PDA

View Full Version : bow

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 10:07 AM
i was wondering, how far from the WHD weir can i fish on the bow??? i was thinking of fishing under the 17th ave bridge but i dont know if that's too close???if it is i can get off the bus there and walk 1k or so south down the river too if i have to

marlin1
08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
why are you staying away from the wier?

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 10:21 AM
well it hought you werent supposed to fish below it, but i think i get it now. never been into the bird santuary but i guess only waters running through that are closed.....i may try ahead of the 17th ave bridge then, unless it's too shallow, any good lures ya know about?

WayneChristie
08-04-2009, 10:24 AM
pretty sure its closed for a couple hundred yards or so below the weir. there are some good spots close to downtown too, or like I said, try Edworthy Park, some big fish down there! just take number 1 bus to parkdale

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 10:25 AM
thats what i thought too, which if it's about 2 football feilds is south of the 17th ave bridge, but i see people fishing off the stone walway above the weir all the time <probably illegally>

slingshotz
08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Fishing is closed to 25 yards of the wier (or any other manmade obstacle, page 19 of the regs) so the 17th Ave bridge is perfectly fine. If you go downstream from the 17th Ave bridge and next to the golf course there's a really nice pool caused by the flooding last year. Spoons and spinners work good in there but you have to walk across a really shallow waterfall to get to the last gravel island. It's very shallow, like 2 inches at most so you don't need waders or anything like that.

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
i'm not scared of getting wet, is that spot on the west or east side????i havent fished that part of the bow before, always glenmore or fish creek

slingshotz
08-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Golf course is on the east side of the river below 17th ave bridge. I would stay away from north of the bridge due to the construction and some undesirables on the west side.

DarkAisling
08-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Fishing is closed to 25 yards of the wier (or any other manmade obstacle, page 19 of the regs)

Is it yards, or metres? I thought the measurement was in metres, but my copies of the regs aren't really accessible right now.

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 10:38 AM
if it's a manmade obstacle wouldnt a bridge be too????

SCO
08-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Just wondering if people look at you funny carrying a fishing rod on the bus? I knoqw a few years ago I went into Edmonton to stay at my cousin's place later in the evening so we could get a early start in the morning and when I pulled my rod out from behind the back seat of the truck (it was in a case) and started walking to his apartment building there was a couple walking towards me and they crossed the street and went the other direction.:huh: Another group I met took off. They weren't running but they were not sticking around.:confused: When I went into the elevator behind 3 other people and they turned around I think they forgot how to breath. I explained it was a fishing rod not a gun. That eased the tension a bit. I thought it was hilarious.:lol:To bad you don't live closer to Edmonton, I could drive in and take you to some good spots within a 1-2 hours drive. Been fishing by myself lately. Everyone is to busy or gone to work.

WayneChristie
08-04-2009, 10:41 AM

if the fish are too big to fit under the bridge I dont think you would be able to land them anyways :lol::lol::lol::lol:

baitfisher83
yeah i cant seem to find many people willing to go out either.....i pay no attention to the people on the bus, most of them are smelly crazy drunks so i would look a hell of alot more normal carrying a fishing rod on it..lol

DarkAisling

I guess it depends on the construction of the bridge. It the bridge doesn't seriously affect the passage of fish, I think it could be argued that it isn't an obstacle.

slingshotz
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Before I had a car I used to take the bus all the time with my fishing rod and tackle box, there's enough wierdos on the bus that you blend right in anyways :lol:

And the regs quote: Fishing is prohibited by any method within 25 yards (22.86 m) of the lower
entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles. So bridges are technically a bit of an obstacle but I'm pretty sure they are not included. The pools are further than 25 yards anyways and fishing below the bridge isn't fantastic holding water.

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
i know the water right under the bridge isnt overly deep so i may go south of that somewhere...if my grandparents ever get home

SCO
08-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Do/did you carry your rod in a case? Mine was in a case that I guess would make it look more like a gun to some.

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
nope i have mine out in the open, dont have a case..lol you must be a bug chucker..

SCO
08-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Not a bug chucker. Just keep it in a case to protect it. I usually keep it in the backseat of my truck or company truck. Between farming and oilfeild there is usually a lot of other junk in there as well. Some of the areas I go to are by quad/argo or walking through some bush to get to the good spots on a river and it just makes it much easier.

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
ahh ok, dont do much of the hiking to spot myself, most of the bow in the city is accesible by walkways.....i dont fish it very often though. Just wanna try for another big brown so i can actually get a pic of it this time!!stupid fish

calgarygringo
08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Transit actuallly works pretty good. 4 of us went out last week and one of our members lives on the other side of town with no wheels. He jumped the LRT and we picked him up with backpack and rods in hand in front of the south lrt station. Worked well. He got a good day fishing and didn't need to worry about not having wheels to get out in the bush.

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 11:04 AM
i may just walk from work<which is just above the hill on deerfoot, instead of taking the bus, if i was going to bowness or something i would need the bus but i dont have patience for that bus right now....

marlin1
08-04-2009, 12:20 PM
sorry wasn't aware of the wier law , must be new . I talked to some guys that were fishing right at the wier a few weeks ago . They were probaly fishing illegally and didn't know it . Quite a few shady characters all through there as I rode the path from the zoo, be aware of that . Ever fished the big pool by the zoo parking lot ? might not be too bad

marlin1
08-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Do/did you carry your rod in a case? Mine was in a case that I guess would make it look more like a gun to some.

I used to take my shotgun on the bus when I was younger but I guess times have changed . The driver didn't even blink an eye back then

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
lol should i keep my eyes open for ya?

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
sorry wasn't aware of the wier law , must be new . I talked to some guys that were fishing right at the wier a few weeks ago . They were probaly fishing illegally and didn't know it . Quite a few shady characters all through there as I rode the path from the zoo, be aware of that . Ever fished the big pool by the zoo parking lot ? might not be too bad

do ya mean the one east of the rocky bank there????i havent fished that spot for a few years myself.....

marlin1
08-04-2009, 05:06 PM
the big pool by the old zoo bridge has produced some big trout in years past.

TreeGuy
08-04-2009, 07:26 PM
the big pool by the old zoo bridge has produced some big trout in years past.

X2! Nice pool. Also, there's another sweet one just upstream of the Crowchild Tr. bridge (across from the 7-11) that is directly on the number 1 bus route.

I was near the weir this afternoon. The waterpark construction on the west bank seemed to be quite active. I'd steer clear of the area. Between the 'locals' and the pelicans it just has trouble written all over it.

Also, the clarity of the river really decreased today along with increased water levels, so head's up on that. With alot more rain in the forcast for the rest of the week it's likely best to wait it out.

Tree

BobLoblaw
08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
If you don't want to "wait it out", try fishing streamers up tight to the banks while the water's high & dirty...

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 09:36 PM
tree i was south of the 17th ave bridge, maybe i should come and fished north of the weir..lol the south was a graveyard, i was surprised no one was down there

slingshotz
08-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Everytime I've gone south of 17th, there's always been people there. It's the crappy weather that gave you the entire stretch to yourself. All the rain has messed up the bow, I can see that it's a lot higher and dirtier.

baitfisher83
08-04-2009, 10:55 PM
yeah all i was catching is poplar cotton...blah