PDA

View Full Version : Duty fees on Riflescope from the US?

ChrisRenaud
08-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Hello all,

Seeing that our dollar is fairly strong right now ive been thinking of ordering a scope (Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x50mm) from Cabelas down in the US.. My question is.. Does anyone know how much the duty would be?? If any at all?? It seems like i could save a good chunk of change so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Chris Renaud

Predator
08-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Cabelas won't ship you a scope.

Rackmastr
08-02-2009, 01:38 PM
No duty on US made goods (NAFTA) however as Predator posted, Cabelas wont ship you one unless things have changed...

Pathfinder76
08-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Aside from the scope issue Cabelas will charge you duty up front regardless of where the product was made. At least that is what they have done with me.

ChrisRenaud
08-02-2009, 01:43 PM
thanks for the quick replies! What is the deal with them not shipping scopes up to canada???

LongBomber
08-02-2009, 03:00 PM
US law prevents the export of scopes without an export permit from the state the product is purchased in and an import permit from Canada. Cabelas will not ship even with a export permit.

ChrisRenaud
08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Geez you learn something new everyday.. well thanks again for everyones replies, it is much appreciated... I guess ill just have to suck it up and buy one up here.. Time to do some shopping..

Cheers!

Chris Renaud

kodiakken
08-02-2009, 07:21 PM
If someone sells you a scope from the states and ships it out of the USA and the BTAF finds out it is a federal crime against the shipper.
It is to darn bad but We can't change their laws.
Ken.

AB2506
08-02-2009, 11:21 PM
May I suggest a road trip?

There are Cabelas at Billings MT, Post Falls and Boise ID.

Of course, once you've been to a Cabelas, Bass Pro will look second rate. Or at least it does to me.

You can buy scopes in the states and you can bring them back with you.

elkhunter11
08-03-2009, 06:03 AM

But to do it legally,you still need an export permit from the U.S.A.

Dick284
08-03-2009, 07:34 AM

Yup right up till the US border patrol stops you in an export check.:confused:

This is about as bad of advice as can be offered on the internet.:mad2:

noelb
08-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Will anyone ship reciever sights to Canada? I'm looking for something for my Marlin 1895G.

CNP
08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Try browsing Brownells. I don't know the cost of the sight you are considering but if it is under $100.........Brownells will ship it if they have it.

Pathfinder76
08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Try browsing Brownells. I don't know the cost of the sight you are considering but if it is under $100.........Brownells will ship it if they have it.

Not necessarily. If the company producing the product is not properly registered with their state dept. you're SOL. No matter the price.

ChrisRenaud
08-03-2009, 03:36 PM
May I suggest a road trip?

There are Cabelas at Billings MT, Post Falls and Boise ID.

Of course, once you've been to a Cabelas, Bass Pro will look second rate. Or at least it does to me.

If i were allowed to bring the scope back than i would love to make the roadtrip but iam in Fort Mac right now so it wouldnt be worth it even if it was legal..

unclebuck
08-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Check out Cabela's Canada. Their prices on some items are cheaper in Canada than they are from the US.

huntinstuff
08-03-2009, 05:36 PM
You could call Korth Group in Okotoks......

They are the western Canadian warranty depot for Leupold.
And they sell Leupold too.......

marlin1
08-03-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm heading to Montana at the end of the week . Can I bring a bipod back with me ?

ChrisRenaud
08-03-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm heading to Montana at the end of the week . Can I bring a bipod back with me ?

I dont see why not, if you can bring a bow back than iam pretty darn sure you can bring a bipod back..

ChrisRenaud
08-03-2009, 06:13 PM
You could call Korth Group in Okotoks......

They are the western Canadian warranty depot for Leupold.
And they sell Leupold too.......

Thanks Huntinstuff.. you wouldnt happen to have a # would you??

oldgutpile
08-03-2009, 07:33 PM
When did the rules change as far as scopes being shipped into Canada? I have bought many scopes out of the US through Ebay and never had an issue. Like a previous poster mentioned, if the scope is manufactured outside of the USA, there is duty to contend with, but I have never had anyone say they could not ship me a scope! Probably had six shipped in within the last twelve months alone.

