PDA

View Full Version : Boating etiquette and fellow anglers

Sundancefisher
06-08-2020, 09:17 AM
Just hoping the guys involved read this.

Nothing was said on the water however driving up under power on float tubers casting to fish on a lake and then driving around them was not cool. Spooked the fish on what was a very slow day.

Another boat was super cool and motored to near the area then rowed in and then rowed out. Cudos to you guys.

Everyone was fly fishing.

-JR-
06-08-2020, 10:36 AM
I find many local that have cabins on lakes fail to Register boats or do not have the numbers on the boat so we can call it in . I find many water skiers like to drive around fishing boats thinking they own the water. Wizard Lake is really known for this . If few guys at Wabamun do the same west of Fallis

-JR-
06-08-2020, 10:37 AM
I find many local that have cabins on lakes fail to Register boats or do not have the numbers on the boat so we can call it in . I find many water skiers like to drive around fishing boats thinking they own the water. Wizard Lake is really known for this . A few guys at Wabamun do the same west of Fallis

dodgeboy1979
06-08-2020, 11:45 AM
What lake was this at?

Sundancefisher
06-08-2020, 11:50 AM
What lake was this at?

Does it matter? They didn’t seem like jerks...just clueless. Driving around us looking for structure...while we were on structure getting bites.

It is a lake local to Calgary. One boat hopped from structure to structure rowing. The other dudes...motored.

They literally circled us...and while they may of thought they were a ways away...it wasn’t for the fish we were chasing. Stealth is often critical where there is heavy pressure.

58thecat
06-08-2020, 11:58 AM
sometimes a nice talk is all what is needed, maybe they didn't understand the nature of your style of fishing etc...

kilgoretrout
06-08-2020, 12:31 PM
While etiquette should be practiced everywhere, calling it out here really means nothing as the likelihood of said offenders viewing this is minimal ....... however it may open some other eyes ahead of a similar situation ..... I would call them out there and then in the future ...... no it was not me although I have been out to a few lakes I was not under power unless you include fin power......:)

dodgeboy1979
06-08-2020, 02:35 PM
ya it's ****ty there is no common courtesy given to the folks in tubes in this instance, I've even had it at lakes where I'm bottom bouncing going slow and the jet skis feel the need to zip real close by, nothing annoys me more.

dodger
06-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Boaters in AB are a strange group. I have had guys troll so close to me I can see inside their boat.

Dodger.

SamSteele
06-08-2020, 07:56 PM
I’ve had guys fly across the lake and stop less than 20 yards directly in front of me to toss an anchor while I’m bottom bouncing with my kids. I called them out and they replied with more blue in the air than a 70’s 2 stroke.

The simple “do unto others as you would have them do to you” would solve most issues.

58thecat
06-09-2020, 06:00 AM
Seen two fools swinging paddles at each other once.....I never laughed so hard out loud when thier wives put all in order....the kids and the ol'men all took thier seats, shut up and went about their business of enjoying a day on the water....maybe we need our wives or mothers out there....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

But no soccer moms or hockey moms please....:scared0018:

brass410
06-09-2020, 06:45 AM
yeah a little consideration goes a long way, we used to fish Georgian bay in the spring for trout ,trolling along the shoreline, guys would troll right up into the prop wash behind you if they saw you catch a fish, totally rude. My fishing partner was an old guy who fixed outboards ( I was just a kid, he was probably 30, but I had a boat and motor but couldn't go alone) He started coming out with two rods one good and one not so much, when they would get on our tail he would change rods and drop a small float and the dump the spool while having me turn in gradual arcs till all the line stripped off and around their prop that Dacron line would wind up tight till it would stall their motors. He said good fences made good nieghbours.

walleye guy
06-09-2020, 08:32 AM
I always get a kick out of it when people will anchor up on one of my marker buoys. 😣

Justfishin73
06-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Boating etiquette.......heard about it, haven't seen much though......

barbless
06-09-2020, 09:06 AM
Had it happen lots. For some reason they motor hard close to where your anchored and set up close enough to cast into their boat. Or when your trolling on a certain line they pull up right in front of ya. Couldn't wait till you went by that spot. Once in a while I just use the horn. They stopped so close in front of me I had to do the hard left so as not to ram them. We are talking 50 feet in front of me. Really? 3 boat lengths. Guess I shouldn't be fishing in their water :argue2:

