PDA

View Full Version : Gull Lake Fishing

tbiddy
08-03-2009, 10:39 PM
So we took the boat out for the 1st time this year (been too busy with work) to Gull Lake and the fishing wasn't that great. Between the 4 of us that had line in the water we caught one small walleye all day. I think I put every hook I had in my box in the water. We launched the boat on the south end and trolled along the west side and shot over to the east side to do a bit more. Stopped to cast in a couple spots where there were a few boats gathered. Still nothing. This was our 1st time out on that lake. The temps were really high and lots of boat activity so I thought that might have something to do it. Any you pros out there have some suggestions for that lake?

On another note. That boat launch was crazy! There was a ton of boats coming and going but everyone was really cool. I heard there is a boat launch on the North side. Is it less busy, was it the weekend, or is it like that every weekend?

floppychicken
08-04-2009, 03:25 PM
So we took the boat out for the 1st time this year (been too busy with work) to Gull Lake and the fishing wasn't that great. Between the 4 of us that had line in the water we caught one small walleye all day. I think I put every hook I had in my box in the water. We launched the boat on the south end and trolled along the west side and shot over to the east side to do a bit more. Stopped to cast in a couple spots where there were a few boats gathered. Still nothing. This was our 1st time out on that lake. The temps were really high and lots of boat activity so I thought that might have something to do it. Any you pros out there have some suggestions for that lake?

On another note. That boat launch was crazy! There was a ton of boats coming and going but everyone was really cool. I heard there is a boat launch on the North side. Is it less busy, was it the weekend, or is it like that every weekend?

Last long weekend before the kiddies go back to school ! That's why it was likely so friggin' crazy... Too many boat in the water will DEFINITELY affect fishing, so don't feel 'too bad'. Fortunately, the season is 'getting on' and traffic should come to an abrupt halt once the last week-end of 'August' rolls around...

I've been to GULL and the fishing is "Top-Notch". First Trip, 40+ fish with one 15lb Pike and a 30" Walleye. The Walleye in that Lake are shaped like 'footballs' :)

I'd give it another try and work the weedlines and such.... Since the lake is so shallow, it doesn't really matter how warm the water is... It has more to do with how "Sunny and/or Windy" it is. First trip, the water was 73.5 degrees and we were catching 5 to 9lb Walleye in 5 to 7.5 feet of water ! The majority of the lake is VERY shallow, so it stands to reason that the fish are quite used to it.

Anyway, shallow running cranks over the tops of weed-beds seems to do the trick. Don't forget to 'experiment' with 'Soft Baits' as well. Due to the depth, it seems that GULL is best fished when it's overcast or cloudy outside and a good 'Walleye Chop' certainly doesn't hurt....

JMHO,

Cheers, :D

/FC...