PDA

View Full Version : Mepps Black Fury, Mepps Sycolops

Jay845
06-14-2020, 09:20 AM
What size and dot colour for Mepps Black Fury hooks would you recommend for pike fishing in Northern Saskatchewan?

What size and colour for Mepps Sycolops would you recommend for pike fishing in Northern Saskatchewan?

Thinking of picking up a few of each and would love to hear what everyones favs are.

Bushleague
06-15-2020, 03:35 PM
For the spinners I've used sizes 3 through 5 for pike. The 5's are bigger and can be cast farther, a dressed #3 may look too small, and can be hard to cast into any sort of wind, but it can be fished quite shallow with a fairly slow retrieve which can make it dynamite some days. I take the treble hook off of my spinners and replace it with a large single, sometimes I run a twister tail or other plastic on the single hook. Personally I've never had as good of luck with the Black Fury as I have with silver or gold bladed Aglia's. If I want a bit more color I add a Mr Twister tail.

I've tried the Cyclops spoons multiple times and honestly I cant figure out why some people like them so much. Once in awhile I figure I must be missing something and go buy a couple more, and then regret it. They have a pretty narrow speed range, and anything outside of this range will make them spin and twist your line, plus I've never found them to be as effective as the assortment of Williams, Len Thompson, and Lucky Strike spoons that make up the bulk of my pike fishing lures.

Smoky buck
06-15-2020, 03:53 PM
Everyone has their preference and hey if it works go for it

Personally I don’t use mepps black furry’s for pike. I do use bucktails I make with a #9 blade

Spoons I have never been big on cyclops spoons. Just never produced well for me. Len Thompson’s, Williams, and blue fox matrix spoons have been much better if I am going spoons

My go to lures for pike are rubber swimbaits, big crankbaits, and spinner baits though

Bushleague
06-15-2020, 03:59 PM
Everyone has their preference and hey if it works go for it

Personally I don’t use mepps black furry’s for pike. I do use bucktails I make with a #9 blade

Spoons I have never been big on cyclops spoons. Just never produced well for me. Len Thompson’s, Williams, and blue fox matrix spoons have been much better if I am going spoons

My go to lures for pike are rubber swimbaits, big crankbaits, and spinner baits though

One capacity I've found the Black Fury to work well in, is tossing it at followers. In my experience you might get a pike to follow 3-4 times before it smartens up. If a good sized pike follows in a couple times, it seems like switching hooks will up the chances of provoking a strike. I think because the Black Fury is a little less obvious than most of what I throw at pike, it does seem to do a good job of getting them to make up their mind and hit it rather than follow... just my experience.

Smoky buck
06-15-2020, 04:19 PM
One capacity I've found the Black Fury to work well in, is tossing it at followers. In my experience you might get a pike to follow 3-4 times before it smartens up. If a good sized pike follows in a couple times, it seems like switching hooks will up the chances of provoking a strike. I think because the Black Fury is a little less obvious than most of what I throw at pike, it does seem to do a good job of getting them to make up their mind and hit it rather than follow... just my experience.

Just never had much luck with them myself so stopped buying them

Twitching a 4 inch soft swim bait has been my go to answer to the same problem or if I have on a lighter spoon on my line flutter it. That is one thing about fishing there is no lack of options and every fishermen adapts their go to style

In the end as long as we are getting results that’s all that matters