PDA

View Full Version : Calling lake

thorne
06-14-2020, 09:25 AM
just thought I would throw a big..."Hell Ya!" Out to Calling Lake...lol...that beautiful chunk of water provided a day of fishing yesterday that was just outstanding!

Headed up there yesterday for the morning and an early afternoon as the weather was comeing up from the south. Was accompanied by my Girlfriend, her daughter, and a long time friend and wow...what a day! Boated around 40 Wallies...probably more, but stopped counting, and over half were over 24".

For those of you who are not familiar with Calling....the Walleye are a bit different...so here is a tip. Forget everything you know about catching wallies, and think pike....sure dropping a minnow down on a drop off in 20+ feet of water will get fish, however casting spoons and rubber baits in the shallows in from the drop offs will provide a whole new experience. We mostly fished the 15-8' flats in from the drops and hit fish after fish casting big pike spoons and had lots of top water strikes and many double and tripple headers. These fish mean business. They were thick and very solid, Hitting hard and running fast...actually thinking about it, they acted much like bass would.

Anyway we had the best day of walleye fishing any of us have ever had, and just because my Girlfriend wanted to try for a big pike...really made me rethink the "Norms".

On the Pike note...can definitely understand the 0 retention. 1 pike all day fishing prime pike territory. Also interesting was my buddy used one lure all day. A Storm "Pike" about 4" long....about 80% of his casts resulted in a hit....they LOVED that thing! And with them hunting the shallows and smashing it so aggressively they are loving those young pike. I'm sure there are other factors, but that is not helping the matter. Seen lots of walleye sitting just under the surface as well...kinda like pike do sometimes, then they shoot to the bottom when you drift up on em...also kinda different from what I have experienced from walleye.

So If sitting at Volks Wagon Point with 20 other boats using a minnow sitting in 30' of water isn't doing it for ya....try something different and you just might have a whole new experience!

SNAPFisher
06-14-2020, 09:47 AM
Nice! Had a similar experience with my dad there casting floating perch raps and shallow running plugs into the shallows in June. Great fun and yes, they hit hard and fight. :)
Glad you had a good one.

Kurt505
06-14-2020, 11:53 AM
Where did you launch at?

Jigsalot
06-14-2020, 12:18 PM
Month of June is always good at calling. Jigging works great and even a slow troll on any plastic lure is crazy. Love that place.

thorne
06-14-2020, 03:45 PM
Where did you launch at?

Provincial Park, as mentioned in a previous thread they put a new pad down and took out the old one...very nice now!

Kurt505
06-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Provincial Park, as mentioned in a previous thread they put a new pad down and took out the old one...very nice now!

Nice 👍

barbless
06-14-2020, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a winner day for sure. Glad it all worked out for everyone. Hope your arms aren't too sore lol.

Whitetail200
06-14-2020, 07:36 PM
Heard a rumor that some indigenous people were blocking off the boat launches there ?

astepanuk
06-14-2020, 08:06 PM
Fished Calling on Saturday with the kids had an absolute blast also launched from the provincial park no issues at all. Showed up with only 2 trucks in the parking left with probably over 75. Fishing was fun landed a couple dandy’s biggest for the day was 69cm!!

Whitetail200
06-15-2020, 11:01 AM
Nice to hear about the provincial park launch , so rumor was probably just that a rumor . Looking at making a trip up there & like Astepanuk mentioned about 75 vehicles when they left which sounds about right that place can get busy & then its a gong show for launching & loading . Will pass on a weekend & go during the week . Tight lines to all .

Kurt505
06-15-2020, 11:34 AM
Fished Calling on Saturday with the kids had an absolute blast also launched from the provincial park no issues at all. Showed up with only 2 trucks in the parking left with probably over 75. Fishing was fun landed a couple dandy’s biggest for the day was 69cm!!

Good thing you let her go, I caught her on Sunday 😁

https://i.imgur.com/86Ev3EG.jpg

Caught a decent pike too

https://i.imgur.com/Mm56iUE.jpg

capper
06-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Anyone else notice the Walters are a litttle skinnier then normal? Seemed to me
The majority of fish I caught that were over 24” seemed skinny with a big head. Could be a male/female thing.... where I was fishing, I dunno. Just curious if anyone else noticed this?

