PDA

View Full Version : Need new salt water rod and reel please

happyfisher
07-13-2020, 09:33 PM
So every year I go to mexico and surf fish. I bought a salt stiker reel and a 4 piece rapela travel rod..magnum I think it was called.
Anyway..I got the reel soaked a few times and its toast....only paid 70 bucks for it....and the rod was garbage.....but it worked for a bit...

Now I need a new and better set up. I wanna cast far....but I'll also be fishing in a boat a couple times....going after some big ones!!

I'm thinking Penn rod and another salt striker...but I dunno.

I'm thinking a 10.5 or 11 footer....

Any recommendations....? I wanna spend about 150 each for the rod and reel...total around $300

Any ideas?

Tnx

Happy

Fishwhere
07-14-2020, 08:02 AM
Im also trying to dial this in. Had exact same experience. Its been a while coming.

HuyFishin
07-14-2020, 08:48 AM
DAIWA BG reel! Its maybe 20 dollars more then your budget but its a work horse.

Quantum also released a fully sealed BUDGET reel for the salt. They advertise "virtually maintenance free"
Seems promising for the cost.
https://www.amazon.ca/Quantum-Reliance-Spinning-Bearings-Powerful/dp/B07YFFMD57

honker_clonker
07-14-2020, 10:01 PM
Penn is launching the battle 3 this fall. One of those in a 6000 would fill the bill. Might be a bit heavy but penn and salt water go hand in hand. They have really upped their game lately.

FlyTheory
07-14-2020, 10:33 PM
I’d add line budget to you as well. I would get high quality braid for the salt

happyfisher
07-15-2020, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys...I'd order it but it seams it's out of stock...

I was leaning towards this...

https://www.amazon.ca/Penn-Spinfisher-10-Feet-Spinning-2-Piece/dp/B00N5TOEVY

Any comments about that?

If not I'll wait and buy what was mentioned above...

Thanks again

Happy

happyfisher
07-15-2020, 02:38 PM
Huyfishin...

Here is a link for the reel u mentioned....which one should I buy? There are like 7 different models...I'm gunna get a penn rod for sure...I might wait till the fall as mentioned in a previous post about the new release of the 6000 series...

And yes...i will get good braid for sure....

Tnx

Happy

happyfisher
07-15-2020, 03:00 PM
https://www.amazon.ca/Daiwa-BG-Spinning-Reel-Master/dp/B01M97T1U9?th=1&psc=1

Here is link...sorry...

Also for the rod...I want a penn 10 footer.....any ideas?

Tnx

Happy

HuyFishin
07-15-2020, 03:08 PM
https://www.amazon.ca/Daiwa-BG-Spinning-Reel-Master/dp/B01M97T1U9?th=1&psc=1

Here is link...sorry...

Also for the rod...I want a penn 10 footer.....any ideas?

Tnx

Happy

Hey! I highly recommend you call in to Daiwa explain to them what you're gonna be catching. They have odd sizing compared to shimano ect. I would also ask them on the phone if thats an authorised dealer on AMAZON. I find it very odd how the sellers name is spelled DIAWA and not DAIWA

mlee
07-15-2020, 03:09 PM
I bought a 2500 series big game this winter and absolutely love it. Not for salt water but it's super smooth and great drag. Used it on my pike/laker ice rod and it's now on a 7'6" medium heavy rod that has hauled in a lot of fish so far this year.

happyfisher
07-15-2020, 03:13 PM
Tnx huyfishin....will do

Bushleague
07-15-2020, 03:16 PM
Hey! I highly recommend you call in to Daiwa explain to them what you're gonna be catching. They have odd sizing compared to shimano ect. I would also ask them on the phone if thats an authorised dealer on AMAZON. I find it very odd how the sellers name is spelled DIAWA and not DAIWA

With Daiwa you need to look at the line capacity rather than the numbers, their sizing is a bit different, and they've used different systems for different lines of reels over the years.

