PDA

View Full Version : Jumping sturgeon

thorne
06-21-2020, 09:25 AM
So Friday was an early day at work. Figured I would take advantage of an early afternoon to once again embark on my 24 year saga to finally pull a Sturgeon from the North Sask River. I headed home to grab my gear and a few staples for the afternoon and down to a nice quiet spot on the river I went. Beautiful day with sun shining, poplar fizz drifting gently in the breeze and a beautiful sandy beach to set up. Having performed this ritual many times before it didn't take long to be lounging in my fishing chair, tunes playing subtle beside me with a nice Cohiba and delicious beverage to make everything a perfect day of just waiting. My line was entering the water about 25 feet in front of me and as I puffed on my Cohiba and sipped my beverage I just watched the poplar fuzz start to gather on my line, as is typical this time of year, and just has I comtemplated pulling it in to clear it off, a 48ish inch Sturgeon comes clear out of the water just 15 feet in front of me.....yep...I thought....that just happened....Ya know, its one thing to spend years of countless hours preforming my ritual on the river bank without once having the privilege of catching one of these amazing creatures....but to be blatantly mocked so openly, well that was just rude! Anyway....I did have an amazing afternoon relaxing by the river regardless of my public sturgeon shaming...and managed to catch quite a few scrappy Goldeye and will undauntedly continue my quest...and one day...oh yes, one glorious day...I will be successful!

58thecat
06-21-2020, 09:29 AM
hmmmm...another fish story eh:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I once was bringing in my stringer of fish when a beautiful red head with luvly green eyes swam up to me and gently touched my hand....:)

thorne
06-21-2020, 09:44 AM
Thats what I love about fishing....not always about the biggest or the most, just about the stories, memories, and friends you make along the way!

WayneChristie
06-21-2020, 09:47 AM
hmmmm...another fish story eh:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I once was bringing in my stringer of fish when a beautiful red head with luvly green eyes swam up to me and gently touched my hand....:)

so thats where she went! :bad_boys_20: Thorne you will get used to it, and the worst is they usually jump about 5 feet past your furthest cast too! I just figure they are looking to see if its me so they can leave the area :sign0176:
! then again Ive had them stick their nose out for a peek less than a rods distance from my feet too! great way to keep the blood pumping for sure.

thorne
06-21-2020, 09:57 AM
so thats where she went! :bad_boys_20: Thorne you will get used to it, and the worst is they usually jump about 5 feet past your furthest cast too! I just figure they are looking to see if its me so they can leave the area :sign0176:
! then again Ive had them stick their nose out for a peek less than a rods distance from my feet too! great way to keep the blood pumping for sure.

Lol....funny thing is Wayne...I actually thought at that moment.."What would Wayne do??" So I sat back, took a puff of my Cohiba...sipped my drink and laughed a bit...what ever will be will be...lol.

WayneChristie
06-21-2020, 11:44 AM
Lol....funny thing is Wayne...I actually thought at that moment.."What would Wayne do??" So I sat back, took a puff of my Cohiba...sipped my drink and laughed a bit...what ever will be will be...lol.

in my case there "may" be some colorful language involved :bad_boys_20: if you are getting all goldeye try upsizing to 4/0 or 5/0 hooks it keeps more of them off and gives the dinos a chance to take your bait. I actually had to give up one of my spots the other day because the Mooneyes were right up to the shore for a change I couldnt leave a worm out for a couple minutes without it getting shredded but when the level drops they will go back out to the heavier current again

Wes_G
06-21-2020, 03:32 PM
So Friday was an early day at work. Figured I would take advantage of an early afternoon to once again embark on my 24 year saga to finally pull a Sturgeon from the North Sask River. I headed home to grab my gear and a few staples for the afternoon and down to a nice quiet spot on the river I went. Beautiful day with sun shining, poplar fizz drifting gently in the breeze and a beautiful sandy beach to set up. Having performed this ritual many times before it didn't take long to be lounging in my fishing chair, tunes playing subtle beside me with a nice Cohiba and delicious beverage to make everything a perfect day of just waiting. My line was entering the water about 25 feet in front of me and as I puffed on my Cohiba and sipped my beverage I just watched the poplar fuzz start to gather on my line, as is typical this time of year, and just has I comtemplated pulling it in to clear it off, a 48ish inch Sturgeon comes clear out of the water just 15 feet in front of me.....yep...I thought....that just happened....Ya know, its one thing to spend years of countless hours preforming my ritual on the river bank without once having the privilege of catching one of these amazing creatures....but to be blatantly mocked so openly, well that was just rude! Anyway....I did have an amazing afternoon relaxing by the river regardless of my public sturgeon shaming...and managed to catch quite a few scrappy Goldeye and will undauntedly continue my quest...and one day...oh yes, one glorious day...I will be successful!

I know how you feel, been trying going on 6 years now on and off, I don't know exactly how many days that I have trying for one but over a dozen for sure. Still yet to catch one of these stupid things.

thorne
06-21-2020, 04:23 PM
in my case there "may" be some colorful language involved :bad_boys_20: if you are getting all goldeye try upsizing to 4/0 or 5/0 hooks it keeps more of them off and gives the dinos a chance to take your bait. I actually had to give up one of my spots the other day because the Mooneyes were right up to the shore for a change I couldnt leave a worm out for a couple minutes without it getting shredded but when the level drops they will go back out to the heavier current again

Oh ya, my hook was up sized for the Sturgy....but as you mentioned the goldeye kept shredding the bait, so eventually I pulled out the med action and put away the big boy to have some fun with the Prarie Tarpon! Lol

58thecat
06-21-2020, 07:32 PM
Catch and release....

:)