ChrisRenaud
08-03-2009, 08:00 PM
When did the rules change as far as scopes being shipped into Canada? I have bought many scopes out of the US through Ebay and never had an issue. Like a previous poster mentioned, if the scope is manufactured outside of the USA, there is duty to contend with, but I have never had anyone say they could not ship me a scope! Probably had six shipped in within the last twelve months alone.

Really??? and there was never an issue with duty or customs????

elkhunter11
08-03-2009, 08:10 PM

Many firearms parts and reloading components have been shipped from the U.S. into Canada,however many of them were shipped illegally.

Pathfinder76
08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
If nothing else I'd at least not shout it from the rooftops.

huntinstuff
08-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Many firearms parts and reloading components have been shipped from the U.S. into Canada,however many of them were shipped illegally.

Exactly.....

It's the old "you can but you shouldn't".....

Frankly, its not worth it.

Dick284
08-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Really??? and there was never an issue with duty or customs????

Chris the issue is not with the Canadian side of the border.

The issue lies with American export laws and rules.

Ebay deals are at present not currently getting a whole bunch of enforcement from the US authorities.

Businesses have been nailed with some big fines in the last 4 or 5 years, and now it seems export checks at border crossings are being ramped up.

It is very logical to conclude deals on Ebay could be put under the spot lamp next.

Or not, my crystal ball rolled off my desk and broke last week.

How's your's working today?

Tcon
08-04-2009, 09:02 AM
As far as I know, the US does not do "export checks" on you personally. When you fly in from the states you don't get checked when you hand in your luggage, you get checked by the customs agents on the other side. Additionally, I believe the law only applies to businesses. I am not sure if the same is true for for driving across, but I imagine it is. Crazier things have been known to happen haha

Rene

sheephunter
08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
As far as I know, the US does not do "export checks" on you personally. When you fly in from the states you don't get checked when you hand in your luggage, you get checked by the customs agents on the other side.
I am not sure if this is true for driving, but I imagine it is. Crazier things have been known to happen haha

Rene

Your baggage is x-rayed leaving every city in the U.S. If TSA sees something they don't like the looks of, they can call in FBI, ATF, Customs or all three. I had a buddy that threw some ammo in a suitcase figuring there were no "export checks". He got hauled off the plane by some boys flashing Customs badges. There are far more checks than you think. A rifle scope shows up pretty clealy on x-rax.

When driving, export checks are not common but I wouldn't say they are uncommon either. Find an over zealous Canadian Customs Agent and he can send you back to U.S. Customs as well. Yes, it has and does happen.

And yes, the laws apply to invividuals as well!

Tcon
08-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Your baggage is x-rayed leaving every city in the U.S. If TSA sees something they don't like the looks of, they can call in FBI, ATF, Customs or all three. I had a buddy that threw some ammo in a suitcase figuring there were no "export checks". He got hauled off the plane by some boys flashing Customs badges. There are far more checks than you think. A rifle scope shows up pretty clealy on x-rax.

When driving, export checks are not common but I wouldn't say they are uncommon either. Find an over zealous Canadian Customs Agent and he can send you back to U.S. Customs as well. Yes, it has and does happen.

And yes, the laws apply to invividuals as well!

Was he allowed to bring it in after they checked his bag? Also, what about americans who hunt here. They are allowed to bring that stuff in. With the extra "security" around since 9/11 I'm not surprised ammo was an alarm.

sheephunter
08-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Was he allowed to bring it in after they checked his bag? Also, what about americans who hunt here. They are allowed to bring that stuff in. With the extra "security" around since 9/11 I'm not surprised ammo was an alarm.

Nope, it was seized and he was detained.

Obviously there are rules for Americans traveling to other countries with firearms just as there are rules for travelling Canadians. Yes, ammo was an alarm just as rifle scopes, guns and gun parts are too. Try it if you want but just know that when you knowingly break the law that you should be willing to live with the consequences.

