I fish the bow river and i was thinking about buying a rapala clackin rap

because someone recommended it but what would be a good colour for

rainbow and brown trout because this lure doesnt have rainbow or brown

pattern and would trout take the lure in this time of the season? because

someone said that chances are slim to catch trout with crankbaits in summer

Any advice MUCH appreciated=)

WayneChristie
08-01-2009, 09:00 PM
try a regular rap in rainbow or brown trout pattern, they take those anytime. or try a foxie minnowspin in the same pattern if you can find any

Wulfespirit
08-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't think clackin raps have much options for size atm. The only size I've seen might be a bit big for the bow.

Rapala
08-01-2009, 10:31 PM
thanks for the replies

i have browntrout countdown but i dont know how to use them but just cast

upstream and reel in slow but i have never caught a bow river trout with this

crank bait

Beazer
08-01-2009, 10:56 PM
I highly doubt a clackin rap would work unless you had consistent fish size exceeding 4lbs, maybe more even with rainbows.
It's a big lure meant to catch big fish...better suited to Pike and Walleye.

The best way to fish a countdown is to let it sink to the desired depth. ie count 1 second for every foot it sinks.
Now in the bow that might not be the best due to the current but the actions on the countdowns are probably why they are liked by the fish.

Try x-raps, countdowns, team esko's. I'm going to try husky jerks that are small during the fall when they're fattening up.

I'm an avid crankbait fisherman(particularly Rapala)
If your interested in hittin up a spot let me know as I don't have a lot of experience with the bow either.

fishunter77
08-01-2009, 11:31 PM
The Clackin Rap is great for Walleye. I think it is too large for trout. I have tried it at some potholes and have not had any success :(.

Try using a smaller rapala in the rainbow trout pattern, and I think you will catch some nice ones.

I have tried it at some of the lakes and have caught some nice trout:).

The secret is to immitate a wounded minnow. Twitch it to look like a fish that is injured.

Good luck!!!