PDA

View Full Version : Raise transducer between trips

ragweed
06-30-2020, 05:25 PM
Hey guys. Quick question. I recently purchased a Lowrance triple shot transducer. The thing is huge. Like....makes me feel inferior. Should I point it up during travel between water bodies? I’m thinking that it might catch the odd rock or something on the hwy. Do you boat guys constantly loosen and raise yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntsfurfish
06-30-2020, 05:31 PM
I do on mine, but I have more than a couple ducers on the back.:);)

I consider it a good practice.

Coiloil37
06-30-2020, 05:37 PM
Take a look at a 1 or 2kw transducer and you’ll see what a big transom mount ducer looks like. Then have a look at a 3kw in hull, now your triple shot looks small again.

No I never move mine but I’m about four km to the boat ramp. Rock damage would be an issue though if it scratched it.

ragweed
06-30-2020, 05:41 PM
K...I've got the right idea then.
I don't need to see anything bigger. lol

Freedom55
07-01-2020, 04:03 AM
I cover my transducer with a leather pouch purpose made to tie on and stay between lakes. Inexpensive and effective.

Free

ragweed
07-01-2020, 05:01 AM
I was thinking something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbless
07-01-2020, 08:28 AM
I cover my transducer with a leather pouch purpose made to tie on and stay between lakes. Inexpensive and effective.

Free

Same here

old dog
07-01-2020, 08:35 AM
I use to but last few years I haven’t. No issues. Maybe if I travelled a lot of gravel I would

JBFranklin
07-01-2020, 12:18 PM

Free

Smart. Im going to try that.

EZM
07-01-2020, 12:32 PM
I do on mine, but I have more than a couple ducers on the back.:);)

I consider it a good practice.

Yup me too, so I tilt the SI puck up if I'm going on gravel, or a long trip for sure. Take a few minutes - could save you hundreds of bucks and a ruined trip.

I also carry a couple spare transducers in the boat (bought a few units on sale that had the transducer included for less than just the head unit itself) and since I'm networked, I need one or two transducers to service all 4 head units in the boat (plus the trolling motor transducer I guess).

Brandonkop
07-01-2020, 12:59 PM
I always tilt mine up. I'm sure after time I'll ruin the cord but saves the ducer.

Positrac
07-01-2020, 01:26 PM
I’ve epoxied the transducers in the last half dozen boats I’ve owned so that they shoot through the hull. As long as there were no air pockets I’ve never had an issue.

The last jet boat I had was 1/4” aluminum bottom and there were no issues getting a good reading straight through the bottom of the hull towards the outside edge of the boat where there was no Teflon skid plate.

Now my disclaimer, I really only used the sounder for depth and locating bait. I’m thinking some of the new side scan fish finders may lose some features or clarity going through the hull.

EZM
07-01-2020, 01:37 PM
The next boat I build will have a through hull transducer, better signal, no turbulence and can't get damaged because it's in the boat.

laker taker2
07-09-2020, 08:31 PM
I use a putter head cover for my regular Lowrance ducer. It works great. Even has a Velcro thing that goes behind the cord. Then I have a 5 wood head cover for my SI humminbird ducer that is much bigger. I use a zip tie on longer trips but last time I drove 2 hrs in the rain without one and it never moved.
Cheap solution.

Elchinodiablo
07-10-2020, 11:26 AM
I have one of those new monster trnasducers. I spilt a pool noodle part ways. Slid it over the tranducer and then an old sock. Works awesome.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Osky
07-11-2020, 05:40 AM
The next boat I build will have a through hull transducer, better signal, no turbulence and can't get damaged because it's in the boat.

EZ I have my in state boats rigged that way and despite what they tell you you will give up a small amount of sensitivity shooting thru aluminum. I’ve played with it and tested it a couple different times and noticed it.

Osky