PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Newell lately?

Russ C
08-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Looking for any recent reports from Newell, going next week for a few days and I am looking to fish a bit so any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Russ C

WayneChristie
08-04-2009, 10:33 PM
will you be fishing from a boat or shore?

Mulestalker
08-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Was there last week ,spent a week in +30 weather,for 5 days straight that lake was like glass:sick: it was really too hot for fishing but managed to catch several beauties, the Walleyes were pretty deep 28-35ft so one had to be careful. Had most luck heading North West of the park launch,first point.

My son fished of the weir in the evenings,around 8pm until dark ,pickerel rig and minnows was the ticket,both Pike and Walleye

wbugger
08-05-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm from Brooks And a good place fish is on the south east part towards
the rolling hills res

laker taker2
08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
fish are everywhere. move around with spinners and stop when you see something good on your sonar. keep moving all day, you'll do well. 20+ ft. fished it last week and did well

Russ C
08-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Sorry.... will be fishing out of a boat, but I only have an electric trolling motor so can't go too far from the provincial park.

Thanks again
Russ C

WayneChristie
08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
check out down around the Rolling Hills Reservoir end, its pretty sheltered, and some huge fish in the area

nicemustang
08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Just fish the drop off directly west of the PP early in the morning before all the boats get on the lake. Good for pike and walleye. Or go to the point directly north of the launch across the first bay, it's good there too.

pikester
08-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Was there on Sunday & was a beautiful day on the water. Managed 14 pike including a 14lber & one walleye but took all day to do it! Marked a lot of fish @ 27ft in the SW end as well as the NE corner. Nailed almost all the pike on weed edges in 17-21ft on cranks.

Just a question for the Newell regulars, do the walleye have a preference for nightcrawlers or leeches? I spent $5 on a tub of shiners at the marina & didn't even get a sniff on them all day:mad2:! The only one I caught was on a big crankbait & steel leader which is how I've caught almost all my Newell walleyes. Not that I'm complaining but I wouldn't mind targeting them with more "refined" traditional methods:lol:

nicemustang
08-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Because of the warm weather and super sunny days, that's not uncommon. Walleye bite will be best in the evening now from 8-11 pm. During the day, you have to look deeper and they might be spended as well. 25-40 FOW typically at this time of year during the day. Minnows should work as it's mostly what I use. A yellow black wolly bugger jig or any jig head (white, green, yellow, orange) with minnow. The reason why cranks are working because you happened to put it front of them, likely spended during the day in cooler water.

Hooker
08-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I just noticed the post from Wayne Christie about Rolling Hills. I've never been to that reservoir. What is the boat launch like there?

Hooker

Hooker
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Never mind my last post. I just looked it up on Google Earth and can see that it is a nice launch.

nicemustang
08-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah....cool eh? How amazing is that? Looks like that was a really windy day by the look of the waves on the lake.

Stella
08-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Hope everyone is having a great summer. Heading to Newell on Saturday and was wondering if anyone has been there lately. Was wondering how the fishing has been? Any reports would be great.

Thanks.