PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing questions

50BMG
06-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Splitbrow
06-05-2007, 09:55 PM
1. Since I was little
2. Dont try and look like a Cabela's model, some advice, "Keep it simple stupid and catch more fish" - The art of flyfishing is presentation; if you can't put the fly where you want then your doing something wrong. Guys will attest, sometimes a placement change of a few inches makes the difference.
3. There is a time and place for both - I wouldn't stop doing either. There are things you can do with one that you can't do with the other... my spin pack rod always stays close at hand and is used when the opportunity calls for it.

Split...

50BMG
06-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Splitbrow
06-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Oh, and learn how to tie a bastardized nail knot, it will save you.

Pikebreath
06-05-2007, 10:53 PM
#1 I caught my first fish on the long rod and fly in 1969.

#2 Well yes and no, you'll have to show persistance and a willingness to leave your spin gear at home for awhile. If you keep reverting back to what is familar just to catch a fish, you may find the fly rod starts getting left at home instead. Consistent, successful flyfishing has it own learning curve and challenges the angler's skills more so than conventional gear. Some take to it easily, others need more practice. Best advice is find a mentor and / or take lessons on fly casting, fly fishing techniques and fly tying!!! Why fly tying? Well, learning to tie flies really does complete the circle, it is way cool catching fish on your own creations and you will learn more about entomology and fish diets when you start making your own imitations to match the critters fish happen to eat.

#3 There is a T-shirt thats says- "Flyfishing is as much fun as a man can have,,,, Standing up!!!!" Enuff said!:D

TreeGuy
06-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey 50, I grew up about 1000 yards from an Atlantic Salmon stream in NS! The first fish I ever caught on a fly was a 12lb AS when I was 13 years old. It was better than sex! Probably because I had never had sex yet, but that is irrelevant....I think:love: ?lol.

It was hard because I only had me to teach ME. Poor teacher=poor student. It took a long time, but when I tried something different one day using a nymph and caught a nice brookie, something clicked! I never looked back at the spincast setup........until I met the Bow. lol

I will use whatever catches me fish. However, the fly rod is by far the best way to do it unless you are chasing Lakers in over 100' of water.......................:(

Tree

Versatile
06-06-2007, 01:15 AM
#1. 3 years now

#2. Wasn't hard. I taught myself in the school field. Once I had casting down I grabbed a peice of rope and made a circle. Once I could cast and land the tip into that everytime I made the circle smaller. Also practiced casting into and sideways of the wind.

#3. Like Splitbrow I always have a spin rod with me. You never know when the fish are not biting and you need to try another approach. My flyrod is always out of the truck before my cast rod when I am out for trout but once I buy a bigger rod I will try it for pike.

-NDN-
06-06-2007, 04:30 AM
1. How long you been doing it?approx. 14 years on and off, but was 18 years ago when i had my first flyrod, cut my teeth on NSR Goldeye
2. Was it as hard as it looks to learn and get into?started by chuckin' and duckin', improved with time
3. After you learn to fly fish, do you care to go back to casting/trolling/jigging or would you just rather fly?always, got to keep your options open for year round fishing.

-NDN-
06-06-2007, 04:37 AM
oops, please delete double post

50BMG
06-06-2007, 08:26 AM

Versatile
06-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Are you going to be doing more lake or river fishing? I fish alot of small river and creeks so I bought a 7' 8" 4wt. St. Croix Launch off a guy here on AO. I love it its small so easy to cast in confined areas and I have landed some good size fish one it (Nicholas Sheran Pike even). Like I said for lakes where the bigger trout reside, pike, and bull trout I will probally look at a 9' 8wt.

Either was you go I would go much bigger than a 5wt for rainbows but you need an 8wt for bulls and pike.

50BMG
06-06-2007, 10:26 AM

-NDN-
06-06-2007, 01:34 PM
6 wt should do you just fine, it will allow you to cast a variety of sizes in dry flies, nymphs and streamers. But in time adding rods in different weights later on will only make it easier on you for fishing different types of waters. Think of it as a gun cabinet, with a bunch of calibers each having their own purpose.

One big thing, dont cheap out on the actual fly line. high priced lines are worth every penny, and if your just starting out, use a weight forward line. So you'd look for a WF6F. And most reels you can buy a spare spool for them, so in the future you might want to add a sink tip or full sink line to get streamers down to the bottom of streams or lakes.

I know 2 people that have a 6 wt only for their main rod/reel, and they are both happy with them.:)

Versatile
06-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Yup I agree with NDN 6wt is nice but a 5 wt will do you just as good and its a lighter rod so a little more sensitive. Totally up to you I am sure you will do fine with either of them.

If you are doing alot of smaller streams look into a smaller rod like mine try casting one compaerd to a longer rod. The longer rod will allow you to cast farther but I can still get good distance with my 7'8.

cohod
06-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Q1 20yrs +
Q2 been so long I can’t remember:)
Q3 rarely fish any thing else but the fly. From salmon to pike and most everything in-between.
Here in Alberta a 6wt is a good bet if it gets a bit breezy you still have a chance to push through the wind.
Whatever rod you chose load the real with 1 heaver line. IE. If you get a 6wt load it with a 7wt line it will be easer for you to cast. Fly-fishing can be frustrating at first but as you get the hang of it will become a lot more enjoyable.

cohod

50BMG
06-07-2007, 02:59 PM

robert
06-07-2007, 10:36 PM
started by chuckin' and duckin', improved with time

LOL, what a way to put it, that's where i'm at now :lol: :lol:

TreeGuy
06-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey 50, one little stupid tip. When you first get rolling, wear a hat with a 360 degree brim. Flys sometimes have a funny way of finding you ears when you are new, ouch! Never happened to ME though......:scared: Yeah....never!

Tree

-NDN-
06-08-2007, 03:56 AM
Hey 50, one little stupid tip. When you first get rolling, wear a hat with a 360 degree brim. Flys sometimes have a funny way of finding you ears when you are new, ouch! Never happened to ME though......:scared: Yeah....never!

Tree

keep your rod out and at a bit of a angle away from you, 10 and 2, bend at the wrist, keep your elbow still, let the loop unroll a fair bit, feel the rod load, snap, 1, 2 snap, 1, 2 snap, 1, 2... you'll gain your own rhythm with practice, the rhythm changes with different lengths of line out in the cast, and soon be casting a 5 weight 20 feet in a head on wind with different casting techniques. there is lots of tricks to learn and sometimes it helps to go out with someone who knows a few things. :) easier shown than read IMHO

Splitbrow
06-08-2007, 03:11 PM
For keeping you elbow still, put a roll of packing tape between your elbow and the side of your body. Now try and practice casting and loading your rod. (*Instead of using a hook when your out on the line use a small piece of foam (like from an ear plug) that is visible so you know if you hit the mark.) This will give you a chance to feel how the rod should load. Hard to feel it if your whole arm is trying to to the work. Your forearm and wrist should work together, just dont drop the roll of tape (or equivalent).

Quick piece of advice... remember to "shoot" your line when you lay it down. What I mean by this is you should have line in your free hand that you can "shoot" through your rod when you make your cast. What this does is slow down the forward momentum of the line and allows for a delicate presentation. If you didn't do this, your line would slap the water.

happy fishing,
Split..

PS NDN, it is "around" hinton somewhere. Let me know if you will be out that way this summer and maybe we could meet up.

-NDN-
06-08-2007, 03:53 PM
sounds good, ill be down there in july for a trip and a couple end of august.:)

good advice on the casting, but im a fan of cocking the wrist instead of using the whole forearm, unless im using a heavier weight of rod.