PDA

View Full Version : Newbie fisherman

crazycga
06-24-2020, 01:52 PM
Hey all. Well, I've gotta say, based on some of the things I've read here, I'm quite reluctant to post. I'm a new, aspiring fisherman trying to catch trout (brown, rainbow) in the Calgary area. This is the second time that I've tried to get into it, and I've tried fishing in Glenmore and McLean, with absolutely zero success. (I plan on eating them, too.)

Now, based on the things that I've been reading, I assume that I'm going to just be branded a "leech". And if that's the case, that's fine, I will seek help elsewhere. But I am hoping to find someone who might be willing to teach some of the basics and/or even help me understand what I'm doing to help me get better. I've had one or two nibbles, but nothing major, and it's quite disheartening. I'm willing to spring for transportation or supplies or whatever.

I have a bit of disability that makes it difficult to walk too far (i.e. < 1 km), so that tends to restrict a lot of where I can fish, too. So, if there is anyone who is willing to help out a new fisherman, I would really like to hear from you.

Thank you in advance!
-J

HuyFishin
06-24-2020, 02:14 PM
Hey! Don't take what everyone says to heart to much. You just do you!

As long as you dont ask for secret spots you will be ok. All the dogs here wont bite if you're just learning to fish.

As for trout fishing use either floating powerbait in a carolina rig formation. Or simply use a bobbers with a worm or bobber and sinking powerbait. Both of these methods are easy and will produce fish. Just be ready to hold the rod, Pay attention and set the hook immediately.

If you want more of a sporting and challenging attempt. Try casting small mepps or panther martin spinners. Small countdown rapalas will also work.
Make sure to use light tackle and line in order to feel all the bites.

If you're looking for great trout ponds and lakes to go to. I recommend talking with your local tackle dealer like the fishin hole, they are always willing to chip in ideas on where to go that will produce good fishing. I dont live within your area so I cant help you there.

Tight lines

Smoky buck
06-24-2020, 02:15 PM
Welcome and first off there is nothing wrong with asking for advice on fishing techniques and advice. What guys have an issue with is those who are just seeking honey holes on where to fish

Now it’s been over 10years since I have fished Glenmore or lived in that area. It was not much for numbers of trout and there was way more pike. I did catch both browns and rainbows out of there and a few really nice ones but it was 1 trout to every 100 pike. Personally I would recommend switching to targeting pike if you are fishing Glenmore. Casting pike patter rapalas, swimbaits, bucktail spinners and spoons works well for pike. Look for weeds and structure where pike could be sitting in ambush

I don’t live in or fish southern Alberta anymore so can’t offer a lot of help. If it’s trout that interest you look into the stocking list and try a few of those lakes or ponds. Shrimp makes good bait for stocked trout

Good luck

crazycga
06-24-2020, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! As for the stocked ponds, how long does the stock TEND to stay around, on average? I noted someone here mentioned that McLean gets fished out pretty quick. What's your guys experience with that notion?

I might try to go for pike in Glenmore, if that's the case. Not that YouTube is any great God, or anything, but I've seen more videos about pike on Glenmore than trout, so that makes sense to me. Guess it's back to the shop for a lure for the pike then. LOL

Thanks for the help!
-J

Smoky buck
06-24-2020, 03:13 PM
Lakes don’t get fished out as fast as people think but the stupid fish are often caught first :lol:

Being new whatever time you can get out fishing do so because being out there trying different styles of fishing is how you are going to find what works best for you

Dielbo
06-24-2020, 03:24 PM
Hi,

First off with "forum leeches," my take on that is they don't want people who contribute zilch to PM them for GPS coordinates and/or detailed instructions to their favorite spots. There is a relatively new phenomenon of "YouTube fishermen" who just want content for their channel and don't seem to care if they burn a good spot or much about fishing ethics. I think if you're genuine in seeking help, you will get it.

I'm from Calgary and can say that fishing so far this spring has not been great, especially so if targetting trout in streams. Everything is high and/or dirty making for difficult conditions. I've been out quite a bit and river fishing has been lousy. Yesterday I was up for a crack at fly fishing in Cataract Creek, Etherington Creek, Highwood River and it was all high and poor fishing. Talked to a number of others who all reported zero success also. It's just too soon.

So I would look at stillwater options for the time being. Sibbald Lake is fishing ok for stockers but access is hard, as water levels are high and normal casting areas are under water. McLean pond and all the other "put and take" ponds are imo, not much fun to fish - gross little sloughs that they dump some fish into each spring.

