PDA

View Full Version : trolling posts

WayneChristie
06-27-2020, 07:18 AM
I know a lot of people post links to vids of their fishing adventures, I do myself. I dont see anything wrong with that, as part of a real post. some people like to see how things work or kids having a blast, myself included. Posts which are nothing but an attempt to boost ratings and views on private channels in my once in a while humble opinion seem to be over the top. Is there a way admin could set up a separate Discussion room like they did for the flyfishers for these posts? gets tiring seeing the same old same old every few days just trying to drum up views. putting said indibividuals on ignore does nothing to stop them popping up. No offense to said individuals but maybe there are better avenues to boost your ratings and make a few bucks? How about posting them in the buy and sell or something or actually take out a sponsorship? just my opinion feel free to disagree as most will. Have a great weekend dont get hit by lightning and stay out of New York hospitals :scared0018: fellow anglers

58thecat
06-27-2020, 07:25 AM
na na na you cant just stir the pot then bugger off....ya gotta hang out for the squabble...that is an SOP....unless you are going fishing:)

thorne
06-27-2020, 09:19 AM
I actually agree with Wayne. Personally when I see a thread that I know is just basically Click Bait...I just skip it. I subscribe to lots of You Tube Channels....but the ones that constantly pop up on forums and are just there to promote their channel...I just ignore...or sometimes click on and give a thumbs down. Love links to personal channels where a person just wants to share a quick video of something cool...but as soon as I see its a serious You tuber trying to promote a channel and not just share a fun moment...ya...bye bye bye...this is not the place for it or soon thats all this forum will be is a click bait farm.

SNAPFisher
06-27-2020, 09:31 AM
Wayne, a great suggestion. I'm sure we know of at least one right now active on this forum. One particular member I supported for a short time. Then I mentioned a post that I put up and no interest, no comment, and doesn't contribute in any other thread. Truly a click __ore

That said, probably uses this forum infrequently and spends most of the time on other social media platforms...likely. But annoying nonetheless. Annoying like mosquitos that won't buzz off. Probably best to just add to the block list.

Good thing there are few of them, and, that there are a lot of great ones like yourself, Brandon, HuyFishin, etc. Keep up the good work!

SNAPFisher
06-27-2020, 09:34 AM
I actually agree with Wayne. Personally when I see a thread that I know is just basically Click Bait...I just skip it. I subscribe to lots of You Tube Channels....but the ones that constantly pop up on forums and are just there to promote their channel...I just ignore...or sometimes click on and give a thumbs down. Love links to personal channels where a person just wants to share a quick video of something cool...but as soon as I see its a serious You tuber trying to promote a channel and not just share a fun moment...ya...bye bye bye...this is not the place for it or soon thats all this forum will be is a click bait farm.

Good post! Forgot about the thumbs down. Might have to register some.

Smoky buck
06-27-2020, 09:46 AM
There are click bait posters I just don’t open their threads when I see them unless I am really bored. Even the true members that post YouTube stuff I don’t open that often because it’s not a big thing for me but I see them as contributors to the forum beyond just dropping clips

I don’t think the YouTube guys are really making money though

Either way if I don’t have interest I just don’t open it

WayneChristie
06-27-2020, 09:52 AM
well you all know I do like to stir the pot once in a blue moon :thinking-006: this is just my opinion but like mentioned they have zero interest in any other people videos or I am betting anyone elses posts here. I dont care if someone watches mine or not, or subscribes, just more mindless entertainment if you are bored thats all. and the Doc (stay safe dude!!!) and Huy do contribute a lot in other ways too, I dont usually watch their vids but I know they are entertaining and I know at least one of them has checked some of mine out, I just dont like clickbait when thats all it is. you others may, thats your choice and I have no problem with that, its like swapping lures or bait now and then just to see what else can make our sport/passion even more interesting. even if it was in a separate discussion thats great too but exclusively trying to make money off someone elses forum isnt the way to go the way I was brought up. then again my childhood forums were chiseled into clay tablets and word of mouth was yelled across the river or walking by someone else and seeing what they were catching all those fish with.

