PDA

View Full Version : What are you using for walleye fishing line

-JR-
06-14-2020, 10:51 AM
So its time to change fishing line for the new season for walleye jigging.
Was going with either 8 or 10 Lb mono .

What brand are you using for walleye jigging ?
Any thing new on the market this year ?

jwelds191
06-14-2020, 11:00 AM
So its time to change fishing line for the new season for walleye jigging.
Was going with either 8 or 10 Lb mono .

What brand are you using for walleye jigging ?
Any thing new on the market this year ?

Don't know about new line on the market, I've been running off the same spool for a good 4 or 5 years now.

Sufix 10lb braided line, then 6 or 8 lb fluorocarbon leader about 5' long. The rig walleye jigging dreams are made of.

walleyechaser
06-14-2020, 11:19 AM
10lb power pro and 10 lb seaguar fluoro leader. Dont really need anything new as it works well.

If there is a lot of pike or sharp rocks then bump the leader up to 20lb

-JR-
06-14-2020, 11:25 AM
i just find braided line likes to twist as i just tie on directly to the jig head.

walleyechaser
06-14-2020, 11:32 AM
i just find braided line likes to twist as i just tie on directly to the jig head.

The fluoro leader would help.

pinelakeperch
06-14-2020, 01:40 PM
Are you guys tying your fluoro directly to the braid or using a swivel?

walleyechaser
06-14-2020, 01:47 PM

Depends on the situation. If you want no twist use a small swivel, when ripping cranks or shiver minnows etc. If vertical jigging I use fg knot braid to fluoro.

WayneChristie
06-14-2020, 02:56 PM
I like to do things differently :bad_boys_20: got all my big eyes on heavy braid, except a couple. When I fly fish for them I just use 8 or 9 feet of 20 pound fluoro leader tied to the fly line and tie my fly to that. then again I get most after dark or in mud so visibility doesnt matter as much, at least for me.

Iceman80
06-14-2020, 03:06 PM
Don't know about new line on the market, I've been running off the same spool for a good 4 or 5 years now.

Sufix 10lb braided line, then 6 or 8 lb fluorocarbon leader about 5' long. The rig walleye jigging dreams are made of.

X2.....Suffix 832-10lbs moss green braid, barrel swivel and fluro leader. I like to spool a couple wraps of mono then tie on braid as this keeps the braid from slipping on your spool. Braid will detect the slightest bites, you'll never change to anything else for jig fishing walleyes.

-JR-
06-14-2020, 03:46 PM
X2.....Suffix 832-10lbs moss green braid, barrel swivel and fluro leader. I like to spool a couple wraps of mono then tie on braid as this keeps the braid from slipping on your spool. Braid will detect the slightest bites, you'll never change to anything else for jig fishing walleyes.

i switch from braid back to mono ,because i got to much line twist.
Since i switched i get more hits than the other guys in my boat .
I have tried Fluoro line leader, I just did not like the not passing threw the guides as it was 6 ft long.

If i am going to use fluoro line , why not just use mono.
no knots ,no swivels and no twist . just keep it simple.

Going to try 8 lb mono on my ultra light rod this year.

thorne
06-14-2020, 03:51 PM
Use Power Pro for everything! Great line for any use, just adjust the weight for the rod and Fish On!!

Kings
06-14-2020, 04:08 PM
I use Powerpro super 8 slick line for all my reels. 15,20,30 &40lb. Never had a problem with twisting. I will never go back to mono again.
Also I use fluorocarbon leader line about 3ft long in various # depending on the target fish. I Don't tie directly to the braid and use snap swivel for easy change.

npauls
06-15-2020, 08:08 AM
i switch from braid back to mono ,because i got to much line twist.
Since i switched i get more hits than the other guys in my boat .
I have tried Fluoro line leader, I just did not like the not passing threw the guides as it was 6 ft long.

If i am going to use fluoro line , why not just use mono.
no knots ,no swivels and no twist . just keep it simple.