Pike fishing on the other hand has been good. All of the reservoirs to the south of Calgary have produced - McGregor, Travers, PCR, etc. I have not tried to fish Glenmore but I would target pike if I were doing so. Not sure what water levels and clarity are like - if the Elbow is running hard it usually makes Glenmore relatively unfishable.

PM me if you want some more specific info.

WayneChristie
06-24-2020, 04:09 PM
welcome to the forum, number one. as for leeches a "member" who hides in the shadows for 8 years! with zero contribution or even a question in public as far as Im concerned is only after one thing looking for new places to steal fish. If you want a fish to eat Id forget the trout they taste like mud or bugs anyways :scared0015: I gave up on them long ago when I was living in Calgary. The rocky mountain whitefish (if they are still keepable I dont know) taste look and fight much better than die when you take their photo trout anyways. They will also hit spinners especially Panther martins or there are rubber baits that work just as well, as long as they are unscented. Trout will take the spinners too but hide your camera :bad_boys_20: If you want some locations to try, PM me although the river has changed a lot since I left the city especially after the floods. The trout and whites fishing will pick up a lot once the runoff and mud dies down.

58thecat
06-24-2020, 04:51 PM
welcome...if I lived down south I would share info with you as I do up here...good luck on your quest.....oh and back in the day leaches made great walleye bait.:)

WayneChristie
06-24-2020, 05:22 PM
welcome...if I lived down south I would share info with you as I do up here...good luck on your quest.....oh and back in the day leaches made great walleye bait.:)

still do just need a bigger knife to cut them in chunks now :sEm_oops2:

pikeman06
06-24-2020, 08:04 PM
Original poster...when you buy your first license they will ask.you if you need a copy of the regulations...if they don't, take it upon yourself to ask for said regulation book. In it you will find the water bodies in the area you choose to fish, as well as what you could expect to catch, size limits, opening dates, closures, bait bans etc. You should really spend some time looking at the book, and it will save you alot of future harassment and possible fines. With the license comes responsibility and respect for the fish you catch. Handle them with care if you aren't allowed to keep. There's all sorts of info for you to take in before you start. It won't be so confusing and mysterious. Alot of guys in alberta put in many hours of their time figuring out what works and where it works that's fishing. Takes a lifetime and a whack of cash to acquire the knowledge and skills to fish successfully in this province unless it's a lake full of stocked stunted walleyes.

crazycga
06-24-2020, 10:14 PM
Original poster...when you buy your first license they will ask.you if you need a copy of the regulations...if they don't, take it upon yourself to ask for said regulation book. In it you will find the water bodies in the area you choose to fish, as well as what you could expect to catch, size limits, opening dates, closures, bait bans etc. You should really spend some time looking at the book, and it will save you alot of future harassment and possible fines. With the license comes responsibility and respect for the fish you catch. Handle them with care if you aren't allowed to keep. There's all sorts of info for you to take in before you start. It won't be so confusing and mysterious. Alot of guys in alberta put in many hours of their time figuring out what works and where it works that's fishing. Takes a lifetime and a whack of cash to acquire the knowledge and skills to fish successfully in this province unless it's a lake full of stocked stunted walleyes.

Thanks for the advice, but THIS is not the problem. I've taken the "course" offered; I've studied the manual (over three years), but only just recently been able to get away to go do some fishing. I'm more looking for pointers on, say, technique. I can cast really well (I'm from the west coast originally, and was taught to cast really far), but am I reeling in too fast? Too slow? Too often? That kind of thing.

Books just can't teach that stuff.

Thanks anyway though.
-J

huntsfurfish
06-24-2020, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, but THIS is not the problem. I've taken the "course" offered; I've studied the manual (over three years), but only just recently been able to get away to go do some fishing. I'm more looking for pointers on, say, technique. I can cast really well (I'm from the west coast originally, and was taught to cast really far), but am I reeling in too fast? Too slow? Too often? That kind of thing.

Thanks anyway though.
-J

Actually books can teach you that, as well as youtube. A wealth of information.

As for reeling in to fast or to slow. Experiment, try fast retrieve, slow retrieve, med retrieve, then faster than you did on the fast retrieve.
Also, steady is not usually what they want, so twitch your rod as you reel in. And vary that amount as well.

There is no magic information/formula. The fish will tell you what speed they want and will tell you what they prefer in bait or hardware. And that may/will vary day to day and per water body.

HuyFishin
06-24-2020, 10:34 PM

Thanks anyway though.
-J

no need to reel fast, just reel smooth and steady with your rod tip up and keep the fish pinned. dont give him any slack.

