PDA

View Full Version : Recreational Fish Culture License

James.m
06-29-2020, 09:01 AM
Hey,

I have recently applied and received a license so I can stock trout on my property.
I am looking at stocking rainbow and brook trout, Rainbow trout are very easy to find but I'm having trouble finding a hatchery with brookies.

Just curious if anybody has stocked brookies this year? and if so where did you find them?

Thanks, any information is appreciated!

SNAPFisher
06-29-2020, 10:42 AM
I used to get mine from Ackenberry but it has been a lot of years. Just in case you haven't tried them yet.

I'm guessing brookies are rare if even available nowadays.

schleprock
06-29-2020, 10:54 AM
Only browns and rainbows are available this year in Alberta. The brook trout do come up for sale every so often though so keep on checking the Ackenberry and Smoky Trout farms sites. I have been waiting for them for the last three years myself.

James.m
06-29-2020, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the info guys, my license states Rainbow trout and Brook trout, I wonder if it will be a issue trying to get some brown trout.

schleprock
06-29-2020, 11:33 AM
There should not be any problem at all. You might be better off phoning the number on the application form and asking for a new license with the brown trout included than to re apply for them. Hopefully you won’t be charged the whole fee again.

gube
06-29-2020, 12:48 PM
I picked up brookies and browns from Ackenberry’s 2 years ago And they told me that browns were to difficult to raise and wouldn’t be doing it anymore. May have changed their mind so best to call them.

goldscud
06-29-2020, 01:00 PM
Browns and Tigers are really hard to keep growing

Red Bullets
06-29-2020, 04:45 PM
You can raise freshwater prawns in Alberta too. Might be a nice treat compared to pothole trout.

fish99
06-29-2020, 07:29 PM
You can raise freshwater prawns in Alberta too. Might be a nice treat compared to pothole trout.

i think i need to dig a pond at the farm how old is the prawn to get that size.
is this in alberta

CNP
06-29-2020, 07:34 PM

Quite the size!!!

Elchinodiablo
06-29-2020, 07:44 PM
Wow!! How do they taste? And do you h
ave to keep cycling the water for those?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Red Bullets
07-02-2020, 02:40 PM
I guess I needed to know more regarding raising Prawns.. I know in Alberta you can get aquaculture licenses for raising prawns. What I didn't realize its that it might be harder to do in dugouts in Alberta. It requires attendance, water and habitat controls and feeding to raise the prawns. Trout you stock and don't worry about so much. Prawns can live in water from 12C to 40 C and you harvest in the same year so winter isn't a factor. Further south they harvest 1200 lbs. per acre in shallow ponds.

In Alberta there is one farm capable of producing 60,000 lbs of prawns. It is a high tech aqua operation in above ground buildings. At Strathmore. Not producing since covid.

https://waterfordfarms.ca/recirculating-aquaculture-is-the-future-of-shrimp/

Red Bullets
07-02-2020, 02:44 PM
i think i need to dig a pond at the farm how old is the prawn to get that size.
is this in alberta

I read that prawns can be put in in May and harvested 5 months later. The pic is just from the internet but I'm sure they would get to this size if fed properly. Usually 10 to 13 prawns per pound.