PDA

View Full Version : Hanmore Lake

King Midas
08-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Just curious, has anyone actually caught anything decent out of Hanmore Lake? Thanks

kreator
08-03-2009, 07:54 PM
My grandfather and uncle were there a couple weeks ago and said they caught tons and tons of jacks...the unfortunate part was only one of them was of keeper size.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-04-2009, 12:17 AM
I was there in June and at the beginning of July caught a few small ones but one pig , id suggest over 20 pounds . pretty hard to take self pictures when trying to release big momma. Also had luck using top water baits.

Cal
08-04-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm a sceptic BBJ, and you of all people cannot fault me for this. Ive seen you get nit pickity even when guys have pictures of their big pike. The fishing guide says theres big fish in there so they must be in there. Every time I've been there my experience has been much like kreator described.

Dark
08-04-2009, 08:24 AM
I have caught 2 over 25 lbs out of the lake. Remember big fish you need big bait.

kreator
08-04-2009, 09:04 AM
When was that, Dark?

King Midas
08-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I have caught 2 over 25 lbs out of the lake. Remember big fish you need big bait.

What did you use for bait?

Dark
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
The largest herring you can get, not from the tackle shops their not big enough, from the fish market.12 to 14"
Haven't fished Hanmore for at least 15 years, but both these fish were the only bites we had all day they were caught 2 weeks apart. I am sure there are still big fish in that lake.

Safety D
08-04-2009, 09:05 PM
More produces about 1 big pike every 3 years for me. It has been so bad with flood ice the last few years I could not fish it ?? i hope i can get on er this winter. was out there end of june and caught tons of little guys !!!

buckmaster
08-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I fish this lake often in the winter and i always see small very skinny jacks on the camera.I spoke with a bioligist in february and she said that they were going to do a study on the lake this summer and find out why the jacks are so small.My main concern with her was that me and fisherpotch must have drilled about 30 holes and did not see any whitefish or freshwater shrimp for some reason.I am still waiting to hear from the bioligist and see what she says.

Izumi
08-05-2009, 09:27 AM
I fish this lake often in the winter and i always see small very skinny jacks on the camera.I spoke with a bioligist in february and she said that they were going to do a study on the lake this summer and find out why the jacks are so small.My main concern with her was that me and fisherpotch must have drilled about 30 holes and did not see any whitefish or freshwater shrimp for some reason.I am still waiting to hear from the bioligist and see what she says.

I was stopped by a CO in the winter that also mentioned they were studying the lake to try to figure out if something was wrong.

sdimedru
08-17-2009, 11:02 AM
although the lake is pretty small.... i hear it's quite deep in the center.... up to 90ft?

correct me if I'm wrong though.

I'm heading out there next weekend at the municipal campground, going to try the weed beds for some Jackfish, any pointers?

SCRUB
08-18-2009, 09:18 AM
although the lake is pretty small.... i hear it's quite deep in the center.... up to 90ft?

correct me if I'm wrong though.

I'm heading out there next weekend at the municipal campground, going to try the weed beds for some Jackfish, any pointers?

The lake is very deep it is in the 75-90ft range, i have fished there many times and haven't been very successful, But if you go across hiway 855 to island lake the fishing there is always good, and if your lucky you might even hook a small mouth bass, yes they are still in the lake, i caught one 2yrs ago. It is only 5 min drive from Hanmore lake.

sdimedru
08-31-2009, 01:36 PM
well I was out camping this past weekend @ Hanmore; very hot, spent a couple mornings/evenings around the shores/weed beds...

-quite a few fish biting, managed to land 9 jackfish (2 decent ones, the rest were smallish, and only 2 were the skinny minnies I was hearing about)

Love that lake though, water was so clear! (clear enough to find my brand new rod/reel I dropped 15 ft down from the pontoon boat - doh!)

Safety D
08-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Ya its a great little lake and its not dead !!!

FishBrain
08-31-2009, 02:21 PM
only seen some Pike in there. We have yet to be skunked in that lake (if I bring my 7 year old)
nothing worth keeping tho.
My 7y/o lands pike everytime

JBALL
09-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Been going to Hanmore for about ten years. all the pick are small hardly ever get one big enough to keep but the action is steady. head out to the bay on the northeast side of lake. go about 100 ft out from the beaver dam and you will catch pike steady all day. nothing big but it's great for the kids

buckmaster
09-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I just recieved a e-mail from a bioligist and said they did a couple of test nets.There were two nets set for 24hrs;one net had no fish in it as it may have been set to deep.Net #2 had ; 8 small whitefish with the biggest one measuring 29cm;11 pike; 41 perch; and 383 spottail shiners.This is the info she e-mailed me and said that she wants to conduct a further study to determine the low population of whitefish.

sdimedru
09-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I just recieved a e-mail from a bioligist and said they did a couple of test nets.There were two nets set for 24hrs;one net had no fish in it as it may have been set to deep.Net #2 had ; 8 small whitefish with the biggest one measuring 29cm;11 pike; 41 perch; and 383 spottail shiners.This is the info she e-mailed me and said that she wants to conduct a further study to determine the low population of whitefish.

thanks for that info, keep us up to date...

Family used to tell me how popular the lake was for whitefish

fishunter77
09-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Hanmore did have huge whitefish 10 years ago. Something happened to them in last 10 years. I have only seen a few in the last 2 years while ice fishing. They were very small.

Not sure what happened to the large whites?

Thanks for the information about the test nets.

Wulfespirit
09-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Last time I was there I was about 10 years old and remember catching a fair amount of pike. I don't remember too much about the lake. Is it fairly deep? Does it get pretty green in the summer? All it takes is a couple of bad summerkills to put a big hurt on the whites.

buckmaster
09-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Last time I was there I was about 10 years old and remember catching a fair amount of pike. I don't remember too much about the lake. Is it fairly deep? Does it get pretty green in the summer? All it takes is a couple of bad summerkills to put a big hurt on the whites.

The lake is up to 80ft deep and stays clear all year.The bioligist said that they were going to do a further study and hopefully get some results soon.The lake used to have decent jacks and jumbo whites in it though!

buckmaster
01-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I just got a e-mail back from the bioligist and she said that there were no further tests done in the fall.She said that they want to wait till march to do a oxygen level test concerning the popualation mainly of whitefish in the lake..