Speckle55
06-10-2020, 03:31 PM
Bill give me a call to come and see :sSig_cool2:

so I go over and he's bought a 20hp electric :acigar:

we are ready for a quick trip to Maligne

he had to mention that he has a new 13' Spey rod too

this getting Old is fun if you fish:character0053:

where are you Wascally Brook Trout:shark:

chasing our Catfish Hunter(Grumpy Old Men)

David:)

Stinky Buffalo
06-10-2020, 03:40 PM
I've looked at those in the past - nice motor!

Have fun, and make sure you share all those pics of the wascally brown trout!

SNAPFisher
06-10-2020, 03:49 PM
20hp is the big boy! Not a cheap investment but a hell of a lot of fun, no doubt. I've seen the 8hp on some boats on pothole lakes ... obvious overkill there but not for Maligne-sized lakes.

pikergolf
06-10-2020, 03:55 PM
Hope you have a small nuke to power it.

EZM
06-10-2020, 09:11 PM
That's cool, curious about top speed compared to 20 hp gas, and, of course how thristy she is for juice.

That may precipitate a half dozen batteries for a trip !!!! lol

huntsfurfish
06-10-2020, 09:46 PM
Wow! New about the smaller ones, but that thing is a bigun.:):sHa_shakeshout:

RACKER
06-10-2020, 09:52 PM
That is one cool looking motor.Good for you!Hope ya have a blast out there and look forward to more of your interesting posts.

Mr Flyguy
06-10-2020, 10:01 PM
I've looked at those in the past - nice motor!

Have fun, and make sure you share all those pics of the wascally brown trout!

Might have extreme difficulty finding brown trout in Maligne!

Stinky Buffalo
06-11-2020, 07:19 AM
Might have extreme difficulty finding brown trout in Maligne!

Haha! Good catch (pun intended!)

catnthehat
06-11-2020, 07:52 AM
WOWZERS!! That is something else!:sHa_shakeshout:
I too would be interested in how long an average charge would last and what type of batteries etc, you take!:)
Cat

thorne
06-11-2020, 08:45 AM
Very cool motor, and ya...pricy! I can see a bunch of standard batteries in the back ground...that motor runs a 48V system and is recommended to have 2x48v lithium Ion battery packs in parallel....but at 5k Americian each....I can see the desire to maybe skip those. However, 4X12V Lead Acid Batteries in Series....well, thats gonna be a short ride...lol. Not sure of the entire set up your friend has..but I am also Very Curious as to how it works for ya!!

coachman
06-11-2020, 08:54 AM
I have run it in the tank for over a hour at different speeds with 4 rolls 155ah batteries. It took 15 minutes to recharge the batteries @ 10 amps. I think the biggest problem is getting it down slow enough to troll. With the 4 batteries at full power I am drawing about 6000 watts, would need another bank of 4 to get it up to 10000. The thing to do would be to spend the extra 15000 and get their batteries. For more info on this motors get a hold of the Reel Doctor.

thorne
06-11-2020, 09:48 AM
Very cool! Lets face it, its the wsay of the future. Hopefully in time costs will come down. Would live the swap out the 5.5 Mag Mercuriser in my boat for a compatible electric system on a solar charging system....but for now, thats not an option..Good on ya for getting on it!

nick0danger
06-11-2020, 11:20 AM
when I looked at there website I believe it said 1 hour a WOT (just over 20KM/h)

ericlin0122
06-11-2020, 11:26 AM
you can always bring a yamaha generator on board to charge the batteries :)
technically you are not running a "gas" motor.

chickensashimi
06-11-2020, 12:09 PM
That’s awesome!!

thorne
06-11-2020, 01:05 PM

I use a Honda 1200eu in my 14' inflatable to recharge the Minnkota batteries. Definitely will not keep up with the constant draw, but does allow some top up when just sitting, and definitely extends run time.

coachman
06-11-2020, 03:54 PM
Tried solar charging at Malinge, do to the fact there are mountains on both side the sun come up late and goes down early, very limited full sun to get the panels working good, maybe 4 hours of charging time.

jwelds191
06-12-2020, 09:58 AM
That's cool, curious about top speed compared to 20 hp gas, and, of course how thristy she is for juice.

That may precipitate a half dozen batteries for a trip !!!! lol

I think it will too, lol!

EZM, I've had 8 batteries before, for my (50 or 55 lb) thrust electric and a 4-day trip to Coronet Creek on Maligne.

smitty9
06-12-2020, 10:23 AM

Quick story...don't know if it's urban legend or true...told to me by Lorne Currie.

Years, ago, a group of young fellas booked some campsites at Maligne, brought a generator, and, shall we say, numerous flats of beer.

Predictably, they got out of hand, complaints were made, and bingo. Generators were banned at Maligne Lake campsites.

Just checked my reservations from last time, and the Parks Canada website.

That doesn't appear to be an actual policy...anyone know for sure?

timsesink
06-12-2020, 05:49 PM
Quick story...don't know if it's urban legend or true...told to me by Lorne Currie.

Years, ago, a group of young fellas booked some campsites at Maligne, brought a generator, and, shall we say, numerous flats of beer.

Predictably, they got out of hand, complaints were made, and bingo. Generators were banned at Maligne Lake campsites.

Just checked my reservations from last time, and the Parks Canada website.

That doesn't appear to be an actual policy...anyone know for sure?

I'm sure its somewhere. Even if it isn't and someone brought one in they'd find it pretty quick in the lake at the end of the site dock.

I know it's an unpopular view on AO but I would love to see Maligne & Lakeland Canoe Circuit be paddle power only. There's plenty of lakes in the province with motor boat access, a few set aside for those who prefer paddling would be appreciated (ex. BC W/ Myrtle & Bowron)..