PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Fly Fisherman

committed
08-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Me and a couple of buddies are getting into fly-fishing, live in and around the Lethbridge area but travel up to Pincher Creek often, targeting trout.

A friend of mine sent me this link on a package fly deal off eBay; having little experience I am not sure if this is a good purchase or not? Are the fly's that are being advertised "quality" trout flies?

Thanks for your insight!:wave:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BARNSLEY-2-FLY-BOXES-100-FLY-FISHING-TROUT-FLIES_W0QQitemZ200344646936QQcategoryZ23815QQcmdZV iewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSICD D%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFI CS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

Tuna
08-05-2009, 01:33 PM
http://www.ickyflyworks.ca/

mikeym
08-05-2009, 02:43 PM
looks to be not too bad of a deal. gives you just about most flies you are ever going to need and the boxes are pretty decent looking.

the boxes alone are about $15 - $30 ea depending on where you buy and flies average about $1 ea, so it looks like a decent deal for the money and better now that the Cdn$ is gaining ground again.

as for the quality, can't tell you that as the pics don't always show the truth. most bulk flies are all tied overseas these days anyways, so that is probably where they are coming from. the quality flies are still tied in North America or Europe or hand tied by speciality shops, but they are usually double the price.

you can't really lose on that deal. as a beginner fly fisher, you are probably going to lose more flies than fish at first, so it will be less of a hit on the pocket book. once you get more into flyfishing, then you will be able to see the difference between flies and thier quality or lack there of.

i would go for it. can't really loose out. i spend more than that on going to the local fly shop to pick up 2 or 3 flies (always end up with 20 - 30 and extra tippet, leaders, floatants, etc).

good luck fishing

Mike

uplander
08-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I would say that you should order from cabelas or bass pro because almost everytime i order from ebay for flies i either dont get them all or there falling apart

nevercatchmuch
08-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I have got some great stuff off ebay but got in trouble one time when the purchase came from the US. The customs fees were insane and my good deal turned into a bad one quickly. Check with the seller how much the usual custom fee is.