Going to try 8 lb mono on my ultra light rod this year.

Mono and fluoro are 2 different beasts.

Mono isnt "invisible" in the water. It stretches a lot more. Floats. And isnt very abrasion resistant.

Fluoro is opposite of everything just mentioned.

The braid/ tiny swivel/ fluoro/ jig is very sensitive, strong, and invisible to the fish. You also don't have to worry as much about sun breaking down line strength over time.

Dom4
06-15-2020, 08:27 AM
Mono and fluoro are 2 different beasts.

Mono isnt "invisible" in the water. It stretches a lot more. Floats. And isnt very abrasion resistant.

Fluoro is opposite of everything just mentioned.

The braid/ tiny swivel/ fluoro/ jig is very sensitive, strong, and invisible to the fish. You also don't have to worry as much about sun breaking down line strength over time.

The bottom line of the poster above is the same setup as I use however i just tie both lines together without a swivel which is purely personal preference. I like it because of how sensitive it is however if there is any negative sometime if the walleye is hooked in the side of its mouth the braid with no stretch can pull its self out but other than that I love that setup.

jwelds191
06-15-2020, 09:29 AM

For me, I 100% always use a swivel. It counters the line twist you would otherwise have.

calvin
06-15-2020, 09:41 AM
I am spooling up a new reel and bought the 20lb power pro, I do have some 832 sufix flouro for ice fishing and may use that for leader material. But I use the fastach connectors with a swivel for a fair while and quite like them. Not sure what other folks opinions on them.

pinelakeperch
06-15-2020, 01:29 PM
For me, I 100% always use a swivel. It counters the line twist you would otherwise have.

What size swivels do you use? I had some that I liked, but can't remember what size they were. Thanks :)

Talking moose
06-15-2020, 03:15 PM
For my strictly jigging rod I use 8lb power pro slick, tied to a tiny swivel, and finished off with about 4 feet of 8lb flouro.

-JR-
06-15-2020, 05:31 PM
Just installed some Power pro 10 lb. as cabela's was all out of 8 lb. mono.
Even went to Canadian tire ,the shelf life what they were selling was 2017 .
So i tied a knot in it and it broke with 1 lb of pull. told them to take it off the shelf
Will try it out the braid this weekend jigging.

trigger7mm
06-15-2020, 06:38 PM
I use 10 lb. power pro with about a 6’ fluorocarbon leader. Just tie a double uni knot, trim the tag ends, and apply a drop of super glue to the knot. Super strong, and passes through your rod guides without you ever noticing it. I’ve broken the line before the knot many times.

AK47
06-16-2020, 01:45 PM
15 lb Power Pro and fluoro leader. There is always pike around so it works great for both. I would never go back to mono after using braided line for walleye... sensitivity is just so much better then mono.

MooseRiverTrapper
06-16-2020, 04:33 PM
Has anyone broke a fish off with 10lb PP? I’ve yet to have it fail. 10lb pp, Alberto knot with dab of zap-a-gap, 8lb flouro.

kollenberger
06-16-2020, 05:43 PM
Am I the only one who uses a steal leader still? I have never had an issue with it. Very rarely do I catch any less fish due to it. Most lakes and river with eyes in them usually contain pike too. I'm sure I gonna get roasted over this but explain to me why this shouldn't work? I have never owned the fluro leader I guess I would be willing to try it but if it's not broke why fix it? I got big shoulders I can handle constructive criticism.

Coiloil37
06-16-2020, 06:36 PM
From my experience wire and heavy line reduce the number of fish your going to catch. You probably still catch fish but you would catch more with lighter line and a little more finesse. For Alberta I used 2lb diameter suffix 832 or 6lb mono. I haven’t used wire since the 80’s and I can’t remember the last time I broke the line on a fish or had a pike cut me off. I suspect the last time it happened was 20 plus years ago.