Tcon
08-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I would not try it, but I do think it warrants more research.
Too many conflicting arguments. I will call US Customs directly.
Oh man is that going to be brutal.

Rene

sheephunter
08-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I would not try it, but I do think it warrants more research.
Too many conflicting arguments. I will call US Customs directly.
Oh man is that going to be brutal.

Rene

Yup, that's the best way to get an answer about things involving the law!

Rackmastr
08-05-2009, 12:10 AM
As far as I know, the US does not do "export checks" on you personally. When you fly in from the states you don't get checked when you hand in your luggage, you get checked by the customs agents on the other side. Additionally, I believe the law only applies to businesses. I am not sure if the same is true for for driving across, but I imagine it is. Crazier things have been known to happen haha

Rene

The US does export checks on quite a few days at certain crossings in Alberta. They check commercial and personal vehicles and do it on a regular basis. By a regular basis, I would say more than once per week....sometimes daily....

Iskra
08-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by oldgutpile

x2

marlin1
08-05-2009, 06:37 AM
guess I'll be calling them . Don't want to be detained for a bipod . what a bunch of crap. Makes a trip to Montana a lot less appealing

LongBomber
08-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Rene

At all three border crossings near me the US side has a little booth built, and they stop you to check you leaving the country. I have been checked everytime I have been down for the last 3-4 months. I brought back a knife and some arrows and they searched my truck looking for firearms, reloading components and such.

Did you know it is illegal to possess ammunition when you are in the states? If you get pulled over for a speeding ticket you can be charged for just having ammunition in your vehicle.

LongBomber
08-05-2009, 04:40 PM
guess I'll be calling them . Don't want to be detained for a bipod . what a bunch of crap. Makes a trip to Montana a lot less appealing

I am pretty sure a bipod is no problem as it is not required to make the rifle useable, most of the laws are for items required to make a gun work, ie trigger parts, stock, reciever, sights, ammunition..etc... My hunting partner brought one back last month, I brought back a storm rifle case and 2 slings with no problem. We claimed the items at both the US and canadian sides.

marlin1
08-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I know of a guy being detained for a sling , so now I'm not sure about bringing anything back

Matt L.
08-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Because as we all know, if your buying a scope you must be a jihadist sniper.:rolleye2: All this export bilge is getting so goddamned ridiculous it makes me want to puke.

sheephunter
08-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by oldgutpile

x2

Lots of guys doing it but as has been pointed out, the U.S. side is cracking down. Rule has been in effect for many years.

marlin1
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I am pretty sure a bipod is no problem as it is not required to make the rifle useable, most of the laws are for items required to make a gun work, ie trigger parts, stock, reciever, sights, ammunition..etc... My hunting partner brought one back last month, I brought back a storm rifle case and 2 slings with no problem. We claimed the items at both the US and canadian sides.

thanks for the info . My buddy said to call him from Guantamano, funny guy:lol: I think it should be ok .

WSM
08-09-2009, 01:12 PM
What about if the scope that you are buying comes with a broker fee. They send it US post and when you go to pick it up you pay the GST at the post office before they will give it to you. This is what I have experenced when buying off of E-BAY. I have bought scopes , a knife and thinking about buying a set of bino's.

ABDUKNUT
08-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I've bought maybe a half dozen scopes out of the States in the past couple years and haven't paid so much as a plug nickle in duty or tax.

The US rules about export of certain goods are tedious and confusing at best, but it is my understanding that only military-style sniper scopes and gadgets are affected. Basically the holographic stuff, laser stuff and those big 80 power sniper scopes with ballistic reticles are the only ones you need permits for. If you are just importing a regular hunting scope for shooting deer, no need to worry.

But, due to legal and economic implications, the big stores in the US still refuse to export anything worth more than $100.

cabinman
08-25-2010, 02:00 PM
After reading the responses in this post I took it upon myself to contact Canada Customs and ask the question as I am going down to Arizona and am planning on bringing back a scope in my travels.

