PDA

View Full Version : Nsr in the canoe

bigrfish
08-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I hope that my raving about the NSR from Rocky to Drayton isn't getting old lol but I just can't help it.I know it's a bit of a jaunt for you guys down south but it is worth the trip.We have been trying to get a few more canoes to join us for a while now.This forum is the best place to share ideas and stories and I've noticed that some of you get together once in a while.We usually do this trip in late September and would love to see more people enjoying this great resource we have.You might think I own a stretch of the river by the way I promote it but actually it is only my desire for more people to experirnce this river that drives me to this lol.My fishin bud and I do alot of different trips during the year but this one kicks the most butt in my opinion.I know there are alot of great river systems here in Alberta but this one is hard to beat for the variety of wildlife,fish and scenery.
I would love to post a hundred pics for all of ya.
Here's a few

Lambo
08-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Looks beautiful up there. I'll definitely have to make a trip up there with my jet boat in the fall. I hear the walleye fishing is spectacular. Where do you suggest I launch?

Cal
08-03-2009, 11:26 PM
I never ever get tired of hearing about canoe trips, especily if they involve fishing and/or hunting as well. To me that is the ultimate outdoors experience, involving a plethora of traditional outdoor skills. Keep in touch and if this fall is as slack as this summer has been I might make the trip south and join you. Already got a doozie of a trip down the wabasca planned for october though so I might not be able to.

9mikemike
08-03-2009, 11:45 PM
I usually go upstream from rocky in my boat. Looks like an interesting trip, got some dates, I have to be in S Ontario in Sept but nothing in stone yet.

flynick
08-04-2009, 08:35 AM
How long does that trip take? Would it be ok in a sit on top fishing kayak?

angler1
08-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Looks beautiful up there. I'll definitely have to make a trip up there with my jet boat in the fall. I hear the walleye fishing is spectacular. Where do you suggest I launch?
Hey there Lambo. I too run a jetboat and make this run a couple of times a year. To save running up the river and fighting the current we usually launch at the bridge south of Nordegg on the forestry trunk rd. We bring an extra driver to take the truck back to Drayton Valley where we end up. It is really a beautiful trip. If it is walleye's you are after the further downstream you go the better it gets but you will find a few along with some other species in that upper stretch.

DarkAisling
08-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Great pics :) Thanks for sharing them. It looks very tranquil.

simmered
08-04-2009, 09:46 AM
That sounds like a great trip. What dates are you going? Is it a weekend thing? I've been wanting to do a river trip for awhile! PM with some details and I might be able to add a canoe to your group

WayneChristie
08-04-2009, 10:50 AM
great pics, looks beautiful. how long is the trip? anyone able to haul 2 canoes back to the start or do you need another driver?

Lambo
08-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Hey there Lambo. I too run a jetboat and make this run a couple of times a year. To save running up the river and fighting the current we usually launch at the bridge south of Nordegg on the forestry trunk rd. We bring an extra driver to take the truck back to Drayton Valley where we end up. It is really a beautiful trip. If it is walleye's you are after the further downstream you go the better it gets but you will find a few along with some other species in that upper stretch.

Hey! That's what I read too in Barry Mitchell (about better walleye downstream from the Big Horn dam). I'm a walleye guy so might have to launch a little further down. Rocky Mountain House is only 1.5 hours from my place. Can't believe I haven't checked out this river yet! I don't mind running upstream. On a river I haven't been to before I run up just fast enough so I mark deep holes on my GPS then I drift back and concentrate on those holes.

Lambo
08-04-2009, 06:51 PM
That sounds like a great trip. What dates are you going? Is it a weekend thing? I've been wanting to do a river trip for awhile! PM with some details and I might be able to add a canoe to your group

Not sure when I'll be able to make it up there but last year we did really well in mid October catching some monster walleyes on the Red Deer river.

Lambo
08-04-2009, 06:53 PM
great pics, looks beautiful. how long is the trip? anyone able to haul 2 canoes back to the start or do you need another driver?

Depends how far we go, I can pull you back up...as long as you don't mind cruising at 40 mph.:)

bigrfish
08-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey Guys
Just rolled in from Calling Lake...Took my seven year old up for the first time
Had a blast.Anyways the trip usually takes about 2 - 3 days depending on how much you like to paddle lol.I'm thinking Rocky or Drayton for the jet boats but you guys might have a better idea.As for dates we are planning on the weekend of the 25-27 sept.but that could change depending on...you guessed it WORK...As for the logistics of the vehicles and launching if any of you have access to a trailer that would work well.We take turns having the wives(they're all heart)drop us off at either Saunders or Rocky and then pick us up in Drayton.It would be great to see you out there.Like I said it is well worth the trip.

jinx
08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
I did this float on a May long about 10 years ago took us 3 days not much paddling Very fast . It was soo cold i think it snowed, but i loved it !!

i would love to take the kids to do this float before school starts.
How long it would take with the water low?

i hate paddling more than fishing :mad2: