PM
It's a ski hill lift pass

FCLightning
05-30-2020, 01:04 PM
It's a ski hill lift pass

I wish they would contract to the same folks that make the ski hill passes. those suckers do not come apart no matter what you try - try and get them off your jacket without a knife or scissors. The deer tags you have to work to try and get them to stay on when handling the deer in the field.

fordtruckin
05-30-2020, 07:17 PM
OP just remember even honest mistakes have consequences. Doesn’t mean your a bad person or major criminal, just means you had a lapse in judgement and goofed. I have to tell people that all the time when I write tickets. The second you try and hide something or make excuses for your goof speaks volumes about the type of person you are. Times are tough on everyone but like the saying goes, do the crime pay the time. Just because your having difficulties isn’t a get out of jail free card. I wish you the best at your appearance if that is what you choose to do.

bobtodrick
05-30-2020, 08:37 PM
This pretty much sums up how I feel about the OP’s attitude
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xWhr2xevNKY

SNAPFisher
05-31-2020, 07:07 AM

Hysterical! Truly the best retort on here :)

trigger7mm
05-31-2020, 10:06 AM
OP just remember even honest mistakes have consequences. Doesn’t mean your a bad person or major criminal, just means you had a lapse in judgement and goofed. I have to tell people that all the time when I write tickets. The second you try and hide something or make excuses for your goof speaks volumes about the type of person you are. Times are tough on everyone but like the saying goes, do the crime pay the time. Just because your having difficulties isn’t a get out of jail free card. I wish you the best at your appearance if that is what you choose to do.

This is the plain truth and well it should be. A little innovation goes a long ways. There are many substitutes to a piece of bent wire.

mariocerna
11-24-2020, 10:33 AM
This it what happened at the end:

Due to Covid-19 the court was closed, so I email them and explain to them all the details of the event, and my current financial situation. Gladly the fine got cancelled and I did not pay anything.

I would encourage all the outdoorsmen that get fined, that If you believe that there were some mitigating circumstances for the mistake to fight to the end in court, as citizens we have that right and it is good to exercise it.

Good Luck

HuyFishin
11-24-2020, 11:17 AM

Due to Covid-19 the court was closed, so I email them and explain to them all the details of the event, and my current financial situation. Gladly the fine got cancelled and I did not pay anything.

I would encourage all the outdoorsmen that get fined, that If you believe that there were some mitigating circumstances for the mistake to fight to the end in court, as citizens we have that right and it is good to exercise it.

Good Luck

I think you just got lucky that covid happened.

Apparently criminals in prison that are in for drug dealing are also let off easy due to covid and overcrowding during covid.

Dewey Cox
11-24-2020, 03:24 PM
You deserved a fine.
You got away without one because of covid, not because you were in the right.

Dean2
11-24-2020, 03:45 PM
You deserved a fine.

Spot on. One more guy that admits all the facts of his guilt and still gets off. At least it is better than some violent criminal getting off as there are way too many of them walking off Scott free.

Lefty-Canuck
11-24-2020, 03:57 PM
If you lack the critical thinking skills to improvise something to affix a tag properly... you deserve a fine, that is all close the thread :)

LC

HuyFishin
11-24-2020, 03:57 PM
You deserved a fine.

I was trying to say it less harsh

bobtodrick
11-24-2020, 04:01 PM

Good Luck

Well give yourself a big pat on the back...you undeservedly beat the system...this time :mad0030:

58thecat
11-24-2020, 07:42 PM
You deserved a fine.

Yup....consider that a lessen....

EZM
11-24-2020, 10:01 PM
Summarizes our justice system perfectly.

Hunter Trav
11-25-2020, 10:21 AM

Good Luck

Thanks Covid...back to poaching as per normal...:rolleye2:

FishHunterPro
11-25-2020, 12:04 PM
You sure are a sucker for punishment lol, you already got flamed once for this post . You got lucky and it sure does sound like you still think you were in the right. Flame on !

bdub
11-25-2020, 12:40 PM
Like was already stated, coulda used fishline or string to tag with. Made an effort. Quit whining.

Jamie Black R/T
11-25-2020, 12:50 PM
Justice system doesnt exist right now....courts are swamped just doing paperwork releasing criminals daily so they dont overcrowd cells.

Catch and release for criminals right now...total free for all.

mariocerna you dodged a bullet and sounds like you learned nothing...hopefully the next time the book gets thrown at you to make up for this one.

pipco
11-26-2020, 07:33 AM

Yep!

Hilarious!

:):

mightybuck
11-26-2020, 08:34 AM
I don't know your charges and what the circumstances are but yes COVID did help you out for sure.
On a side note I Know that lots of charges ( mostly property crime related) were withdrawn or stayed as a result of Covid by the crown prosecutors. For traffic offences where a monetary payment is payed the crown prosecutors have adjourned most trials into 2021 or even 2022 as there is back log in the court system. It is sad to see but that is the truth.

waldedw
11-26-2020, 08:46 AM
Never ceases to amaze me that everyone that get's a ticket doesn't think they deserved it, which of course is keeping with the new normal, nobody takes responsibility for their actions, it's always someone's else's fault :thinking-006:

bucksman
12-01-2020, 08:12 AM
none of this ever happened. troll post

Albertadiver
12-01-2020, 09:03 AM
If you lack the critical thinking skills to improvise something to affix a tag properly... you deserve a fine, that is all close the thread :)

LC

This

/end thread

Brandonkop
12-01-2020, 07:14 PM
Not sure why people keep coming to a sportfishing forum with poaching stories and expect sympathy. Sounds all illegal to me.

You are supposed to tag the fish immediately after catching them. So the first fish you should realize you have no way to tag the fish and throw it back. Sounds like you went on to catch several more without placing tags on them, which is illegal even if you have the tags.

You know there are other ways to attach a tag. Like a piece of fishing line. At least it would have shown effort on your part and the tag would have been used.

Should have played it smart and just gone back to the truck and got the wires before you kept the fish.

To me it sounds like a perfect poaching excuse and I am sure the Conservation officers hear it all the time, "Oh I was just about to put the tag on when you pulled up."

Savage Bacon
12-01-2020, 07:47 PM
I believe he would affix the tags as soon as he got home and found some wires. While the butter was melting:sHa_sarcasticlol:

The court should have postponed the court date. All these cases getting thrown out is a joke.

OL_JR
12-01-2020, 07:50 PM
Not sure why people keep coming to a sportfishing forum with poaching stories and expect sympathy. Sounds all illegal to me.

You are supposed to tag the fish immediately after catching them. So the first fish you should realize you have no way to tag the fish and throw it back. Sounds like you went on to catch several more without placing tags on them, which is illegal even if you have the tags.

You know there are other ways to attach a tag. Like a piece of fishing line. At least it would have shown effort on your part and the tag would have been used.

Should have played it smart and just gone back to the truck and got the wires before you kept the fish.

To me it sounds like a perfect poaching excuse and I am sure the Conservation officers hear it all the time, "Oh I was just about to put the tag on when you pulled up."

I still think given the situation the thing to do is throw the fish back and go get the proper wires. It just leaves no question for officers. Some may applaud you for thinking outside the box if you choose to use fishing line or something else however you might get a bad one that will put you through unnecessary b.s. if they choose through their discretion. I don't see the urgency, it's not like we are talking about tagging the last walleye in Lac St. Anne.

Heck I ran into an officer a couple years ago at Buck Lake that wondered why our walleye weren't tagged. Luckily they were with another officer that corrected them but I wouldn't want to deal with that officer by their lonesome if I was tagging fish with fishing line.

Brandonkop
12-01-2020, 09:40 PM
I still think given the situation the thing to do is throw the fish back and go get the proper wires. It just leaves no question for officers. Some may applaud you for thinking outside the box if you choose to use fishing line or something else however you might get a bad one that will put you through unnecessary b.s. if they choose through their discretion. I don't see the urgency, it's not like we are talking about tagging the last walleye in Lac St. Anne.

Heck I ran into an officer a couple years ago at Buck Lake that wondered why our walleye weren't tagged. Luckily they were with another officer that corrected them but I wouldn't want to deal with that officer by their lonesome if I was tagging fish with fishing line.

Yeah, thats why I first said release the fish and go get the wires from the truck. But if you already bonked the first one then improvise and go get the wires. You're right it is always up to their discretion. Should just follow the law and no issues.