The response was "there is no problem bringing back a Rifle Scope purchased in the US and getting through Canada customs." As long as the scope is designed to be used with guns that are not illegal in Canada. Any of you making up these false tales call Canada Customs yourself if you don't beleive it. Either way I have the officer badge number I talked with and I am planning on bringing one back.

Cowtown guy
08-25-2010, 02:09 PM
And what will you do if the US folks stop you on their side? Nobody ever said there was an issue with our side. False tales huh? It is illegal for you to take a scope out of the states. Not illegal to bring it into Canada. Maybe you'll get caught...maybe you won't.

By the way this thread is over a year old. Don't know why I am bothering. Anybody see the stick and dead horse emoticon?

sheephunter
08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
After reading the responses in this post I took it upon myself to contact Canada Customs and ask the question as I am going down to Arizona and am planning on bringing back a scope in my travels.

The response was "there is no problem bringing back a Rifle Scope purchased in the US and getting through Canada customs." As long as the scope is designed to be used with guns that are not illegal in Canada. Any of you making up these false tales call Canada Customs yourself if you don't beleive it. Either way I have the officer badge number I talked with and I am planning on bringing one back.

Call U.S. customs and ask the same question. I'm guessing the answer will be different. Always a good idea to check with both the country you are exporting from and the one you are importing to. While on foreign soil, you are subject to their laws. No false tales...just some good advice.

spurly
08-25-2010, 02:37 PM
As was stated it is not Canada Customs you need to worry about, if you get that far no problem. It is illegal for a non resident alien to be in posession of any Firearms or Firearms related equipment while in the United States,This is governed by Homeland Securety.If you get stopped and are in possesion, you will be in for a little probing, and when you here the snap of the rubber glove you will know where they would like to probe.You may never be stopped, but you might be.If you can get somebody to mail it to you, that is totally different situation and most likely no problem.

benamen
08-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Firearms Manufacturer Penalized for Unlicensed Exports of Rifle Scopes
Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Enforcement Michael J. Garcia today announced that Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc., of Southport, Conn., has agreed to pay a civil penalty of $11,000 to settle an allegation that it exported rifle scopes to Oman without the required license. A license is required to export the rifle scopes to most destinations in order to ensure that the scopes will not be used to violate human rights.

The Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) had alleged that Sturm, Ruger had sent a shipment of 12 rifle scopes from the United States to Oman without obtaining the required export license from BIS. The $11,000 penalty is the maximum authorized for that charge.

BIS administers and enforces export and reexport controls for reasons of national security, foreign policy, nonproliferation, antiterrorism, and short supply. Criminal penalties and administrative sanctions can be imposed for violations of the Export Administration Regulations.

Assistant Secretary Garcia commended Special Agent William Higgins of the Office of Export Enforcement's Boston field office for his investigation of this case.

Link to opticsplanet exporting policy

http://www.opticsplanet.net/export.html

Got Juice?
08-25-2010, 04:12 PM
thanks for the quick replies! What is the deal with them not shipping scopes up to canada???

BATF and US Department of state under subsections dealing with 'Articles of War'

Optics PERIOD! The only exception being binoculars, and definately not binoculars with ranging capabilities

Big Thumper
08-25-2010, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=sheephunter;361284] Find an over zealous Canadian Customs Agent and he can send you back to U.S. Customs as well. QUOTE]

Actually, as a Canadian, they can't send you back. Its your right to be in Canada. However, SH 's point is clear and correct. The Canadian guys can keep your goods from passing, so, you have two choices, go back or have them seize the goods. They could even detain you.

The US guys have been doing more and more export checks from what I observed. One small crossing I pass about a dozen times a summer has checked me about out of three crossings the last two years.