Smoky buck
06-27-2020, 10:03 AM
In a lot of ways I agree with your point Wayne

Dean2
06-27-2020, 10:23 AM
So ignore doesn't work? Even if that is accurate, you click open the thread, see it is a YouTube click increaser, move to next thread. Total elapsed time 5 seconds. I thought I was a busy person but your life must be just nuts if 5 seconds is really that disruptive.:fighting0074:

WayneChristie
06-27-2020, 10:38 AM
So ignore doesn't work? Even if that is accurate, you click open the thread, see it is a YouTube click increaser, move to next thread. Total elapsed time 5 seconds. I thought I was a busy person but your life must be just nuts if 5 seconds is really that disruptive.:fighting0074:

like I said its your choice. :fighting0074: nope it doesnt work, click on my name and see for yourself if it bothers you so much

DiabeticKripple
06-27-2020, 10:41 AM
i make it a point to NOT watch their videos. sometimes they come up on my suggested stuff utube but i avoid.

Dean2
06-27-2020, 10:48 AM
like I said its your choice. :fighting0074: nope it doesnt work, click on my name and see for yourself if it bothers you so much

I would never put you on ignore, I like the stuff you post.:grouphugg: I have put a few others on ignore and it worked fine. I never see their posts, even on subscribed threads, or threads started by them either. Mostly I was just yanking your chain cause I thought your original post was mostly just kidding and a little pot stirring.:)

WayneChristie
06-27-2020, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=Dean2;4193653]I would never put you on ignore, I like the stuff you post.:grouphugg: I have put a few others on ignore and it worked fine. I never see their posts, even on subscribed threads, or threads started by them either. Mostly I was just yanking your chain cause I thought your original post was mostly just kidding and a little pot stirring.:)[/QUI prefer my pot shaken not stirred . :bad_boys_20: a little stirring yes, just get tired of people using the word EPIC for a 16 inch girlyfish kinda pushes my buttons, especially after most of a day pulling weeds in plus 30 . :fighting0030: ignore doesnt work for me, but then again anything on a computer is guaranteed to do squirrely poo if I get near it :) proven many a time ask my ex lol same as 99% of people think Im nuts when I tell them I live in a haunted building. Til they visit a couple days. I dont think my sister will ever visit me again :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Sundancefisher
06-27-2020, 03:29 PM
I usually drop a fly below a corkie. Rarely do I troll.

WayneChristie
06-27-2020, 03:43 PM
I usually drop a fly below a corkie. Rarely do I troll.

be careful, I caught a Merganser that way up in the Bragg Creek area. Cant remember what fly it was but it put up a better fight than any stocked girliefish in the pond :shark:

Kurt505
06-27-2020, 04:08 PM
I’ve never watched one of his videos, he’s not a contributing member, like you said he just posts videos to bump his YouTube account. The only threads he’s ever posted on are his own, but that’s how he chooses to use this site. Every one of his threads are click bait, I just choose not to click out of principal. They could be good videos but the approach is greasy imo.

huntsfurfish
06-27-2020, 04:39 PM
I’ve never watched one of his videos, he’s not a contributing member, like you said he just posts videos to bump his YouTube account. The only threads he’s ever posted on are his own, but that’s how he chooses to use this site. Every one of his threads are click bait, I just choose not to click out of principal. They could be good videos but the approach is greasy imo.

OK, for once I agree:);), although I have watched a video or 2. I no longer click on them as well.

SNAPFisher
06-27-2020, 04:49 PM

X2

EZM
06-27-2020, 04:52 PM
There's gonna be the click bait types who post videos with "exciting titles" like "rare purple giant fish" so you click on the video.

What you end up seeing is .....

- what appears to be very common color phase or variation on on a fish

- a pedestrian sized fish, they exclaim is 20 lbs on a video, and 40+ inches and what you see is 28"-30" fish that's maybe 7-8 lbs

You end up feeling like you were duped. And you were.

So either, the person making the video has no idea what a 20 lb fish looks like and has never been near one, or he is purposely lying to you. Pretty simple really.

Well, at least this guy got you to click on his video, give him a view, and feed his channel and his scam.

Funny thing is he contributes NOTHING to the discussion forum.

I guess that's life. Live and learn.

as a disclaimer ... there are guys on here who post videos and I enjoy them ... Wayne does, HUY GUY, Brandon, and a few others - but these guys are straight up, excellent contributors to discussions and I have no issue with them. It's the few others on here that are leaches as far as I'm concerned.

No big deal - everywhere you turn in life there someone behind the next corner looking to scam you.

OL_JR
06-27-2020, 07:16 PM
None of the youtube stuff bothers me, I mean in the big picture, of all the stuff that gets posted on this forum why gang up on folks that post outdoors content. It was mentioned earlier, and even if it was tongue in cheek it really does take seconds to move on. No need for the public lynching.

