PDA

View Full Version : personal best Monday

WayneChristie
08-03-2009, 08:23 PM
and here I could have been working :D decided to try the reservoir where I caught my personal best number of pike, 11. The weather was iffy, cloudy and looking like rain. Eventually the clouds parted, not a breath of wind, and the day just got better. Started casting my remodelled Wildeyes to see if the fish like my frankenstein lures. Fish after fish, got 7 or 8 on the remodels, so I was happy. The weeds are pretty high, so I dug out a weedless red and white, started casting over the edge of the weedlines and the pike were like kids on candy. ended up hooking and landing 14 from the canoe from morning til this afternoon when the weather changed again. The thunderstorms moved in, no lightning at first, just a couple showers. If you know me, a bit of rain aint squat when the fish are biting. The pike turned on like a 16 year old in a bordello, within 2 hours I had upped my total for the day to !!!!32!!!!! Pike!!!! Still grinning like the day I lost my ..... well you know. What an incredible day it was!!! ever feel your heart pound when a nice pike leaps out of the water to smash your lure on the surface? Imagine my ticker when THREE attacked my lure at the same time, I almost had palpitations!!! for a while every single cast brought a hit, even if they missed they or another one would hit again and again until one was hooked. I dont know what the end total would have been if the lightning hadnt started hitting across the lake, decided even I wasnt that crazy, dont think my canoe is lightning proof . All I can say is :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D what a day!!!!!!!! and Im going to try and up my record Thursday, have a 4 day weekend coming now. YeeHawww
will post a link to the pics soon as they are done.
http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/

bigrfish
08-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I love hearing about good pike days...sounds like you had a blast.I've had a few of those days and I know how fun it can be.
Cheers...Good luck on the next outing

WayneChristie
08-03-2009, 08:42 PM
thanks, I have a feeling I wont be able to move my arm tomorrow, its already stiffening up, but who cares :D:D:D never seen pike jump so high, a couple as high as my head in the canoe.

Lambo
08-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Wow! I've never had a day like that with pike, only with walleye. Good work!

WayneChristie
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Im still grinning!!!!! even more fun than my 175 eyes at PCR!!!! my wrist hurts so good!:D:D:D

floppychicken
08-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Im still grinning!!!!! even more fun than my 175 eyes at PCR!!!! my wrist hurts so good!:D:D:D

Great Photos there Wayne !

I love it when when PIKE breach the surface.... Where ever that reservoir is, I'd be using some of those floating FROGS and other top-water lures ! Have someone else on the end of that CAMERA and I bet you'd get some WICKED photos then...:D

Cheers,

/FC...

flygirrl
08-03-2009, 09:39 PM
wayne, I was impressed and glad to see you had so much fun. The telling of the tail is also impressive, it was like a good read and the pictures were fun to look at. Im almost but not embarrased to say I only caught 4 rainbows and 2 suckers. I havn't caught suckers since I left N.B. So it was quite funny to catch something I havnt seen for a long time. Im just very glad Alberta dosnt have catfish and eels. What a pain they are yuck.

WayneChristie
08-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Great Photos there Wayne !

I love it when when PIKE breach the surface.... Where ever that reservoir is, I'd be using some of those floating FROGS and other top-water lures ! Have someone else on the end of that CAMERA and I bet you'd get some WICKED photos then...:D

Cheers,

/FC...

I was trying to get some hits on my floating rapala, first time the wind moved me just as one hit it. the second time a pike took it before I could even focus the camera. what a ball. that reservoir is only 15 minutes from home. I love this country

jts1
08-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey man great job. You got some good shots there. LOL is your wife ever going to see you again. I will take you up on a trip down there sometime soon.

calgarygringo
08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Can we launch the boat in there? Matbe we can get a few of us in your honey hole.....

WayneChristie
08-04-2009, 06:31 AM
there s a sand launch, I dont know how easy it would be to get back out. But you dont need a big boat, pontoon or canoe would work good. Or you can wade and fish, its shallow way out.

BobLoblaw
08-04-2009, 08:33 AM
I love the shot of the pike trying to make the letter 'O' with his body in mid-air.
Great story & pics, Wayne!
Later,
Steve

WayneChristie
08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I dont understand the people who put down pike because they dont fight, just like pulling in a log, etc. the last few years I have never seen so many fish leaping out of the water, or pulling like a freight train! even had one yesterday jump as high as my head, I was thinking good thing it was going the other way! and that was in warm water too! If people used gear to match the fish size and type any fish would put up a good fight! To me anyways thats the whole point of fishing, I dont keep many to eat, I am just out to enjoy the sport!

DarkAisling
08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Great pics! That first one scares me :scared:

JohninAB
08-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Awesome pics and a great day fishing! Congrats.

madatter
08-04-2009, 03:47 PM
If that's the lake I'm thinkin of(does it have 12 in the name?)we had our best day of fishing ever there,over 200 pike in a day between 2 of us ice fishin.
It's been a few years tho since I've fished it.

flygirrl
08-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I dont understand the people who put down pike because they dont fight, just like pulling in a log, etc. the last few years I have never seen so many fish leaping out of the water, or pulling like a freight train! even had one yesterday jump as high as my head, I was thinking good thing it was going the other way! and that was in warm water too! If people used gear to match the fish size and type any fish would put up a good fight! To me anyways thats the whole point of fishing, I dont keep many to eat, I am just out to enjoy the sport!

I agree so much with this statement wayne. To many times you see people with rods and reels that just dont line up for the type of fishing they are doing. Most people dont want to catch and release so they tend to over arm themselves with their rod. I dont have a problem with keeping fish but if I lose some because my gear is light so be it, I had a blast and knew I had a fish on. I have the same experience with pike as you, they jump, fight and I just have a ball with them and I use light tackle also. One thing I do do is use non abrasion florocabon leader for pike as I find a wire leader dosnt work a well. Keep up the good fight and hope we will get together for a fish day.......:wave:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Them are some awesome pictures you got there . I like that one esspecially of the Pike jumpin and you got it titled , Pike or Tarpon . Thats awesome . Keep up the good fishin .

WayneChristie
08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
If that's the lake I'm thinkin of(does it have 12 in the name?)we had our best day of fishing ever there,over 200 pike in a day between 2 of us ice fishin.
It's been a few years tho since I've fished it.

no its a different one, that one I want to fish, since its only 6 minutes from, my home, but I only have a canoe and that one gets pretty windy. this one is a bit further away, but not much :) love to know any hotspots on the 12, I only paddled around the south edge once, only time its been calm enough when I had the time.

WayneChristie
08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Work got rained out today, aww darn anyways :D:D so I headed to Lethbridge and picked up some gear. got a new favorite pike rod, I found a so called junior uglystick, all of 38 inches long, made for 2 to 8 pound line. got a small quantum longstroke reel to go with it, spooled it with around 110 yards of 8 pound translucent firewire. all for a cost of 55 dollars. Took it to my favorite spot tonight, Got a dozen or so pike on it, the biggest in the boat 5 pounds and had one twice that size on til it shook the frikkin barbless hooks and it even towed my 16 foot canoe around.and wow, it was like (and dont try this at home Christine!!!) :evilgrin: sticking my tongue in a lightsocket !!!! you can feel the difference when a fish sideswipes the lure or grabs it in its mouth, its so sensitive, I think you could even count the teeth!!! kind of fun watching the rod tip bending almost to the reel, and hearing the line scream off the reel when they run!!!! going to be a great stream rod too, no more getting tangled up in the brush. cant wait til Thursday when I have a whole day to nail more pike with it. or tomorrow if we get rained out again (fingers crossed)