PDA

View Full Version : Places for shore fishing!?(places i been to)

ShoreAngler
08-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok so i been to Spray lake twice now,no luck, i guess spray lake has over 300 stumps in the water and 4-6 man made reef's made out of stumps and concrete they where put in the lakes in 1992,Kananaskis no luck (lower) i think the water was to low.Mcgregor lake no luck,Crawling lake (3 times) catch Walleye and pike every time we been there.My father caught one of the biggest Walleye in the lake from what the warden told him he was talking to my father well he was reeling it in . Chestermere lake,which i live catch 2-4 pike every time i go.

Went back to Crawling lake today and end up talking to a guy the fished in Crawling lake for 15 years and said the best time to catch fish is 9 in the morning there.The fish where not biting as much, guess last night there was 7feet white caps last night from the storm, boats sinking,from what buddy told me.So we heading back home, think that we wont be catching much due to the storm lastnight.In about 5hrs only caught 1 pike and a small walleye

So where are some other good places to fish? from the shore 1-3 and half hr drive is ok.

WayneChristie
08-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I fish off the shore mostly too, a lot of the reservoirs are good off the dam, PCR is awesome off the dock, Most of the rivers are easily fished from shore too.

ShoreAngler
08-03-2009, 06:28 AM
PCR, what is that where is that? Rivers which ones, still new to fishing in Calary only been in Calgary for 3 years and just started to fish this year in Calagry

Any good places to fish from the shore in the mountain's?

WayneChristie
08-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Pine coulee reservoir is just west of Stavely, an hour or so south of Calgary. the Bow in Calgary has a million places to fish. check out JTS1 google fishing map too fo rmore, there are lots of links to it in the forum.

nevercatchmuch
08-03-2009, 10:54 AM
at spray lake boat launch the fishing is usually good.

michichi dam by drumheller has stocked trout as does dickson dam

ShoreAngler
08-03-2009, 03:22 PM
on the bow where is the best places for spin cast?

salmonfan
08-03-2009, 05:04 PM
McKinnon Flats is good from shore. I have been fishing from shore in the Elbow, Bow, Glenmore Res, and out near Bragg Creek so far this year.

bassfisher
08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I've been there twice w/ my 4 yr old... Walleye were easy to catch w/ grub & jig head. Saw 2 guys tear them up w/ live minnows. Live is probably easier, but not necessary with the walleyes. Park & walk 100 yds & fish off the rocks.. real easy.

Looking for pike places so I will probably investigate your areas, Shore (thx!)

Lambo
08-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Red Deer river is good too. Fish downstream of Tolman bridge so you can use bait. Find really slow moving water which means you're probably at a deep hole and use slip bobbers or pickerel rigs. Right now, you'll catch lots of goldeye, sucker and the occasional walleye.

ShoreAngler
08-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Think of going ot Pine coulee reservoir, is there any other places near there that i should try? Where going to leave from Chestermere at 6 in the morning, Dont want to stay at PCR all day.

troller
08-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Saw 2 guys tear them up w/ live minnows. Live is probably easier, but not necessary with the walleyes. (thx!)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but is that not illegal?

Collecting Bait Fish
Catching bait fish (such as suckers) by angling, bowfishing or spearfishing is allowed from all waters open to fishing with these methods, even at waters where the collection of bait fish by other means is prohibited. Anglers may collect their own bait fish by minnow trap, dip net and seine net, but these fish must not be sold. The commercial collection of bait fish requires a Commercial Bait Fishing Licence. The following regulations apply to the collection of bait fish for personal use as bait:

The collection of bait fish is not permitted in waters having a bait ban or restriction on the use of bait fish, and in some other specified waters (see each Fish Management Zone for regulations).
The possession of live bait fish is prohibited. All bait fish kept must be killed immediately. Please do not kill more than needed because bait fish are important food for many sport fish.
Fish other than bait fish must be immediately released unharmed. Game fish such as perch must not be kept.
Seine nets may not be larger than 3 m in length and 2 m in depth.
Minnow traps may not have dimensions greater than 60 cm in length by 30 cm in width, depth or diameter.
No more than 2 minnow traps may be used at one time.
Minnow traps must bear the operator’s name, address and Sportfishing Licence number.
Crayfish cannot be used as bait. It is unlawful to possess live crayfish.

Remember:

* it is illegal to use live bait fish or crayfish as bait.
* it is illegal to set out or use bait to attract fish unless the bait is attached to a hook used in angling.
* it is illegal to use scented lures or scented weights where bait bans are in effect.