For the record I have zero affiliation with any youtuber on here whatsoever, don't know a single one from Adam. Just calling it like I see it.

ghostguy6
06-27-2020, 08:49 PM
I would love to see those posters get the boot. If they can make money from Youtube then I see it to be no different than advertising without contributing to any other thread than their own or without the proper membership. I have a few of these posters on ignore already but it does not prevent me from seeing those threads in the list. They are just plain annoying.

Brandonkop
06-27-2020, 09:16 PM
and the Doc (stay safe dude!!!) and Huy do contribute a lot in other ways too, I dont usually watch their vids but I know they are entertaining and I know at least one of them has checked some of mine out

Thanks Wayne, I've been safe so far and COVID free. Gained a new fishing buddy over Covid. He survived after 8 weeks in hospital, so fortunately we may actually get out fishing in the fall when he heals up. He's supposed to show me how to coho fish on the fly.

I've enjoyed your down ice hole and underwater videos of big pike taking big baits for many years. Keep them coming.

As for youtube clickbait it only works once or twice. Either people like watching content or they don't. I hope people ignore my stuff if they dont want to watch it, doesn't bother me. While view levels persist to perplex me high or low they aren't the reason that some of us make the videos. I enjoy it and being a visual learner, I learn a lot of stuff from videos. Even how to do life saving medical procedures. So it's fitting for my style of learning. I also make gardening videos which I spare you guys of here and wild mushroom foraging videos... I may have posted one or two of those on another part of this forum. Can't recall for sure.

My vids are low quality, no budget vids, haha! I at times feel like no longer making videos do to the time investment, then someone will stop me at a store or message me thanking for helping them catch their first fish. Well that just keeps me plugging along.

Please ignore us youtube folk we mean no disservice to the rest.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

MooseRiverTrapper
06-27-2020, 10:44 PM
You mean Super Epic Ultra Clear Hidden Danger Sucker Fishing doesn’t excite you lol?

WayneChristie
06-27-2020, 10:49 PM
You mean Super Epic Ultra Clear Hidden Danger Sucker Fishing doesn’t excite you lol?

only if she hands me her undies at the first logjam! oops one of my trees just got hit by lightning made me lose my train of thought:sign0068:

58thecat
06-28-2020, 06:28 AM
I will watch a video to see if I enjoy the content....if it's not my cup,of tea when another from the same person pops up I just don't open it up....I dont ignore anyone just because of a difference of opinion etc because periodically I find I learn something from them too....if you walk down a tunnel and don't open doors up along the way you live and follow a very shallow life.....

WayneChristie
06-28-2020, 07:03 AM
I will watch a video to see if I enjoy the content....if it's not my cup,of tea when another from the same person pops up I just don't open it up....I dont ignore anyone just because of a difference of opinion etc because periodically I find I learn something from them too....if you walk down a tunnel and don't open doors up along the way you live and follow a very shallow life.....

nothing to do with an opinion, more to do with respecting the medium you are trolling your videos on. respect for the forum owner and all the rest who actually sponsor rather than dump their stuff.

Rikkles Fisher
06-28-2020, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure if you are talking about me or not Wayne and I'm sorry if you are and I offended you, is it because I never made it sturgeon fishing that one time? Anyone that thinks I never contribute on this page needs to look back on the history I used to post pictures here and evolved to videos which take 100x more effort and time and I try really hard on them. Been apart of this forum for a long time and these videos are my contribution and as of yet I haven't made a dime off any of them lol it's for your enjoyment and I share a ton of advice in the video for those who care to pay attention. If this isn't regarding me then sorry for the rant but il keep doing my thing, I have realized a long time ago I can't please everyone. Tight lines and sorry if anyone is offended by my videos I try really hard to bring relevant to Alberta fishing content.

Talking moose
06-28-2020, 11:54 AM
I like them.
What’s the difference if someone types out a story of their fishing trip and throws up a couple pics of it......or shares their story video form?
Personally I like the story in video form. Way more effort. Waaaaay more of a contribution.

Guys. Think of it like any other fishing trip post.
Some are written with a couple pics.
Some are videoed.
Rikkii. About the only thing I see that is a bit corny is the super epic insane titles...... perhaps tone it down some? My thoughts.

