PDA

View Full Version : Kananaskis

NKP
07-15-2020, 03:18 PM
Hi guys, I'll be camping in Kananaskis in early August. I've never fished in the area, so looking for good beginner water that may give some action. I'll have a fly rod I'm learning on and a reeled rod, no boat. Any suggestions appreciated.

CardiacCowboy
07-16-2020, 12:34 AM
K country is pretty big so where you are staying would be helpful. Sibald meadows pond is in area. Stocked a while back and still some large hold overs from other years last time I was there about a month ago. Shore line can be a bit wet at places but not a lot of trees around it so have seen a lot of begginer fly guys there.

NKP
07-16-2020, 05:23 PM
Staying at Boulton Creek campground.

Scott N
07-16-2020, 05:35 PM
Sparrow's Egg Lake and Rawson Lake are both in that area, both require hikes, but Rawson is a very nice lake scenery-wise, and the fishing can be pretty good. It' gets pretty busy with hikers though.

You could also try fishing Lower K Lake from shore, a decent spot is where Kent Creek flows into the lake near the Peninsula Day use area (more or less right across from the boat launch.

stob
07-16-2020, 08:25 PM
Lotsa fish on the beaver pond along the k-river...I always accessed it via the power line road from the youth hostel

NKP
07-16-2020, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Unclerj
07-20-2020, 01:07 PM
Rawson in closed due to grizzly activity right now. You might want to check out Elbow Lake too, although we just saw a young grizz in the parking lot last night......

slough shark
07-20-2020, 01:23 PM
There are grizzlies around I’d say most trails in k country on a daily basis, they’re everywhere out there in high numbers, to close down trails because of their presence is silly. If the bear is showing aggression that’s a different story but I’d say the solution to that is a little different than the government’s suggestion.