I have one of the original BG's and its the single best reel I've owned, its got the rugged build of a vintage surf reel, but is almost as smooth as a modern one. I only wish I'd picked up a few more before they phased them out. That said, I do plan on picking up one of the new BG's one of these days.

HuyFishin
07-15-2020, 03:50 PM
With Daiwa you need to look at the line capacity rather than the numbers, their sizing is a bit different, and they've used different systems for different lines of reels over the years.

I have one of the original BG's and its the single best reel I've owned, its got the rugged build of a vintage surf reel, but is almost as smooth as a modern one. I only wish I'd picked up a few more before they phased them out. That said, I do plan on picking up one of the new BG's one of these days.

As i was reading this I was gonna offer money for your original BG. But I guess you're not willing to part ways with it. They are difficult to find. DAIWA BG's are work horses. We dont get many people talking about them here since our local dealers mainly carry Shimano,Quantum and Pflueger.

HuyFishin
07-15-2020, 03:51 PM
I bought a 2500 series big game this winter and absolutely love it. Not for salt water but it's super smooth and great drag. Used it on my pike/laker ice rod and it's now on a 7'6" medium heavy rod that has hauled in a lot of fish so far this year.

are we talking about the Daiwa reel??

Bushleague
07-15-2020, 04:03 PM
As i was reading this I was gonna offer money for your original BG. But I guess you're not willing to part ways with it. They are difficult to find. DAIWA BG's are work horses. We dont get many people talking about them here since our local dealers mainly carry Shimano,Quantum and Pflueger.

The original BG's are somewhat hard to find, and tend to be fairly costly, otherwise I'd have more of them. If you can live without the silent AR, the previous C series are almost as good and tend to go alot cheaper on E-bay.

I've recently picked up a few of the lower end A series reels, they have a slower gear ratio and no ball bearings at all, but they are still very smooth. Hands down the easyest reel to service as well, I dont think you could actually build a functional spinning reel with fewer parts.

happyfisher
07-15-2020, 04:09 PM
I was going to buy the quantum....as it says its maintenance free ish....I was going to go with the daiwa bg....but it says it's not meant to be "dunked"...and I fall into the ocean regularly....i frequently head to a big rock and fall and get submerged....lol

Will that be a problem with the BG?

Also the quantum is made in china.....so....i dunno about that...

Tnx

Happy

HuyFishin
07-15-2020, 04:39 PM
I was going to buy the quantum....as it says its maintenance free ish....I was going to go with the daiwa bg....but it says it's not meant to be "dunked"...and I fall into the ocean regularly....i frequently head to a big rock and fall and get submerged....lol

Will that be a problem with the BG?

Also the quantum is made in china.....so....i dunno about that...

Tnx

Happy

Many people do dunk the BG in the ocean by accident, (must rinse off once done.) just dont reel while its dunked in the water to take up sand. No reel should be dunked even the 600 dollar shimanos or daiwas should not be dunked. They are still built to be rinsed after. The next step up from the daiwa BG will be the Daiwa Saltist. Its literally the same reel except the saltist has sealed bearings. Not worth the extra cost because u can buy 2 Daiwa BG's for the cost of one saltist. Many guys catching Sharks from shore with the BG no problems as long as its rinsed after each trip.

If you truly want a reel that can be dunked and reeled in the water then you're gonna be looking at a Van stall which can be dunked and reeled in salt. BUT! You're gonna be paying upwards of 1000 dollars for this piece of art.

happyfisher
07-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Thanks!!!! The bg 4500 it is...I've been watching videos...reading reviews....nothing but good things to say about it.....like u mentioned if I did dunk it...I'll just rinse it with fresh water...then after the trip I'll clean it up.....I'll buy some grease for it...or what do you recommend to maintaine the reel?

HuyFishin
07-15-2020, 05:00 PM
I usually have all my reels services at The Reel Doctor. I suggest asking the reel doctor what oil and grease he recommends since he is an actual Daiwa service center.