58thecat
06-09-2020, 10:10 AM
I don't worry about it I got a 14' crestliner tin boat...very durable and if you want to bump your 70k rig off mine go ahead....I run it up on shores...bounce of docks etc....so a little luv rub with a nice fiber glass or fancy painted rig wont bother me....toooot toooot.:)

I did have a fella troll by me turn out and his line wrapped around my shoulder....I let it go until he was spooled and kept the 5 of diamonds too:sHa_shakeshout:

but that being said that over a long time of fishing...there are some really nice people out there too...

barbless
06-09-2020, 10:19 AM
I don't worry about it I got a 14' crestliner tin boat...very durable and if you want to bump your 70k rig off mine go ahead....I run it up on shores...bounce of docks etc....so a little luv rub with a nice fiber glass or fancy painted rig wont bother me....toooot toooot.:)

I did have a fella troll by me turn out and his line wrapped around my shoulder....I let it go until he was spooled and kept the 5 of diamonds too:sHa_shakeshout:

but that being said that over a long time of fishing...there are some really nice people out there too...

HA HA good one:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_sarcasticlol:

dryflyguy
06-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Not just etiquette while fishing, my favorite is when a group of boats are anchored in a bay or on a flat for a day of relaxing and enjoying some good company and the water only to have some delta bravo's come ripping through on their Sea-Doo's and Wave Runners. No regard for the safety of anyone playing in the water or watercraft that are anchored.

And to the wake boats with full ballasts that come barrelling in, speakers blasting, tossing up 2 foot waves, only to leave immediately after doing a 2 minute loser cruise...give your heads a shake, stick to the main lake or at least come in way less hot for everyone else's sake

Sooner
06-09-2020, 11:32 AM
Boaters in AB are a strange group. I have had guys troll so close to me I can see inside their boat.

Dodger.

Agree. We were on Graham lake 30 yrs ago, anchored a long way from the main group and catching lots of double headers. It didn't take long and some seen our action and started trolling by. That was frustrating but one guy just drifted over and actually let his boat bonk our 12 ft tinner and kept on fishing beside us.

How bad is that. At least the old sears boat was marking up his nice boat :)

fish99
06-09-2020, 09:10 PM
one year out on coast the locals and guide was having a tough time catching chinooks . the guide asked us what we were using and we told him . the next day he still was coming up empty and decided to troll behind us and snag our lines to check what we using . the next day when we came back from shopping in town the camp ground owner had the travel cover off of our boat and was going thru our tackle box and checking what was on our rods for hoochies . while we were in French creek we heard
the locals telling people to follow the white campion if you want to catch fish. sometimes success gets crowded.

EZM
06-09-2020, 10:43 PM
I once tried running RavYak over with my boat.

Had the trolling motor on auto (following the shoreline and drop off) and he was parked in front of me casting off the break.

Gotta pay attention with Autopilot !!!!!!!! :)

graybeard
06-13-2020, 10:15 AM
Lake Newell yesterday.....:angry3:

Two big, holier than thou, fat belly boaters, (at the risk of being suspended, I hope you get the picture), thinking they owned the place, roared 2/3's into the inlet, in their 20’ boat, had a look then sharply spun around and roared off out.

In addition they cut three lines off with mine being one. Stirred up the silt real bad and myself and others had to scramble up the bank to avoid being swamped from the waves.

Fish and Wildlife now has the description of you two and your boat. All 9 people are willing to go to court, if it gets that far.

Your selfish actions ruined a portion of their outing, for the 9 people who were enjoying the afternoon.

What did you think you were accomplishing when you had the whole lake to play on?

ctd
06-13-2020, 10:42 AM
one year out on coast the locals and guide was having a tough time catching chinooks . the guide asked us what we were using and we told him . the next day he still was coming up empty and decided to troll behind us and snag our lines to check what we using . the next day when we came back from shopping in town the camp ground owner had the travel cover off of our boat and was going thru our tackle box and checking what was on our rods for hoochies . while we were in French creek we heard
the locals telling people to follow the white campion if you want to catch fish. sometimes success gets crowded.