Also, I had a few scope rings mailed to me from the US. No problem, paperwork was there(limited as its a NLR item). However, when it arrived there was US Customs tape on the box. It had been opened, not by Canada but by US customs. If it hasd been a scope without papers I would have lost it.

lowlife72
08-27-2010, 10:52 PM
So what does/doesn't the US export law allow us to purchase and bring back to Canada?

Scopes?
Ammunition?
Reloading components?
Stocks?
Bi-pods?
Slings?
Everything firearm related?
Only "tactical" items?

Any idea where to actually find out?

:(

wolfhunter
08-28-2010, 01:05 AM
It does kind of suck that we have reached this point,that we can't buy anything firearm related,there's a shortage of ammo and long waiting periods for firearms to come in to the country.The next time the United States goes to war and asks us for our support maybe we should help and not condemn them for there actions.In a way if you think about they are making it harder for us,maybe we shouldn't harbour terrorists in this country and just maybe the US might lift some of its restrictions.

elkhunter11
08-28-2010, 07:30 AM
The next time the United States goes to war and asks us for our support maybe we should help and not condemn them for there actions.In a way if you think about they are making it harder for us,maybe we shouldn't harbour terrorists in this country and just maybe the US might lift some of its restrictions.

The stupid laws that are in effect were brought in by the Clinton administration which was anti gun.The Obama administration is also anti gun,so the laws aren't likely to change regardless of what we do.

mjohn7
08-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Canadian customers should return riflescopes to the product service facility in Canada. If shipping to the U.S. factory instead, please contact:

EXPORT CONTROLS DIVISION
DEPT. OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND INTERNATIONAL TRADE (FAIT)
ATTN: IIC OFFICER
TOWER C, 6TH FLOOR
125 SUSSEX DRIVE
OTTAWA, ON K1A 0G2
CANADA
Telephone: (613) 996-2387
Fax: (613) 996-9933

From the Leupold site- even warranty returns need export certificates.

Just but in Canada , less problems.

AndersonSkiTeam
08-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Not to side track this thread but we should be more upset that we get screwed by paying 20-50% more for the same product up here than in the states. When it is worthwhile to order or drive and get the item than buy it at the local store that is a problem.

I found scopes at 60% the cost of up here.

Roughneck12
08-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Not necessarily. If the company producing the product is not properly registered with their state dept. you're SOL. No matter the price.

Not true. I have gotten bits and pieces from Brownells, two in the past week that I could not get from the manufactures website, because the manufacture refused to send to Canada.

lowlife72
08-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Not to side track this thread but we should be more upset that we get screwed by paying 20-50% more for the same product up here than in the states. When it is worthwhile to order or drive and get the item than buy it at the local store that is a problem.

I found scopes at 60% the cost of up here.

True. With exchange rates as low as they have been for this long you sort of have to wonder why our prices are so much higher. Not everything is cheaper in the US, but a lot of it is. Rifles and scopes are cheaper. Some ammunition is cheaper (and more kinds are available). A good example is an RCBS Master Reloading kit. These are $459.95 at WSS in Canada and $289.95 at Scheels in Montana.

sheephunter
08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
True. With exchange rates as low as they have been for this long you sort of have to wonder why our prices are so much higher. .

Higher wages, higher taxes, universal health care...it all comes with a premium.

love those guns
08-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Higher wages, higher taxes, universal health care...it all comes with a premium.

Plus no competition--here in Winnipeg I went to two different Canadian Tire Stores and Walmarts looking for a bottle of Hoppes gun cleaner. They did not have it. Basically they have nothing for the shooting sports unless you want to select from their poor selection of shells that are usually not what one wants or maybe buy a 2 bit Tasco scope that is over priced. So it leaves no choice but to drive clear across the city to Cabelas or Wholesale Sports for a bottle of cleaning solvent, or whatever else a person might be after. Here in Wpg. Cabelas and Wholesale Sports are about 2 minutes apart and as far as pricing, they are usually matched almost dollar for dollar so how is one going to get any deals like we see in the US.

benamen
08-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Not true. I have gotten bits and pieces from Brownells, two in the past week that I could not get from the manufactures website, because the manufacture refused to send to Canada.

