PDA

View Full Version : Lake Minnewanka Charter Fishing?

ShoreAngler
08-03-2009, 06:31 AM
We are think of doing this for out last fishing trip.Just wondering if any one did this, and if so was it a good time did you catch any thing, how long where you on the lake for?

jts1
08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Great idea. Its 500$ for the first two guys then 75$ each guy after that. Full boat all gear 8 hrs on the water. Super guys and lots of fish. Do it if you can you won't regret it.

jrcw
08-03-2009, 11:07 AM
I used to guide there myself and can tell you that a knowledgeable guide on that lake is almost a must...especially later in the season. It can be a tough lake to fish at the best of times and as the water warms the lakers can be deep and lethargic.

Minnewanka Tours (now run by Brewster) has a couple newer boats and a guide named Blair who has been there forever. He knows the lake and how to fish it. If you're going with Minnewanka Tours, ask for Blair and work around his schedule if possible to book a trip with him.

BFU (Banff Fishing Unlimited) has been on the lake a long time too and have a guide named Jeff who also knows his stuff. Their boats are are well-rigged and Jeff has the experience to know where the fish are and how to catch them.

Try to book an evening trip if possible and remember to tip your guide! :) Life in the Bow Valley is expensive and the hourly wages are terrible!

Safety D
08-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Go with Ian. He is the lake trout GURU of minni !!!!

Lambo
08-03-2009, 07:20 PM
How does that work with National Park license? Do you have to buy a license for the year/day/weekend? Or is it included in the charter fee? What's the typical amount of gratuity for the guide? I'm very interested in booking a charter. Anyone else want to join in?

jrcw
08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
When I guided there the licence was included in your charter fee. That said, it would be best to look into this before hand to be sure. I did 4 hour charters and the average tip was $20-$50 for a group of two, sometimes more...and sometimes zero. Guiding in Banff is a bit of an anomaly in the business. As expected given the location, I'd get clients from all over the world. Some cultures are more apt to tip than others. Brits would hardly ever tip and the Americans tipped the best. When I guided at a fly-in resort my guests were all American and we would take a boat of 4 out for 8-10 hours a day and the usual tip was about $100 US. I hope that helps a bit. As a guide I know that a tip is very much appreciated....if it's deserved. Keep in mind though, guiding is harder work than one may think. Remember, they are fish GUIDES not fish GODS...and it's called 'fishing' not 'catching'.

nicemustang
08-04-2009, 09:40 AM
This is on my bucket list to do sometime, probably next summer. A general rule to tipping my dad always taught me, $5 a fish of any size. So if you catch 20 10+ lbers, then that was a great day of fishing and $100 tip is worth it IMO.