PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Buck Hand Crafted Custom Lures

58thecat
06-04-2020, 08:22 AM
So over the winter engaged in many PM's with Smokey buck....in case you didn't follow his thread/posts he hand crafts lures and reached out to us for suggestions. He makes some real beauties so he asked if I was interested to give some of his designs a go mostly targeting lakers and sharp tooth gators...hell ya I would:sHa_shakeshout:

Well these beauties arrived yesterday and I am simply impressed by the quality and design so that being said I will give them a full go of abuse and use once the weather clears up....will follow up here on reports and pics too....here's hoping I don't disappoint as I know these lures will perform.

7magtime
06-04-2020, 08:39 AM
Good luck with the lures and nice job making them Smoky Buck, they look nice! Always good to support forum members, thanks for posting and look forward to some pics!

Stinky Buffalo
06-04-2020, 09:12 AM
Wow, those look great! Nice workmanship.

WayneChristie
06-04-2020, 09:37 AM
nah fish will turn and run when they see those :bad_boys_20: very nice work!

Smoky buck
06-04-2020, 04:32 PM
Hopefully they treat you well

I am very curious how the new top water will work out being a new design. Action looks great to me but the fish are the final judge.

barbless
06-04-2020, 04:59 PM
I WANT I WANT I WANT...... GIMME GIMME GIMME
They look pretty awesome. Good job. Hope the toothy ones don't destroy and scratch the paint but that would add character and more indication of an injured bait.

Jigsalot
06-04-2020, 05:03 PM

I am very curious how the new top water will work out being a new design. Action looks great to me but the fish are the final judge.

Nice job there. They look like quality lures and I would definitely buy some if they were selling 👍

Smoky buck
06-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Yes I do sell them if you have questions you can PM me

As for toothy critter damage or hook rash it happens in time but they are built to take abuse beyond mass produced lures

Don’t want to break the sponsor rule stuff so don’t want to go into too much detail

HuyFishin
06-04-2020, 05:21 PM
WOW those look amazing! Very impressive!

Bushleague
06-04-2020, 07:15 PM
I WANT I WANT I WANT...... GIMME GIMME GIMME
They look pretty awesome. Good job. Hope the toothy ones don't destroy and scratch the paint but that would add character and more indication of an injured bait.

I once had a big Lucky Strike plug that got so mangled by pike that the action got tweaked... it would wobble along but every so often would break its wobble and shoot off in a glide to one side or the other. If you put that thing within striking distance of a big pike the poor bugger didnt even have a choice... it pretty much had to take a swipe at it, regardless of the fact that most of the paint was missing.

58thecat
06-05-2020, 08:18 AM
I once had a big Lucky Strike plug that got so mangled by pike that the action got tweaked... it would wobble along but every so often would break its wobble and shoot off in a glide to one side or the other. If you put that thing within striking distance of a big pike the poor bugger didnt even have a choice... it pretty much had to take a swipe at it, regardless of the fact that most of the paint was missing.

Was planning on getting one torn up this morning but the weather still is not cooperating....maybe this afternoon....we did need the rain to keep the woods wet though so we can enjoy the fire pit.....and man we had water drop from the skies...socked in like Vancouver island in November....

58thecat
06-06-2020, 07:39 AM
Dam looks like I won't get out until tues/wed due to this weather......:(

I got new presents and can't play with them......:sign0176:

58thecat
06-25-2020, 04:19 PM
Well I had a hell of a day on the water...not sure if I should throw out this number but 52 combination of walleye, perch and pike all in 2.5hrs...I stopped counting after that...was simply stupid....got some intel that leaked...waited until the middle of the week to sneak out...the eyes and perch were caught on a white jig head, white twister tail and a small minnow...that was insane...now comes the good part out comes the heavies..Smokey Buck's Custom lures...all I can say is yup....stuck to the two smaller ones today in which they get down to about 8-10' got a nice wiggle like the coyote ugly ladies so you cant blame a little looksie and a bite....total time on the water was 6hrs...arms are sore!!!

To date with Smokeys Lure's I lost 3 lakers on the bigger ones....not sure why but that is fishing...will post pics when the day comes...tight lines!

58thecat
06-25-2020, 04:20 PM
another pic....164890

Smoky buck
06-25-2020, 04:24 PM
Good to see you are getting some results 👍

58thecat
06-25-2020, 04:26 PM

I gave it a whirl today and had a pig make a run at it....I panicked....and he rolled...lure flew out of the water as I saw everything coming right up till he opened his mouth...I yanked....3' feet of clear water...I know...rookie.

I tossed that for about 20 more casts...had chasers but they were intimidated I think...I got to play more with it to entice the bite...more to follow on that beauty.

Smoky buck
06-25-2020, 04:36 PM
I have only done a little shore fishing for pike in the rain. Forgot to bring a top water to test but buzzing my flashy bucktails ended with a bunch of small pike. Just little guys like this

Should finally break out the boat Saturday had to sort outa few things https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200625/ea371060ced9585e6a1ecee2623e7954.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZM
06-25-2020, 08:43 PM

Very nice work there. They look great, even to a discerning lure snob like me. What kind of hooks do you use?

Smoky buck
06-25-2020, 09:01 PM
Very nice work there. They look great, even to a discerning lure snob like me. What kind of hooks do you use?

Do to trying to keep to a Canadian supplier I have been using eagle claws presently do to cost in bulk. I had to break down to using a US supplier for other parts so I may consider switching if they have a better hook brand for a reasonable cost

Honestly where my designs really shine is the different actions.

Smoky buck
06-25-2020, 09:05 PM
I have actually been stepping up my painting to appease fishermen more so. Here is some of my more recent work https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200626/53394fb45ad07c301736b3a6460a3fe8.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200626/9b5cdddc7c4790e46e11481223c8e9fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58thecat
06-26-2020, 11:13 AM
I would also like to add the two lures that have had multiple pike caught on them the paint seems to be holding up too....

HuyFishin
06-26-2020, 11:47 AM
i'm very interested in seeing all the lure action.

Smoky buck
06-26-2020, 12:02 PM
i'm very interested in seeing all the lure action.

Once I know my boat is doing as it should and it stops raining every set off we will talk

mapleleafman3
06-26-2020, 01:20 PM
Beauts! Reminds me of some of the patterns I saw in my Grandpa's tackle box when I was a youngin'.