Or they report you to fisheries.

pikergolf
06-13-2020, 03:37 PM
Meh, some people just have a very small personal space. One of the nicest guys I know will park right beside you and strike up a conversation like you are best of friends. I met him when he almost ran me over with his boat when I was wading. He just wanted to see what I was catching fish on. We struck up a conversation and remain friends to this day, he loves it when someone parks on top of him, he will talk your ear off. If I am bothered I just pack up and move. Not worth ruining my day over.

WayneChristie
06-13-2020, 03:46 PM

Dodger.

next time take your pants off. should scare anyone away! :scared0018:

Scottmisfits
06-13-2020, 04:59 PM
Yesterday at Pine Coulee there was a couple of people on jetski's that ripped the shoreline right in front of us. I literally cast out just after they went by and I was a good 15' past the middle of their wake. I wouldn't expect them to do much right at the boat launch but I would imagine head out to the middle of the lake, or a couple hundred feet off before going full bore.
Everybody has to share the water, I am fine with that. But a little consideration goes a long way. They did stop doing it after they were coming back, just as close, and he saw me cast right in to his path. He was a good bit away and I dont think he really knew just how close he was until he saw how far out we were really casting.

fordtruckin
06-13-2020, 10:32 PM

Dodger.

It's not just AB. We have plenty here in MT that do the same thing. We even have state laws against watercraft coming in above wake speed within a certain distance of anyone angling. I know when I check licenses I always throttle down way out and approach just above idle. Have only had one group get angry as they mistook our boat for some other jerks that kept creeping in on their fishing hole. Once they realized it was the Game Warden and Forest Service LEO they were quite embarrassed.

opto55
06-14-2020, 09:34 AM
Hi oilngas. I remember fishing along side you at Long lake back in the day when someone came up and anchored too close to you . You told him in no uncertain terms “ IT S A BIG F... LAKE BUDDY ! “ I believe he left. Still laugh about it to this day.
Opto55

WayneChristie
06-14-2020, 12:20 PM
people wonder why I wont give up spots online. yesterday morning I was trying for carp, no luck so I switched to a sturgeon rod and caught a couple big suckers. guy walks down sees me catch them and goes back to his car. Comes back carrying a weeks worth of gear that definitely cost more than my truck. I was 6 feet back from shore because there was a big mudhole and I didnt feel like sitting in it. Guy walks right to the shore and puts his stuff down, starts setting up his rod. I told him I was fishing straight out and he would be right on top of my line. Totally ignores me so I used a few nicer words. I know he speaks English fine Ive talked to him before. just continues to ignore me, so I mentioned the pain a 7 ounce chunk of lead would inflict on a mentally challenged person. he just laughed at me til I put one an inch from his earlobe. I told him I was in the worst spot there to start firing out multi hook rapalas he just said I watch where you cast. I told him it was a cast a fish so it would be a while, still didnt want to leave til I remembered the lack of social filter my concussion still causes in certain circumstances. :test: and maybe even came up with a few new words for his English Vocabulary. I was fair I did tell him he was F Inn rude and he had miles of river to fish besides in front of my chair. He finally decided I was as crazy as I look so he went to fish by his poacher buddies. Reason I was so mad because a week before I went down and met a couple guys in a little black SUV pulling out. Later an old fellow maybe late 80s told me they took at least 100 fish from the river, all species and took them all home. If they happen to be reading this, guess what you are going to lose, things are in motion to get you off our river :bad_boys_20: some ,members forget the signed in co members are only a small portion of forum readers, so when you so generously post spots the poachers are the first to take advantage of it.

huntsfurfish
06-14-2020, 08:05 PM
Good post Wayne. Way to easy to burn a spot online.

And no excuse for that guy to be that ignorant to you.

OL_JR
06-14-2020, 09:16 PM
I usually dont get to worked up if someone decides to get a bit close, would much prefer some space but in the big picture got bigger fish to fry. I always give lots of space to others and sometimes the favour isn't returned but thats life.

Now what actually gets on my nerves is these stupid wake boats. They can toss a real deep and close together type of wave that is plain dangerous if you cant get the bow pointed the right way in time. Ive taken water on twice in a boat and both times directly due to wake boats. Wish guys operating them would be a bit more careful and mindful of others.