ShoreAngler
08-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but is that not illegal?

Collecting Bait Fish
Catching bait fish (such as suckers) by angling, bowfishing or spearfishing is allowed from all waters open to fishing with these methods, even at waters where the collection of bait fish by other means is prohibited. Anglers may collect their own bait fish by minnow trap, dip net and seine net, but these fish must not be sold. The commercial collection of bait fish requires a Commercial Bait Fishing Licence. The following regulations apply to the collection of bait fish for personal use as bait:

The collection of bait fish is not permitted in waters having a bait ban or restriction on the use of bait fish, and in some other specified waters (see each Fish Management Zone for regulations).
The possession of live bait fish is prohibited. All bait fish kept must be killed immediately. Please do not kill more than needed because bait fish are important food for many sport fish.
Fish other than bait fish must be immediately released unharmed. Game fish such as perch must not be kept.
Seine nets may not be larger than 3 m in length and 2 m in depth.
Minnow traps may not have dimensions greater than 60 cm in length by 30 cm in width, depth or diameter.
No more than 2 minnow traps may be used at one time.
Minnow traps must bear the operator’s name, address and Sportfishing Licence number.
Crayfish cannot be used as bait. It is unlawful to possess live crayfish.

Remember:

* it is illegal to use live bait fish or crayfish as bait.
* it is illegal to set out or use bait to attract fish unless the bait is attached to a hook used in angling.
* it is illegal to use scented lures or scented weights where bait bans are in effect.

So you can use live bait. Worms,leeches etc Or am i wrong?

troller
08-04-2009, 07:19 AM
So you can use live bait. Worms,leeches etc Or am i wrong?

I could be wrong, that is just under the "Collecting baitfish" part of the regs. I confuse easily :( LOL

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Didn't read anywhere to kill your worms or leeches? LOL

ShoreAngler
08-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Fishing with Bait
Bait — the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

what would you use leeches for, what fish like them?

WayneChristie
08-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I've been there twice w/ my 4 yr old... Walleye were easy to catch w/ grub & jig head. Saw 2 guys tear them up w/ live minnows. Live is probably easier, but not necessary with the walleyes. Park & walk 100 yds & fish off the rocks.. real easy.

if you see them using live minnows again cal RAP that is illegal in Alberta!!!!! and totally uneccessary in there too

troller
08-04-2009, 01:14 PM
what would you use leeches for, what fish like them?

Walleye for one seem too. Had luck with goldeye too but that is a waste of a good leech :lol:

ShoreAngler
08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Can you use live bait on the bow?

lakerman
08-05-2009, 11:36 AM
no

troller
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Can you use live bait on the bow?

This is the only section I could find you can use bait..just not live bait fish

"from Bassano Dam downstream to South Saskatchewan River
May 8 to Mar. 15 – Trout limit 2; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye and Sauger limit 3; Walleye over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0; Bait allowed.
Mar. 16 to May 7 – CLOSED"

There are a few sections of the river you can also use maggots only as bait.

bassfisher
08-08-2009, 08:18 AM
On page 31 of regs, it states bait allowed on Pine Coulee. On page 26, ES 1 Watershed Unit, bait in not allowed in ES1 streams. Fishing with bait in lakes is allowed at lakes without bait bans under "ES 1 Lake & Stream Listings".. Page 21, defines the baits... minnows are on their.. can't use pet store fish

So, I assume as long as the specific lake that you are at is not banned for bait fishing, you are allowed...

but I agree it's unnecessary, but to give some kids a great chance to catch fish, why not?

RedHeadedFisherman
08-08-2009, 10:48 PM

was at PRC today got 60 walleye in 4 1/2 hrs of the dock guy next to me got a 39" pike ( chashed a small 'eye and got hooked/tangleed dumb pike lol late time he will do that he went home with the guy:D
not to many soaters.. but one boater was a real ^%$%#$#^ said the docks were soly for boaters user.. i took his boat #'s and reported him.. as he came in 3 times right over 5 fishermens lise, cutting 2.. ( i pulled mine FAST lol)

as for geting to PRC i have posted good directions on another post on here

Pine Coulee Reservoir
6km west & 4 km south of Stavely Alberta on SH 527 then 1km east on Township Road 140 Follow the boat launch signs on good paved roads ( till you get to Pine Coulee) Good Boat Launch.

So.. with that, i will say by for now..
Tight Lines Yaall
RedHeadedFisherman

PS ..baitfisher83 where do u live.. i have car.,, extra seat lol))))