EZM
06-28-2020, 12:01 PM
I like them.
What’s the difference if someone types out a story of their fishing trip and throws up a couple pics of it......or shares their story video form?
Personally I like the story in video form. Way more effort. Waaaaay more of a contribution.

Some are videoed.
Rikkii. About the only thing I see that is a bit corny is the super epic insane titles...... perhaps tone it down some? My thoughts.

I also find the fastest way to turn a fan into a critic is to "play your audience" and It's critical that the title reflects the truth about the content.

People still enjoy seeing fish being caught - not all fish need to be "rare" or "giants" when, in fact they are neither rare or unusual nor are they big let alone giant.

I like to watch people catch fish, look at scenery, hear a story and learn about what people are using for lures or whatever. The boat launch, the campsite, things like that too - so if I haven't been there, it gives me the flavor of the place.

Mr Flyguy
06-28-2020, 12:06 PM
There's gonna be the click bait types who post videos with "exciting titles" like "rare purple giant fish" so you click on the video.

- a pedestrian sized fish, they exclaim is 20 lbs on a video, and 40+ inches and what you see is 28"-30" fish that's maybe 7-8 lbs

So either, the person making the video has no idea what a 20 lb fish looks like and has never been near one, or he is purposely lying to you. Pretty simple really.

Well, at least this guy got you to click on his video, give him a view, and feed his channel and his scam.

as a disclaimer ... there are guys on here who post videos and I enjoy them ... Wayne does, HUY GUY, Brandon, and a few others - but these guys are straight up, excellent contributors to discussions and I have no issue with them. It's the few others on here that are leaches as far as I'm concerned.

No big deal - everywhere you turn in life there someone behind the next corner looking to scam you.

leeches!

Rikkles Fisher
06-28-2020, 12:16 PM
I like them.

Some are videoed.
Il try and work on it! Noone wants to watch a boring title though and to be honest I'm always so excited about fishing that in my mind the title is just how it is in real life lol never have I said something that was untrue in the title. But appreciate the advice il try and figure out a happy medium.

Rikkles Fisher
06-28-2020, 12:19 PM

Haha everyone has an opinion and you are welcome to yours, I have caught some pike in the 20-30lb range I can definitely tell you that big one that broke the net was close to 20lbs which is still a giant fish even if you have caught a 30lber. I guess it's tough to tell on a wide angle go pro lens but I was actually there lol but you are entitled to your opinion I can't please everyone. You know how many people commented on that picture saying they had never seen one like that in their life? Lots. I don't clickbait we just have different opinions, so we both carry on.

EZM
06-28-2020, 01:23 PM
Haha everyone has an opinion and you are welcome to yours, I have caught some pike in the 20-30lb range I can definitely tell you that big one that broke the net was close to 20lbs which is still a giant fish even if you have caught a 30lber. I guess it's tough to tell on a wide angle go pro lens but I was actually there lol but you are entitled to your opinion I can't please everyone. You know how many people commented on that picture saying they had never seen one like that in their life? Lots. I don't clickbait we just have different opinions, so we both carry on.

Don't get me wrong - I like watching fishing videos - and I appreciate those that put the time in. My comments were an attempt to be general, and not necessarily specific to you. (or at least I wanted to move past it).

When I posted my comments on that thread, and when I watched the original video I didn't realize you had said this fish was 20 lb and over >40" on the video (I was originally listening to music as I was on the computer and missed that). When I said 7-8lbs that's what it looked like to me (which is a nice sized pike) and I didn't mean to contradict you - my apologizes - I don't want to be that guy. People who do that make others not want to post - and that wasn't purposeful.

Having cleared that up - video was entertaining.

I was more or less re-living your adventures with things I've done myself - I've had that type of dinky little rubber net and tried to get a pike into it and couldn't get half of the body in it and we were flipping around like it was a circus .... trust me .... all of us have done it. It was entertaining and that's what people want to see - and you delivered that.

You deserve props for the taking the time to do them, posting them and whatever - just know that we are willing and happy to see normal, every day stuff ............... it's enjoyable ........ not everything needs to be exaggerated or marketed to get hits - sometimes you run the risk of over selling something and having the net opposite effect you are looking for.

Keep up the good work.

https://i.imgur.com/kt8Lkeu.jpg

Rikkles Fisher
06-28-2020, 01:34 PM
Don't get me wrong - I like watching fishing videos - and I appreciate those that put the time in. My comments were an attempt to be general, and not necessarily specific to you. (or at least I wanted to move past it).