MooseRiverTrapper
06-15-2020, 08:12 PM
10 years ago or more the walleyes at calling were all starving to death and 25” walleye would weigh 3lbs. Hopefully she stays healthy!!

Kurt505
06-15-2020, 08:17 PM
Anyone else notice the Walters are a litttle skinnier then normal? Seemed to me
The majority of fish I caught that were over 24” seemed skinny with a big head. Could be a male/female thing.... where I was fishing, I dunno. Just curious if anyone else noticed this?

It’s just their post spawn body. Give them a few weeks to bulk up.

Barry D
06-15-2020, 09:46 PM
Just a bit of history to clear the air of rumours.
About Feb 20 there was a road block right at the provincial park access on the main highway (813). They told me they would let me through because I had a cabin there, but would not let ice fisherman through the main highway, or park access, because they could then get into community by way of the lake.
About April 15th they moved the block north to the Calling Lake Dr. access intersection, but that only lasted a couple of weeks and then it was down for good. They said the threat of covid 19 was such that it was not needed anymore, but I think they just got tired of the whole thing.
Every time I came through they asked less questions, and didn't push back as much as they did in the beginning.
My cabin got broke into the day after I left the community the first time I went through the road block. With me telling them my cabin address, and them knowing I was leaving, was it just coincidence that I got broke into? I can't prove it, but I had another neighbour with the same story, so I stopped giving my last name and my address, but the damage was already done. In talking to the RCMP, they only would say they were working on it, but no more. It was 100% local M. D. people Maning the road block, not a single peace officer or RCMP on site, even though the RCMP stopped at the road block like everyone else.
The opinions will vary much over the why, and the legalities of it all, but that's the experience I had.
Next time it will be first name, cell number, and my licence plate number, and that's it.
OH, the fishing is as everyone has said. it's a great fishery, but beware of the wind on that lake all you boaters that are under 18' or so. That lake gives up a lot of fish, but it eats boats.

sportman
06-16-2020, 07:42 AM
It’s just their post spawn body. Give them a few weeks to bulk up.

I was up a couple of weeks ago and all the fish I caught were nice and chunky.

MooseRiverTrapper
06-16-2020, 09:29 PM
Just a bit of history to clear the air of rumours.
About Feb 20 there was a road block right at the provincial park access on the main highway (813). They told me they would let me through because I had a cabin there, but would not let ice fisherman through the main highway, or park access, because they could then get into community by way of the lake.
About April 15th they moved the block north to the Calling Lake Dr. access intersection, but that only lasted a couple of weeks and then it was down for good. They said the threat of covid 19 was such that it was not needed anymore, but I think they just got tired of the whole thing.
Every time I came through they asked less questions, and didn't push back as much as they did in the beginning.
My cabin got broke into the day after I left the community the first time I went through the road block. With me telling them my cabin address, and them knowing I was leaving, was it just coincidence that I got broke into? I can't prove it, but I had another neighbour with the same story, so I stopped giving my last name and my address, but the damage was already done. In talking to the RCMP, they only would say they were working on it, but no more. It was 100% local M. D. people Maning the road block, not a single peace officer or RCMP on site, even though the RCMP stopped at the road block like everyone else.
The opinions will vary much over the why, and the legalities of it all, but that's the experience I had.
Next time it will be first name, cell number, and my licence plate number, and that's it.
OH, the fishing is as everyone has said. it's a great fishery, but beware of the wind on that lake all you boaters that are under 18' or so. That lake gives up a lot of fish, but it eats boats.

Feb 20 is pre covid... why the road block?

stubblejumper01
06-17-2020, 07:54 AM
Feb 20 is pre covid... why the road block?

Wasn't that about the time those illegal railway blockades were going on?

calvin
06-18-2020, 07:31 AM
[QUOTE=MooseRiverTrapper;4188052]Feb 20 is pre covid... why the road block?[/

:shark:

CptnBlues63
06-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Calling is hot right now for walleye so it pretty much doesn't matter what you use for a hook, they'll bite it. I've found them in everything from 7' to 20'

My friend came up from Saskatoon last Wed and we fished Thur-Sun every morning and caught tons. Our biggest (he caught it) was 77 cm. My biggest was 68 cm. We caught lots in excess of 60 cm's and very few under 45.

The fish are fighting aggressively (they weren't on Friday June 5th when I went out the first time) and a lot of fun. They're looking real healthy!