PDA

View Full Version : Bird flew into my fishing line. Clothes lined himself and hit the water.

HuyFishin
05-29-2020, 12:26 PM
https://youtu.be/H9y0Ip_NcYw

Very short video only 29 seconds long, I wasnt paying attention and I thought I had a fish until I saw him hit the water. Luckily He got untangled right away. I thought I was gonna have to try to reel him in quick and try to untangle him.

Decided to make a Funny video with it using a popular meme. "It was at this moment he knew, He effed up"

Whats the worst thing you've had tangle up in your line?

trigger7mm
05-29-2020, 12:36 PM
Many years ago, I had a gull fly into and tangle up in my line at Lac St. Anne. Had to untangle him to set him free.

Smoky buck
05-29-2020, 01:23 PM
Buddy had the same thing with a Canadian goose. Unfortunately it flew off with his lure breaking his line

58thecat
05-29-2020, 02:36 PM
excuse me sir...you got a license for that type of angling? Yup just what I thought...come with me.

:scared:

Outbound
05-29-2020, 03:10 PM
Not so much tangle up the line but I've had loons grab the trout I've been playing. I've also had ospreys circle the boat and make swoops at the struggling fish though none committed to the full splash. When I was a kid, my friend's dad had a bat grab his fly out of mid air while he was casting to rising fish at last light.

Jigsalot
05-29-2020, 03:23 PM
I still remember back in the late 70’s my Dad and I were fishing at Round lake in BC. It was at one time a great trout lake between Vernon and Falkland. Anyway we had the same thing happen with a loon. While my Dad was reeling in a good rainbow this loon would not let go until about 5 feet from the boat. Great memories 😁

Bushleague
05-29-2020, 04:40 PM
Had bats do this at night quite often while soaking bait from shore. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on, the rod would bend over crazy hard and then snap back up... bait still on, no fish.

Anyhow, it sort of surprised me that a bat would do this, they are generally a lot better about flying into things than birds in my experience. And I figured out that if this happens, you may as well move you're line. If you watch a bat, once he gets an idea of his surroundings with his sonar, he will fly much the same circuit while he feeds... so unless you knock him into the water there's a good chance he will hit your line a couple more times.

Penner
05-29-2020, 04:56 PM
Kinds reminds me when Randy J thru that pitch likely around 100mph and hit that bird mid flight. Can’t imagine what the odds would be for something like that occurring.

Good thing you had the rod in your hands. May have ended up in the drink otherwise.

Junglefisher
05-29-2020, 07:17 PM
Tangled an osprey once. It got itself untangled just as I was about to try and grab it.
Hooked a fruit bat (flying fox) in the wing membrane and had to get the lure out without being scratched.

WayneChristie
05-29-2020, 07:28 PM
pelican, a few beaver, some cliff swallows muskrats, this thing https://youtu.be/y2bZk6Iad-c

WayneChristie
05-29-2020, 07:30 PM
Tangled an osprey once. It got itself untangled just as I was about to try and grab it.
Hooked a fruit bat (flying fox) in the wing membrane and had to get the lure out without being scratched.

I was fly fishing for bass in BC at dark and caught 2 bats on my fly, sure feels weird seeing your line go up instead of down

New2Elk
05-29-2020, 08:28 PM
A couple years ago my daughter had a duck grab her hook on Carson lake. She was panicking a bit and I was trying to figure out how best to get the duck lose. We kept feeding it slack in hopes it would get itself lose. I was just about to try reeling it in to unhook since I didn’t think it was going to do it but it finally spit the hook out. I’m thinking it’s not an easy feat to reel a fighting duck in. Not sure if the line would have held anyway but didn’t want to leave it with a hook in its mouth trailing a bunch of line as I can’t see that being good for it.

walking buffalo
05-30-2020, 10:26 AM
I was fly fishing for bass in BC at dark and caught 2 bats on my fly, sure feels weird seeing your line go up instead of down

There is excellent bat fishing to be had in BC. :lol:

I caught my first bat on a fly by accident.
The next evening a half dozen of us kids were "fishing" for bats at the old log landing 100 yards from the water.
Racked up some pretty good numbers and had soup for dinner....

My accidental wild catch list includes bats, swallows, terns, a pelican, loon, merganser, beaver, mouse, tiger salamander, snapping turtle, a recently released bikini top, a clam, a whale and a calf moose.