PDA

View Full Version : Mepps Black Fury, Mepps Sycolops

Jay845
06-14-2020, 09:13 AM
What size and dot colour for Mepps Black Fury hooks would you recommend for pike fishing in Northern Saskatchewan?

What size and colour for Mepps Sycolops would you recommend for pike fishing in Northern Saskatchewan?

Thinking of picking up a few of each and would love to hear what everyones favs are.

huntingd
06-16-2020, 12:47 AM
Mepps fire tiger. Absolutely slams them. I've got a cabin way up a few hours past la ronge and that is literally all I bring.

trophyhunter
06-16-2020, 05:13 AM
Mepps black with yellow dots and yellow twister tail, biggest size syclops in any colour [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58thecat
06-16-2020, 05:56 AM
Mepps fire tiger. Absolutely slams them. I've got a cabin way up a few hours past la ronge and that is literally all I bring.

Man must be a gold mine for pike.....probably could toss anything out in a place like that.....:sHa_shakeshout:

cranky
06-16-2020, 07:49 AM
I dont use anything that expensive in the NSR. To many snags to lose them on.
I use 3/8 ounce jigs and twister tails. Any colour i guess. Im partial to black mostly.

Ooops i misread your post. I see you werent asking for info re: NSR. My bad. But hey Jigs and twister tails are cheap and work good anywhere any how.

The Fisherman Guy
06-16-2020, 10:36 PM
Mepps Aglia size 3 for spring shallows, size 4/5 for summer cabbage

Aglia long is also good, silver blade - runs deeper

Definitely pick up a few dressed Aglia as well, the hair holds scent from previous fish and adds that third dimension: Vibration/Light/Scent

Don't forget to take a few swimbaits... Berkley Ripple Shad, Powerbait The Champ Swimmer, Power Swimmer etc. Definitely do not overlook these.

When I was guiding in North Sask, swimbaits and spinners were king for Pike.

Dielbo
06-17-2020, 10:06 AM
Fish the heaviest weighted spoon your rod can handle. When you think it's too big, it probably not. Also, bring some top-water lures too. It's a blast watching a pike smash your lure on the surface. My favorite is a bass lure: Booyah spinnerbait (3/8 oz in white or chartreuse fire-tiger (perch imitation). I caught a number of sizable pike in Lesser Slave on a 6 wt fly rod with these spinnerbait. Fish them in weedy shallows where pike hang out after ice off.

Bushleague
06-17-2020, 10:12 AM
Mepps Aglia size 3 for spring shallows, size 4/5 for summer cabbage

Aglia long is also good, silver blade - runs deeper

Definitely pick up a few dressed Aglia as well, the hair holds scent from previous fish and adds that third dimension: Vibration/Light/Scent

Don't forget to take a few swimbaits... Berkley Ripple Shad, Powerbait The Champ Swimmer, Power Swimmer etc. Definitely do not overlook these.

When I was guiding in North Sask, swimbaits and spinners were king for Pike.

A #3 mepps is an extremely overlooked pike lure, they may be small but they can run shallow much slower than most other lures. Inspite of the popular opinion on pike lure size, running speed, action, and depth are usually far more important considerations than the simplified "big bait big fish" thing you hear so often.

Marty S
06-17-2020, 01:29 PM
A silver Comet dressed was always my favourite go to followed by Aglia Long, least favourite was Aglia by far

Always fantasized about buying it in a #6 or #7, but now on the Mepps site i dont see any dressed Comets for sale except the Black Fury. Or are the dressed Comets in the stores?

The Black Fury with yellow spots was always good... another fantasy lure... black/yellow black fury dressed in #6 and #7 for them big frikken pikes!!! I could see the big 20 lb+ pikes going after something like that regularly... too bad no one shares my vision/delusions!

I always hated the Aglia, too much resistance, too close to the top.

Syclops spoons.... i dont mind them but with they were a hair heavier gauge to cast farther and run a little deeper

The Mepps Little Wolf, is it a heavy gauge spoon or tinny also?

huntingd
06-17-2020, 04:11 PM
Man must be a gold mine for pike.....probably could toss anything out in a place like that.....:sHa_shakeshout:

It is. I've had the best luck by far with the fire tiger but a guy could probably use a stick and do just fine.