PDA

View Full Version : Out to Quarry

Beazer
08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
OK, having a go with a couple buddies at Quarry Lake this time.
Bringing the same unlucky one that made us catch zero fish at PCR.

Any good spots, hints or tips for Mr.Grayling at Quarry Lake?

I've read through several threads and it seems like my roosters, pm's, blue fox, and mepps might be good.

I have to use nuts for weight as I realized all mine is in Sask :tongue2:

Anyone thought that a tube might work or possibly some wedding ring type setups?

Any other gold mines for fishing around Canmore as we will probably be there all day until 6ish.

ps-is there a small shop i can pick up weight from?or even some super tiny flies. I only have a couple tiny flies already and it seems those work best.

Using a spinning rig.

pps-I understand they don't normally eat fish but would bringing some super small fish crankbaits possibly work?

Should I tie directly or would a swivel snap be acceptable?

jts1
08-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Quarry has some nice fish in it. When you walk up to the lake from the parking lot. That end of the lake has a drop off a few meters out you will see it. The greyling Will be hanging right off that edge. Wade out and cast right along it. Wapiti sports has a great little shop there Great guys , will help you with what ever you need. On the way back you can hit Grotto Pond or Gap Lake they are both on the 1A just west of Exshaw. Gap is free flowing into the Bow so what ever you find in the Bow you will find in Gap BIG Browns hide in it , but there is a bait ban. Grotto is a stocked Trout pond and everything goes there. With Greyling there is no need for a swivel just tie straight away. Good luck and let us know how you did.

Spidey
08-02-2009, 11:10 PM
You better hope for crappy weather. I live about 500m from Quarry Lake and in the summer that's where all the families hang out as it is the local swimmin' hole. If it's rainy you should be ok, but if not you'll be competing for shore space with swimmers, kayakers and amateur cliff divers! If you are there during the day and there is a lot of people, your best bet would be the Southeast end of the lake (opposite the beach area). There are some steep drops on either side and the Grayling seem to like to cruise this end.

Your best best is very early in the am or at dusk when the crowds leave. The smallest Griffith's Knat you can buy at Wapiti Sports should do the trick for Quarry Grayling. Just tie it with about 8ft of 6x tippit behind a casting bobber and cast away (a little weight about 3ft behind the fly might help get it down as well.)

If you are coming this far, why not try the Bow? Upstream or downstream from the downtown bridge gets you into fish (usually browns) quickly. Also under the Engine bridge (a few hundred meters west of the downtown bridge) is good for whites. But again, if it's a nice day, you'll have a lot of wading/swimming/rafting company!

Good luck! This weekend is also the Canmore folk festival so the usual hords of Calgarians, tourists, etc. will be amplified.....

What day/time do you think you'll be at Quarry? If I'm around, Ill walk down and give you a few of my fav. flies that I tied for those Grayling.

Beazer
08-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Didn't go today.:(
Buddies bailed on me. weather really sucked. etc.

I think the odds were against me but I'm still going to try and head out there Tuesday morning. Dunno if I want to go in early morning or later in the evening.

Probably would have been a good day with the rain passing too.
Just need to get that Griffith's Gnat, and some weight lol.
I'm going to try out all of those spots. bow, gap, grotto, so we will see how the weather holds up.