Some manufacturers can only ship to an authorized distributor in Canada. Sierra wanted to send me some sample bullets (this was a couple years ago before exporting bullets was enforced at the border) and even though I had gotten a proper import permit, Sierra could not legally ship those bullets to me. Ended up sending the bullets to a friend down in the states and transporting the bullets back with me when I went for a visit. I won't be trying that now.

Got Juice?
08-31-2010, 04:12 PM
So what does/doesn't the US export law allow us to purchase and bring back to Canada?

Scopes? NO
Ammunition? NO
Reloading components? NO
Stocks? Yes
Bi-pods? Yes
Slings? Yes
Everything firearm related? too broad, redefine please
Only "tactical" items? again, too broad.
Any idea where to actually find out?

:(

google department of state US. Then go to BATF, and be prepared to read for 2 hours. I've done my research in this trust me. Look at your list, I will put the answers in RED for you.

Got Juice?
08-31-2010, 04:25 PM
http://www.state.gov/

http://www.dhs.gov/index.shtm

Just remember. Binoculars are about the only optic you can bring across legally. If it has rangefinding capabilities, IR/ Lidar/Des/paint, FLIR capable etc, and you get caught by US Department of Homeland security, you might get away with a 5,000.00 first offence fine. If they are being 'nice'
You could also lose your vehicle permanently, and find yourself in jail.

ALL RELOADING components are off limits. Hulls, shot, primers, powder, bullets, brass, wads.

Reloading equipment is OK. Presses etc.

All 'gun stuff' Magazines, barrels receivers, guns, are also under their 'articles of war provisions. Same drill, fine, or loss of vehicle, or jail, or all 3 combined.

Now for the uninitiated, the CANADIAN BORDER SERVICES allows us 5000 rounds of ammunition, damn near unlimited powder and primers and bullets to come across. In short, our border does not care what you bring back , and that goes for optics too (in reasonable quantities)

That said, if DHS is manning the icecream station (more often than you thing) they stop you a good 1/8 mile before the canadian border... you have no chance to turn around and 'get away either'... too obvious.

So. Do your own reading, I have tried to be concise

westren
09-01-2010, 03:08 PM
spotting scope ,but not a rifle scope its considered part ot a rifle...

Got Juice?
09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
spotting scope ,but not a rifle scope its considered part ot a rifle...

Spotting scopes are fine. Again as long as they are not an optic with enhanced capabilities.

Bushrat
09-01-2010, 08:05 PM

US manufacturers and retail businesses have to purchase a 'commercial' export licence/permit for certain firearm related items (the stuff on the list requiring an export permit) to export goods out of the US. These cost thousands of dollars. Companies like Brownells who do a lot of trade with Canadians sell enough volume outside the US that it's worthwile for them to purchase this licence/permit to export, other smaller sellers who don't or are not likely to sell/export a lot of goods outside the US can't justify spending the dollars on a permit for the few export sales they might get outside the country, hence the reason some will sell and send stuff and some won't

ivanthehunter
08-11-2012, 06:04 PM
How is it that i can buy scopes off of ebay to beat the band and have'em shipped to the UK or Europe etc etc.
Im talking scopes with ballistic reticules mildots, tac turrets etc etc
They might not be the best of scopes for bench rest etc etc but for a man sized target at 300 yards they would work?

Anythought??

PS I can buy gen1 ATN Scopes out of the USA via ebay??
Gen2 is not availible but here in Europe you can buy what you want gen1 to gen7(supergen) etc etc

These usa companies are not befitting from the internet because of these ridiculous rules IMO.. Russian/Chinese scopes and gun and explosives are killing US troops that and the old munitions that the US and UK gave to their Muppet dictator leaders.. horse s$$t..
Cant even get someone to ship me a mag for a 22lr

milburnjl
09-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Cabellas U.S. wouldn't even send me a freakin' pair of binoculars. What do they think, that we have nothing better to do than sit on the border and watch them pick their noses down there.