One thing The Reel Doctor did suggest to me was not to just rinse it. Fill the sink up with water and dunk your hole reel right in for a minute. Take it out and shake it dry. the next time you head out then give it a good dab of oil in the crucial areas and it should continue to run like butter.

happyfisher
07-15-2020, 05:04 PM
Thanks soooooo much....I'll get a pro to clean it.....

Now I just gotta figure out...4500 or 4000...LOL

Tnx

Happy

mlee
07-15-2020, 05:31 PM
are we talking about the Daiwa reel??

Yes

EZM
07-15-2020, 05:40 PM
Many people do dunk the BG in the ocean by accident, (must rinse off once done.) just dont reel while its dunked in the water to take up sand. No reel should be dunked even the 600 dollar shimanos or daiwas should not be dunked. They are still built to be rinsed after. The next step up from the daiwa BG will be the Daiwa Saltist. Its literally the same reel except the saltist has sealed bearings. Not worth the extra cost because u can buy 2 Daiwa BG's for the cost of one saltist. Many guys catching Sharks from shore with the BG no problems as long as its rinsed after each trip.

If you truly want a reel that can be dunked and reeled in the water then you're gonna be looking at a Van stall which can be dunked and reeled in salt. BUT! You're gonna be paying upwards of 1000 dollars for this piece of art.

I'm not an expert in salt water, but I get out a fair amount to the salt and I have dunked, dropped, forgot to rinse and abused my Abu Garcia REVO Premier in the salt and have zero issue.

100% aluminum body and 100% stainless steel internals and bearings. There no materials on that entire reel that are poorly suited to a corrosive environment like the salt (and maybe that's why it's pricey). Of course the salt will oxidize everything eventually, but mild steel parts and standard magnesium reel bodies probably don't do as well maybe.

Unfortunately this reel is $300+ so does not meet the OP's budget criteria.

Here's my opinion, but maybe I'm wrong, People use spinning reels in salt water all the time and they are not nearly as fragile as I'm reading on these posts - maybe I've just been damn lucky.

I do, however, give it a pretty good rinse and some graphite lube - I can't believe all those people fishing on the ocean with spinning reels are taking any better care of their gear compared to what I do.

Coiloil37
07-15-2020, 05:49 PM
This exercise would be a lot easier if you told us what your expecting to catch and how far you’ve got to throw it out in the surf.

Are you catching small fish in the gutters 30m off the beach that can be handled with 200m of line and <10kg or drag or something different? You need a different rod for sharks then you do for trevally.

I don’t surf fish so I’m leaving that to others although I see a ton of guys doing it. I do fish the salt and you’ve got to take care of your gear or it all fails. Reals need to be rinsed when brought home. I’ve yet to see any manufacturer suggest to dunk the reel in fresh water so I’m certainly going to avoid that practice. Personally I go through my reels about every two months to inspect and grease them. Two months is about 100 hours of fishing for me and it’s simply an arbitrary number, not set in stone. I had a bearing fail on me just after fighting a marlin a few months ago and I was certainly happy it failed after the fish not during but reel maintenance is crucial if it’s being used much.
If your only going to use it every year or two and pay someone to service it that’s your own prerogative but it’s pretty simple to service a reel and Alan Tani has excellent instructions for (most?) a lot of reels.
I fish with guys who run the daiwa saltist, personally I use the saragosa for pitching slugs but both will run you around $300 new for the reel. I’ve picked up a few gosa’s used in the $200 range. I’ve also used the penn spinfisher on a mates boat and it was “ok”.

The rod needs change depending on the fish your planning on catching as well. Fixed guides work for small fish who don’t make long runs. I haven’t seen a penn rod yet that I would put in my boat but again it depends what your fishing for.

The other side of your equation is the fact you bought cheap last time and now your doing it again. Personally I would rather buy quality the first time and take care of it. It’ll last you a lifetime and if you decide to sell it you’ll get most of your money back. I find if I buy used when I go to sell it I usually get all of my money back.

happyfisher
07-16-2020, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the help...the Daiwa BG is the winner....now off to cabelas or Bass pro to look ar rods and get a good braid.

Tnx all

Happy