PDA

View Full Version : Fishing boat questions

dth_
06-13-2020, 11:27 PM
Hey All, I've been kicking around the idea of buying a fishing boat this year or next and I've got next to no clue about boats. My family never had them growing up and I've spent very little time fishing out of them, so I'm looking for some opinions and guidance on something that would suit me well for fishing most lakes in AB and SK.

I think I am looking for something in the 16-17' size, Early 2000s-2015ish, with a Deep-V welded aluminum hull and dual console/walk-thru windshield in the neighborhood of $20k. Towability is not really an issue as I have a diesel 3/4 ton. Looking for bang-for-your-buck type that is a good, solid, hassle free and comfortable to spend the day in with the girlfriend and dog or a couple buddies.

What should I be staying away from or specifically looking for? What would I be giving up by going to something with a riveted hull? What kind of HP in that type of boat is getting to be too under powered? Is it worth spending the extra for a Lund /Alumacraft/Princecraft? Are there other questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sea Hawk
06-14-2020, 12:02 AM
Are you planning to use your boat for strictly fishing or possibly water sking or tubing. Also what is your preferred method of fishing,anchoring or trolling. What kind of water do you fish. Any boat will work on a pothole but not on calling lake when the wind starts to blow. The one thing i would recommend is whatever you buy, make sure it has a 4 stroke engine on it and enjoy your search. Also, make sure that whatever you buy that you try it on the water before you lay down the cash.

Coiloil37
06-14-2020, 02:35 AM
It’s a lot easier to buy a boat then it is to sell one. Look around, ask the questions and work out what you need before you spend your money. If they’re not maintained they can be endless trouble and money pits. Most boats in your neck of the woods die from neglect not over use. Keep the engine size near max for the hull. Some people don’t mind but I hate being under powered.
Personally I could care less if it’s riveted or welded. On big water I prefer glass but on lakes there’s nothing wrong with alloy.

I bought and sold the last boat I owned in Alberta in your price range. It was a 2011 and I sold it in 2018 for $23k with the electric downriggers, 24v ipilot, battery banks, alternator charging systems, house charging system, both engines, 7” helix sounder, all the safety gear, clears, travel cover, life jackets, rod holders, list goes on. It was a fishing machine and I had it well set up. That’s the kind of deal that you should be looking for. $20k will certainly buy you a respectable boat.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200614/55c52dcce78e789e4f55764397e048f8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200614/6dcf287bdc1d5e549c3d94c3c1409db1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200614/fc52f68f33117051f539bbab181d6a70.jpg

Penner
06-14-2020, 06:58 AM
FYI none of these Lund/Alumacraft/Princecraft have welded hulls (their riveted). Tracker (lower quality), Crestliner (mid-range), and heavier duty boats like Kingfisher, Weldcraft, etc would be welded.

For $20k your likely looking at something 7-10 years old for something 90hp or greater. At that age electronics likely quite outdated so if you find something without that would be better as you’ll get more boat. Consider if you need to add updated electronics (finder + trolling motor) that would start at $3k for a basic setup. Travel cover at that age will be nearing its end. Consider the cost to replace that also.

Look for a boat something equipped near/at its highest maximum hp rating as you’ll be disappointed with an underpowered boat.

Generally how the previous owner took care of the boat will indicate the mechanical state of the boat. Excessive wear, dents to hull or prop/leg of motor are signs of abuse. Check all moving components (sterling, throttle, trailer bearings, tires, etc) bilge pump, lights, etc. Ask for service records. Is boat clean? Try to arrange for a test drive. Check for leans!

Jims83cj5
06-14-2020, 08:09 AM
Watch the year of Lund boats, once lund was bought out their transoms became considerably better. Until then figure in the cost to redo it. Speaking from experience.

Fishwhere
06-14-2020, 11:01 AM
Its really hard without knowing the lake size youll be going too and how often and how you like to fish. This is what it looks like so far;
- 4 adults often plus potential dog
- mid to large size lakes
- typical fishing in easy or moderate weather

Youll need a boat with 1000+pound weight accounting for people, dog, gear, and misc. You will want a 90hp minimum(always try max out hp for boat size. This automatically puts you into a new boat range of $25000-$35000 potentially including electronics and trolling motor depending. The boat style is bigger then the lund furys, and crestliner visions pushing you into the next higher range for weight and hp.

I would seriously think if you need that size of boat consistently, but it seems like you may if you often have a full boat. And then you wont be overloaded and underpowered. But perhaps you dont need that size often. I have a 16ft with a 60hp with a 700 pound weight but my wife and i are smaller and we typically dont stack the boat with 4 adults - so it works for us. Food for thought, probably about a $5000-$15000 difference, and for the most part its good for us. I also take my boat to sk every year. And its good in moderate weather.

