PDA

View Full Version : Heart Lake Trip

BigFish43
08-01-2009, 09:36 PM
I just came back from Heart Lake near Lac La Biche and the walleye were biting hard. The pike were ok but nothing like last year. The largest pike we caught was 10 lbs but over the 3 days we were there we had some good eats. This was our second year there and like I said earlier the pike were much better last year. The water temp was to warm at around 21C.

Does anyone know how good Grist Lake is this year?

db

Wulfespirit
08-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Any trouble with the 'locals'? I used to fish heart years ago but stopped going due to be asked for money to access the lake (and in one case per fish) on two seperate occasions.

BigFish43
08-02-2009, 08:38 AM
We did get asked for $15.00/boat per night, but only had to pay for 2 of the three nights. The general conditions were not very good but we knew that going in,and we don't mind paying a little if the money goes to the facility. However, we met one of the newly unelected members of town council and she explained to us how things work. As we suspected, Bud the night watchman/money collector pockets all the cash for his personal use, nothing goes back to the band or the camp site. If you do decide to go back, take a dog, we had some "visitors" in the night dressed in black and shiny blue lights looking in vehicles and boats...fortunately the dog alerted us and we stopped them before anything was done. Also, while we were out on the lake the second day someone went through 3 of our six tents, but nothing was taken.

Now that I have thought about this a little, I wont be going back there. To bad too, the lake is very productive but the problems seem to be outweighing the positives.

Hopefully the road into Grist will be repaired next year.

Walleyes
08-02-2009, 09:37 AM
If you fellows want I know of a decent trail in from the back of the lake far from the Rez. The locals don't use it at all they may come in from boat but I doubt it its to much like work for them. There are just a couple draw backs, 1 being if it rains hard it may be difficult to get out and 2 there is no boat launch so you would be limited to car toppers or smaller trailer's. Up side the beach is absolutely gorgeous and totally private and as far away from the Rez as you can get..

If you are interested let me know I will do my best to give you some directions in..

Drakle
08-02-2009, 02:48 PM
If you fellows want I know of a decent trail in from the back of the lake far from the Rez. The locals don't use it at all they may come in from boat but I doubt it its to much like work for them. There are just a couple draw backs, 1 being if it rains hard it may be difficult to get out and 2 there is no boat launch so you would be limited to car toppers or smaller trailer's. Up side the beach is absolutely gorgeous and totally private and as far away from the Rez as you can get..

If you are interested let me know I will do my best to give you some directions in..

I would love to know a back way in. We stopped going as well after my dads truck got broke into and stereo stolen, dash ripped apart, gas line cut and gas stolen out of tank. It really is too bad. The excuse was that the truck was parked 90 degrees the wrong way in the lot. Pretty Lame.

Anyway, if you wouldn't mind emailing me, try tbmeyer48@gmail.com

Walleyes
08-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Email sent..

Hoggie
12-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Can you get into Heart the back way to ice fish? How is it for ice fishing?

Thanks,

Randy

greylynx
12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
At 21 C I would say there ice fishing was pretty poor.

Seriously, Was the water around 2.1 C all the way from top to bottom or 2.1 on the bottom getting colder as you get to the surface?

beerhunter
12-28-2011, 09:22 PM
At 21 C I would say there ice fishing was pretty poor.

Seriously, Was the water around 2.1 C all the way from top to bottom or 2.1 on the bottom getting colder as you get to the surface?

Look up the op was back in august 2009

Steve8816
12-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Any perch?

greylynx
12-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Sorry about that Chief:

Heart Lake Walleye get me going.

You guys have no idea how big those walleye are in there.

Honestly.