When I posted my comments on that thread, and when I watched the original video I didn't realize you had said this fish was 20 lb and over >40" on the video (I was originally listening to music as I was on the computer and missed that). When I said 7-8lbs that's what it looked like to me (which is a nice sized pike) and I didn't mean to contradict you - my apologizes - I don't want to be that guy. People who do that make others not want to post - and that wasn't purposeful.

Having cleared that up - video was entertaining.

I was more or less re-living your adventures with things I've done myself - I've had that type of dinky little rubber net and tried to get a pike into it and couldn't get half of the body in it and we were flipping around like it was a circus .... trust me .... all of us have done it. It was entertaining and that's what people want to see - and you delivered that.

You deserve props for the taking the time to do them, posting them and whatever - just know that we are willing and happy to see normal, every day stuff ............... it's enjoyable ........ not everything needs to be exaggerated or marketed to get hits - sometimes you run the risk of over selling something and having the net opposite effect you are looking for.

Keep up the good work.

https://i.imgur.com/kt8Lkeu.jpg
I really do appreciate the advice! I will work on the titles, I honestly just get so excited over fishing I'm not trying to oversell anything I just get that excited lol like last week I caught a 12" Athabasca Rainbow and you woulda thought I caught a 50lb lake trout by how excited I was lol thanks for the advice, tight lines.

SamSteele
06-28-2020, 03:28 PM
I’ve posted some of my vids in here before. Never thought that people would be upset by it. I thought it was a good way to share an outdoors experience with others that are like minded, or sometimes share info that others are asking about (in my case, usually questions about sonar or boats). I thought that was what the forum was about. Sharing outdoor info and experiences.

I’d like to hear what the forum owner and mods want here. If they don’t want it, I won’t do it anymore.

As an aside, I don’t think anyone who shares videos on here makes a dime on them. You need over 1,000 subscribers to get monetized by YouTube (meaning they put adds in the videos). Last I checked if you are monetized, 1 million views over a period of 1 year resulted in a couple hundred bucks. This isn’t something easy to achieve, especially with something as niche as fishing in western Canada.

Bushleague
06-28-2020, 04:13 PM
One thing about running a half decent U-tube channel though, is it takes a ton of shameless and relentless self promotion. So if you are willing to put in the work, great... but one also needs to accept that if they become the online version of that hardcore AMWAY guy that we all knew back in 90's, your going to get roughly the same reaction from the people you repeatedly attempt to solicit.

The OP is willing to make the vids, and he's willing to flog them... that's going to make him some friends, as well as some people that go the other way when they see him in the grocery store. He needs to come to terms with that.

HuyFishin
06-28-2020, 04:55 PM
I'll be honest here. I really really wish I was making money from youtube. But based on how slow my channel has grown I dont think it would happen.

I hate my job. Fishing and making videos would be a dream come true.

Zip-in-Z
06-28-2020, 05:26 PM
Always enjoy a good debate about trolling, just don't get your Cdn Wiggler hung up in the weeds.

Happy Canada Day!

D.

Smoky buck
06-28-2020, 06:00 PM
I'll be honest here. I really really wish I was making money from youtube. But based on how slow my channel has grown I dont think it would happen.

I hate my job. Fishing and making videos would be a dream come true.

I hate my job too but I wish I could be a porn star

We all have dreams :rolleye2:

Kurt505
06-28-2020, 07:32 PM

^^^ this^^^

It would be nice if you added a couple pics for the guys that don’t have the time to watch the video. It’s like the only way members can take in your posts is if they log onto YouTube. It’s up to Rikki what he wants to do, I’m not going to preach how anyone has to use the forum, I just know how I enjoy using the forum.

AndrewM
06-28-2020, 08:54 PM
^^^ this^^^

It would be nice if you added a couple pics for the guys that don’t have the time to watch the video. It’s like the only way members can take in your posts is if they log onto YouTube. It’s up to Rikki what he wants to do, I’m not going to preach how anyone has to use the forum, I just know how I enjoy using the forum.

A few pictures would draw me into some of the YouTube videos. Great idea! Make it mandatory. Lol

Bushleague
06-29-2020, 11:11 AM
I hate my job too but I wish I could be a porn star

We all have dreams :rolleye2:

You could always get your self a go-pro :scared0015:

sns2
06-29-2020, 11:47 AM
Fellas, I think this one has run its course.

Pixel Shooter
06-29-2020, 12:47 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=383928[/INDENT]