Saltwater I still almost never use wire. If I do I’m targeting Spanish mackerel or wahoo and I’m high speed trolling (15-20 knots) where I don’t expect they’ll have much time to look at the presentation. I know I still catch less fish with single strand wire on but sometimes it’s worth it. I occasionally run wire inside a gar or split tailed mullet where it’s completely hidden but again the fish I’m targeting have the dentures to cut 300lb mono like butter and tend to slash baits in half when they strike.

The stretch of mono is worth it in most situations big fish are involved. I always run about 50m of mono on all of my trolling rigs for the stretch and after a few good fish (marlin, tuna, big wahoo, etc) when the stretch is gone I change the top shot out for fresh mono. Even in Alberta I would run a mono top shot on my down rigging rods for the stretch and most of my casting rods were spooled with mono. Jigging rods were usually braid for the sensitivity with a short leader on the end.

The Fisherman Guy
06-16-2020, 10:17 PM
Berkley x9 Braid with Pro Grade 100% fluorocarbon leader connected via double uni knot. If I want a swivel to reduce line twist, I'll use a snap swivel.

x5 & x9 beats powerpro hands down; less fraying, less color change and more abrasion resistant.

jwelds191
06-17-2020, 10:01 AM
What size swivels do you use? I had some that I liked, but can't remember what size they were. Thanks :)

Errr, good question sir! I am not sure on the size (my barrel swivels are out of original box and tucked away in a tackle box compartment). I will say, the size of the swivel isn't the biggest deal; I'd say mine are "medium" size... they fit through the last guide on my rod easily, if that tells you anything.

Haven't had one break on me yet. Don't go too small either, and because it will be 5 or 6' up your line, you don't need to worry about fish seeing it.

That last sentence made me remember too, I use 100% exclusively black barrel swivels. I believe the make is 'Daniels'?

Good luck sir.

Big Racks
06-17-2020, 10:21 AM
I went with a 15 lb power pro, and 8 lb Seaguar fluoro.

My only complaint with the braid is the very reason I use it tbh, it's a bugger to try and cut or trim tag ends, etc... Normal snips don't work worth a darn and just fray the line, and my knife that IS sharp enough is hard to manage at small tag ends.

pinelakeperch
06-17-2020, 11:13 AM
Errr, good question sir! I am not sure on the size (my barrel swivels are out of original box and tucked away in a tackle box compartment). I will say, the size of the swivel isn't the biggest deal; I'd say mine are "medium" size... they fit through the last guide on my rod easily, if that tells you anything.

Haven't had one break on me yet. Don't go too small either, and because it will be 5 or 6' up your line, you don't need to worry about fish seeing it.

That last sentence made me remember too, I use 100% exclusively black barrel swivels. I believe the make is 'Daniels'?

Good luck sir.

Thanks for getting back to me! I'll have to purchase mine in store to ensure that they're small enough to go through the last guide. I was wanting to order online through Cabela's but wasn't sure what size to select.

I went with a 15 lb power pro, and 8 lb Seaguar fluoro.

My only complaint with the braid is the very reason I use it tbh, it's a bugger to try and cut or trim tag ends, etc... Normal snips don't work worth a darn and just fray the line, and my knife that IS sharp enough is hard to manage at small tag ends.

A good pair of braid-specific scissors go a long way.

Big Racks
06-17-2020, 11:19 AM
Thanks for getting back to me! I'll have to purchase mine in store to ensure that they're small enough to go through the last guide. I was wanting to order online through Cabela's but wasn't sure what size to select.

A good pair of braid-specific scissors go a long way.

Well, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for that, sometimes the simplest questions just don't get asked, ha. Sounds like a good excuse to pop into TFH.

astepanuk
06-25-2020, 11:02 AM
Looking at down grading from my Typical PP 20Lb to a 10Lb before I go back to PP. Was thinking about going with Berkley X5 10lb anyone have any experience with it.

Thanks