PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota copilot issues.

Kurt505
07-14-2020, 05:32 PM
My copilot has left the cockpit I think.

As soon ass I power up the motor it will rotate 360 degrees then nothing. The remote won’t work. If I plug in the foot pedal it works fine. Anyone have this issue before?

huntsfurfish
07-14-2020, 05:56 PM
Battery ok on the remote?

huntsfurfish
07-14-2020, 05:57 PM
Might have to pair motor to remote again?

Coiloil37
07-14-2020, 06:13 PM
Plenty of reset options on the web, just google it.

Kurt505
07-14-2020, 06:21 PM
Battery ok on the remote?

First thing I did was swap out the battery.

How do I pair them? Should I google it?

This is the remote I have

https://i.imgur.com/VNW1EQ7.jpg

TROLLER
07-14-2020, 06:38 PM
You might need a new remote, Cabella has them.

Kurt505
07-14-2020, 06:49 PM
My motor is the power drive model, I think the v1?

EZM
07-14-2020, 08:13 PM
My motor is the power drive model, I think the v1?

Yeah, if it were me, I'd look it on the Googler on how to pair it, try it out and see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't fix it, change battery in the remote and repeat the pairing.

And if that doesn't work, then I'd call MinnKota and see if they have any ideas before I spend too much money on buying a new remote - they might know.

**** I am assuming you gave the wires and obvious stuff a quick look and once over.

Found this ......

To pair your Micro remote, please follow these steps:

Power up the trolling motor.

Push and hold the learn or pair button down on trolling motor head. ...

While continuing to hold the learn or pair button, push and hold the High Speed Bypass and AutoPilot keys simultaneously on micro remote for up to 3 seconds.

Kurt505
07-14-2020, 08:27 PM
Yeah, of it were me, I'd look it up on how to pair it, try it out and see if that fixes it.

Then change battery and repeat the pairing.

And if that doesn't work, then I'd call MinnKota and see if they have any ideas before I spend too much money - they might know.

**** I am assuming you gave the wires and obvious stuff a quick look and once over.

Those instructions must be for a newer model, I don’t think I have a “learn” button on mine.

Ya, I googled it, it doesn’t say you have to pair it. I’m by no means any type of minn Kota mechanic but it seems to me there is something wrong with the receiver unit. I bought a new battery at the beginning of the season, then put another new battery in when it stopped working. The motor works fine with the pedal it’s just when I hook up the copilot that things go wonky.

I was literally using it in the afternoon, **** it off for about 4 hours, then when I went to use it the next time, as soon as I hooked up the power, the motor rotated 1 or 2 revolutions by itself then nothing. It would not respond to the remote at all. I’ll add it never rained or anything like that in between time.

Habfan
07-14-2020, 08:44 PM
I

huntsfurfish
07-14-2020, 08:45 PM
Sorry Kurt was out for a bit.

Try this.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faqs/how-do-you-program-and-learn-copilot-remote#:~:text=Press%20and%20hold%20the%20LEARN,pr ogramming%20is%20valid%20and%20complete.)

huntsfurfish
07-14-2020, 08:48 PM
I dont have mine anymore but if I remember right there is a cable to your motor with the copilot mounted on the side of the motor try unplugging from the motor then plug in again and hold any button down for 5 seconds or so. But I think there is a learn button on the motor mount copilot for learning.

Edit: Note This is on the side plate marked copilot of the side of your motor not the head.

huntsfurfish
07-14-2020, 09:20 PM
Here is a manual.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faqs/how-do-you-program-and-learn-copilot-remote#:~:text=Press%20and%20hold%20the%20LEARN,pr ogramming%20is%20valid%20and%20complete.)

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/sites/johnsonoutdoors-store/files/assets/misc/MI/M/MIN_productmanual_CoPilot-PDV2/MIN_productmanual_CoPilot-PDV2.pdf

Page 5 shows where the learn button is on the side of the motor.

Kurt505
07-14-2020, 11:03 PM
Here is a manual.

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/sites/johnsonoutdoors-store/files/assets/misc/MI/M/MIN_productmanual_CoPilot-PDV2/MIN_productmanual_CoPilot-PDV2.pdf

Page 5 shows where the learn button is on the side of the motor.

Thank you for this, I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately I think my copilot’s pooched. There was no audible tone when I held in the button, when I hook the foot pedal up directly to the motor it works, but when I hook it up to the copilot it doesn’t work. I’m going to have to see if it’s worth fixing or if I have to buy a new unit.

huntsfurfish
07-14-2020, 11:29 PM
Thank you for this, I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately I think my copilot’s pooched. There was no audible tone when I held in the button, when I hook the foot pedal up directly to the motor it works, but when I hook it up to the copilot it doesn’t work. I’m going to have to see if it’s worth fixing or if I have to buy a new unit.

Happy to help. Hope it works out so you can get back on the water. Can you borrow someones remote and see if its the remote?

Im trying to remember if there was a fuse that could be the culprit too.. I know there is in the head but I think that only causes issues with Ipilots.

Still might be worth trying someones remote.

Also did you check unplugging from the motor and plugging it back in?

Anyway good luck!

Kurt505
07-15-2020, 01:51 PM
Well the copilot is toast. $130 for the board and $240 for the copilot. I’m just going to buy a terrova with an i-pilot. If anyone wants a good bow mount trolling motor with auto pilot and foot control make me an offer and it’s yours. 70lb thrust and I think it’s a 60” shaft. Talked to the reel doctor, he quoted me those prices for a new copilot to add to it.

Whitetail200
07-15-2020, 02:32 PM
Well the copilot is toast. $130 for the board and $240 for the copilot. I’m just going to buy a terrova with an i-pilot. If anyone wants a good bow mount trolling motor with auto pilot and foot control make me an offer and it’s yours. 70lb thrust and I think it’s a 60” shaft. Talked to the reel doctor, he quoted me those prices for a new copilot to add to it.

Sucks about your motor but Terrova i pilot is a nice unit , are you looking at the one with spot lock , jog feature etc . Little expensive but performs well. Has combo , remote control & foot pedal .

huntsfurfish
07-15-2020, 03:22 PM
I dont think you will be disappointed with the ipilot.:)

SamSteele
07-15-2020, 07:28 PM
What sonar are you running Kurt?

Kurt505
07-15-2020, 07:37 PM
What sonar are you running Kurt?

I just have a lowrance hd7 or something like that, nothing too fancy.

SamSteele
07-15-2020, 07:41 PM

Those are good units. If it was a Bird I would have suggested looking at the i-Pilot Link so you could control it from your sonar, but save your money if you run a Lowrance.

Whitetail200
07-15-2020, 08:12 PM

the minn-kota terrova i-pilot bow mount BT , not disappointed with this unit has performed well , I-pilot remote comes paired to controller from the factory & also comes with a heading sensor . Pair Sensor with motor on the water . Heading sensor provides heading info to a Bluetooth compatible I-pilot equipped Minn Kota motor . Contains a compass that senses the boats heading .Heading is used by I-pilot for navigation features such as spot-lock jog .Doesn't contain GPS receiver or change or control the orientation of the boat . Heading sensor only communicate with other Bluetooth compatible Minn Kota products. Nice thing is it has both remote & foot pedal so if one or the other fails for some reason you still have back up to continue fishing . Kurt if you do invest in this one mount the sensor in a spot where it won't get broke & follow manual for setup & you should be ok . In manual it looks worse than it is for setting up & pairing , I'm not a Tecky or computer whiz by any means but made out ok for setup . Cheers