Brandonkop
06-25-2020, 12:54 AM
Fishing is all about variables. The more you understand the variables and the variables that you have control of the more likely you will be able to catch fish. Here's a start of things to think about.

A) Locate Fish (Weeds, Structure, Bait)
B) Locate Feeding Fish (often weather and time dependent)
C) Time of Day
E) Depth of Fish (bottom, suspended, Surface)
F) Typical Forage
G) Finding a lure or bait to immitate that forage at the correct depth (strike zone)
H) If not actively feeding change tactics to reaction strikes
I) Consideration of lure color and size dependent on water clarity and brightness of day
J) Retrievel pattern and speed
K) Fan Casting for coverage of water, trolling for water coverage vs still fishing
L) Bite - SET THE HOOK!
M) Don't leave fish to find fish.

Good Luck. Note some of these points have a hundred plus variables at any given body of water. This is what turns fishermen into addicts. The understanding that fishing is more than luck, more of a finely calculated pursuit. Approach it like the latter and your endeavors will be rewarded. This can not be taught, but a curious creative mind with not much patience actually makes the best fishermen. Don't believe people who say you have to be patient to be a fishermen. Those guys are the same ones who think catching fish is all about luck.

Jayhad
06-25-2020, 11:06 AM
If you can afford it a real quick way to defeat the steep learning curve is to spend a day with a guide.

Smoky buck
06-25-2020, 02:29 PM
If you can afford it a real quick way to defeat the steep learning curve is to spend a day with a guide.

Does not need to be a guide just someone with experience

Fishwhere
06-26-2020, 07:29 AM
Hey there, i fished the glenmore i could times when i was in calgary. 1 time was super fun and great with pike and perch, another couple 0 bites of any sort. i would just start with trying to get into any sort of fish and get somr numbers to build confidence and have fun. Which to me i see pike as a great starter fish to get practice with. Get to a spot and cast your heart out with anything you want. Try different hooks, speeds, depth etc etc and fan cast left, right, center. If you are able to move 50ft one way and repeat every so often then at that point it is only a matter of time, if you cant move then try a different spot next time. Maybe you can invest in a little light movable chair/stool/backpack combo thing to help if you need to sit. Pike are fun, good fighting, and forgiving..... so do a tiny bit of research and then all you need to do is get there. But i think the glenmore has potential to have some good days from shore.

Good luck to you! Dont get discouraged!!!!!!

Also, i know some people get roasted sometimes on here - however what you are asking for is very different from asking someones where their 13" jumbo perch hole is, or trophy walleye etc. Hahaha but in the same breath there are some prople that are incredibly generous on here too and youd be suprised the kind of help youll get, even on a ludicrous request. Ask your questions and you will almost always get a helping hand and the proper direction to start heading. Good luck again

Talking moose
06-26-2020, 08:57 AM
Hey all. Well, I've gotta say, based on some of the things I've read here, I'm quite reluctant to post. I'm a new, aspiring fisherman trying to catch trout (brown, rainbow) in the Calgary area. This is the second time that I've tried to get into it, and I've tried fishing in Glenmore and McLean, with absolutely zero success. (I plan on eating them, too.)

Now, based on the things that I've been reading, I assume that I'm going to just be branded a "leech". And if that's the case, that's fine, I will seek help elsewhere. But I am hoping to find someone who might be willing to teach some of the basics and/or even help me understand what I'm doing to help me get better. I've had one or two nibbles, but nothing major, and it's quite disheartening. I'm willing to spring for transportation or supplies or whatever.

I have a bit of disability that makes it difficult to walk too far (i.e. < 1 km), so that tends to restrict a lot of where I can fish, too. So, if there is anyone who is willing to help out a new fisherman, I would really like to hear from you.

Thank you in advance!
-J

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200626/2dab94bfbfca1a790bcf76947de6c766.jpg
This is a good start.
Here I am holding a very handy tool for beginners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky buck
06-26-2020, 09:04 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200626/2dab94bfbfca1a790bcf76947de6c766.jpg
This is a good start.
Here I am holding a very handy tool for beginners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great book for exploring new waters. Helps when you know what species you are targeting in a new body of water. Ignore the average size though because sometimes the fish are much bigger or smaller then it says

Nice hair do Talking moose :happy0034:

CardiacCowboy
06-28-2020, 01:19 AM
Hey, I hit the stocker ponds for fun all the time lately. I live in south Calgary and hit Mclean quite often to fish and reflect. Soon I will be back on river but that is strictly catch release

PM me and we can coordinate our next trip out. I am no expert but have put in enough time to know a couple of tricks and spots.