PDA

View Full Version : Winifred Lake - Island Camping

JBFranklin
06-14-2020, 09:44 AM
Has anyone camped on the islands on the lake? I guess both Banana and Wally islands have sites. Anyone know what the sites are like. Pretty sparse I bet. I called Sherry at WL Outfitters last night. An absolute gem of a person to talk to, very accommodating. Lodge is pretty full for summer but did say that we could launch and go camp at one of the islands (launch and parking fees apply, which is fine).

Plan b would be tenting at Christina or Grist. Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bezzola
06-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Have you tried paul on the other side of the lake

Douglas N
06-14-2020, 12:46 PM
There’s 5 groups on Banana Island right now and 1 group on the island to the north. They all appeared to be enjoying themselves!

I was told by a coworker that they camped on Banana once and had to leave because there are so many mice.

I was told yesterday when I was down there that dry firewood can be a challenge. Worst comes to worst, there’s lots of wood inland.

marky_mark
06-14-2020, 12:52 PM
There’s 5 groups on Banana Island right now and 1 group on the island to the north. They all appeared to be enjoying themselves!

I was told by a coworker that they camped on Banana once and had to leave because there are so many mice.

I was told yesterday when I was down there that dry firewood can be a challenge. Worst comes to worst, there’s lots of wood inland.

I heard there is tons of mice on there too

JBFranklin
06-14-2020, 06:59 PM
Have you tried paul on the other side of the lake

Aren't Paul and sherry together at Outfitters?

JBFranklin
06-14-2020, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up? Do you know how long of a ride it is to Banana? Thats the larger one right?

Douglas N
06-14-2020, 07:08 PM
It’s about 3 kms from Paul’s to Banana Island. It’s relatively close.

Yes, it’s the biggest island on Winefred.

JBFranklin
06-15-2020, 07:52 AM
It’s about 3 kms from Paul’s to Banana Island. It’s relatively close.

Yes, it’s the biggest island on Winefred.

Thank you.

swampy45
06-15-2020, 10:48 AM
Mice are horrible on Banana Island. Chew holes in all your stuff, eat your food, etc. And bring your own wood if you plan to have a fire. Whatever you find out there does NOT burn. Wally/Ant Island is full of ants. Can be a pain to deal with.

Fishing has been off to a slow start this year.

JBFranklin
06-15-2020, 12:25 PM
Mice are horrible on Banana Island. Chew holes in all your stuff, eat your food, etc. And bring your own wood if you plan to have a fire. Whatever you find out there does NOT burn. Wally/Ant Island is full of ants. Can be a pain to deal with.

Fishing has been off to a slow start this year.

Geez... sounds bad. People are still camping there though.

guru fisher
06-16-2020, 12:00 PM
Mice since when do they stop a guy from going camping ? LOL

bigrfish
06-16-2020, 01:16 PM
Do they still have the Tent camp on the Sand river? You might want to check into that as well. That became our go to spot.

JBFranklin
06-17-2020, 09:16 AM
Mice since when do they stop a guy from going camping ? LOL

True.

JBFranklin
06-17-2020, 10:05 AM
Do they still have the Tent camp on the Sand river? You might want to check into that as well. That became our go to spot.

Thanks for the tip. Will research that for sure.

JBFranklin
06-17-2020, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the tip. Will research that for sure.

So for the life of me, I cant find on any map were the Sand enters Winefred. Do you know whereabouts on the lake it was? You obviously just parked at the lodge and then boated to the site?

Jamie
06-17-2020, 12:19 PM
So for the life of me, I cant find on any map were the Sand enters Winefred. Do you know whereabouts on the lake it was? You obviously just parked at the lodge and then boated to the site?

If we are talking about the same place, it is 2 bays north of the lodge.

Jamie
06-17-2020, 12:21 PM
Does anyone know who owns the cabin straight across from the lodge in the area called white cliff and one bay south of eagle bay? (I hope I have the names right)

dustinjoels
06-17-2020, 12:25 PM

The price for the sand River camp has went up from $100/night to $325/night since the new owners bought winefred lake lodge. To be fair, that includes boat rental, but it’s $325/night regardless if you have your own boat or not. Terrible deal if you have your own boat.

dustinjoels
06-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know who owns the cabin straight across from the lodge in the area called white cliff and one bay south of eagle bay? (I hope I have the names right)

It’s another trapper. Not for rent.

dustinjoels
06-17-2020, 12:30 PM
If we are talking about the same place, it is 2 bays north of the lodge.

Pretty much halfway between Paul’s and winefred lake lodge. Switch to google maps satellite mode and it’s very easy to see the river.

JBFranklin
06-17-2020, 02:12 PM
Pretty much halfway between Paul’s and winefred lake lodge. Switch to google maps satellite mode and it’s very easy to see the river.

ah got it. Thanks.