For $20000 you will forsure be buying used unless you downsize the boat a bit to where im at. I did a ton of research when buying mine 5 years ago and im a hhhuugggeee fan of the crestliner etec combos, or as a close second alumacraft yamaha combo. But to each their own, do your research. I saw a boat on kijiji similar to what your looking for about a week ago on kijiji. I think it was a alumacraft with a 90 or 100hp 5-10 years old for $20000 or under.

Good luck.

roper1
06-14-2020, 09:31 PM
We bought "used but good" last year. Started researching & shopping in March, bought the last week of August. Learned a lot here & on-line, research as much as you can. Had it in the water 6 times last fall, 7 times already this spring. Loving it!!

Started out bargain hunting, expanding 'purchase' budget might lead to less 'maintenance' budget. We bought a one-owner boat off a gent who was retiring from boating. Maintenance records in a folder an inch thick.

Might make the boat sell easier in the future if we've had enough.Many boats suffer from lack of use, just my observation. Good luck!

OL_JR
06-14-2020, 09:59 PM
I assume there will be some certain brand fanboys that get on this and preach to high heaven about how theirs is the best but there are a lot of good boats out there.

With a 20k budget you will no doubt be going used if you want any kind of bang for buck. With the dollar where it is and the amount of folks basically mortgaging toys with little regard to the end cost you would be lucky to get a a basic 14' with an open deck/live well/ appropriately powered motor for that.

Take some time on platforms like kijiji/townpost/ walleye central and get a feel for what things are worth and pounce when a good deal comes by. They always do but they are gone quick.

SamSteele
06-14-2020, 10:49 PM
Hey All, I've been kicking around the idea of buying a fishing boat this year or next and I've got next to no clue about boats. My family never had them growing up and I've spent very little time fishing out of them, so I'm looking for some opinions and guidance on something that would suit me well for fishing most lakes in AB and SK.

I think I am looking for something in the 16-17' size, Early 2000s-2015ish, with a Deep-V welded aluminum hull and dual console/walk-thru windshield in the neighborhood of $20k. Towability is not really an issue as I have a diesel 3/4 ton. Looking for bang-for-your-buck type that is a good, solid, hassle free and comfortable to spend the day in with the girlfriend and dog or a couple buddies.

What should I be staying away from or specifically looking for? What would I be giving up by going to something with a riveted hull? What kind of HP in that type of boat is getting to be too under powered? Is it worth spending the extra for a Lund /Alumacraft/Princecraft? Are there other questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

May want to look at the Princecraft Amarok that Barry Jays has in stock. They had a number of 2019s with really good prices that would be right in your ballpark and they are brand new so full warranty. They are carrying boat show pricing forward as the show didn’t really happen this past March. 16.5 foot boat with a full windshield, rod locker, live well, and a 60 hp 4 stroke. If you have any questions about them, feel free to PM me. I did a walk through of them here:

https://youtu.be/zViwX1rEIL4

-JR-
06-15-2020, 05:52 AM
Like it was said ,take it for a good test drive ,then see how much water drains out of the boat after the trip . Its the extra that are nice when buying used boat: spare prop ,ski ropes,boat covers ,life jackets etc. Don't buy the first one you see
Look at a few then decide. Also measure boat on trailer . Just might not fit in your garage !

dth_
06-15-2020, 06:10 PM
Thanks all for the pointers and suggestions. It will be strictly for fishing-- anchoring or trolling/drifting. Not planning on regularily fishing big water in poor conditions. I'm in no rush to buy and have ton of time on night shifts for internet-ing and kijiji-ing.

southernman
06-15-2020, 07:55 PM
I think you looking at about the right size, 16-17 can be managed by one person, launch and retrieve, a quality name brand will have better resale and or trade, sum thing worth considering, I've had a 1675 lund, held it in high regard.
the 115 hp everuide fitct out board, not so much, thank god for the electric trolling motor, took me home several times.

In regards to motor HP for boat size, look at the label on the traserm, it have a HP range on most boats, My recommendation is at least the mid point and up for an outboard, two reasons for this a bigger engine working less hard is more fuel efficient and has less wear and tear, second reason, is a bit of power to spare, may in the event, that a wave or water picks up the stern, and starts to push the boat (surf), (This Can lead to a capsize) requires power to acceralate out. or simply to make a fast run to shore, to out run bad weather.
Oh and install bearing buddies, on the trailer wheels.