PDA

View Full Version : Magic Emerald Shiners

ArchersArrow
07-17-2020, 08:56 AM
Hey all

So the company website is useless so I'm reaching out hoping someone has some experiance. I keep my gear in my car because sometimes I can't sleep and go night/early morning fishing.

Can I keep the shiners in my vehicle or will the heat ruin them?

Vapor
07-17-2020, 09:14 AM
Hey all

So the company website is useless so I'm reaching out hoping someone has some experiance. I keep my gear in my car because sometimes I can't sleep and go night/early morning fishing.

Can I keep the shiners in my vehicle or will the heat ruin them?

Best to spend $20 and get a tiny cooler and a decent sized reusable ice pack. You don't (at least I don't) want rotten, mushy, and unusable bait when you go to grab one. They work best fresh. I use this one with an ice pack, stays cool all day if you don't set it directly in the sun. $20

Pikeonafly
07-17-2020, 09:16 AM
If ur rich... yeti

robimus
07-17-2020, 09:18 AM
God the smell of those things ! Not in my truck!keep em froze .

ArchersArrow
07-17-2020, 09:55 AM
They store keeps them on the shelf at the store. They have no smell unless you open the bag lol. Just wondering if they would go bad in the car or if I keep em in the storage room.

They are not fresh minnows

trigger7mm
07-17-2020, 11:57 AM
Keep them out of the heat. Have you had much luck using them?

Justfishin73
07-17-2020, 01:12 PM
Best to spend $20 and get a tiny cooler and a decent sized reusable ice pack. You don't (at least I don't) want rotten, mushy, and unusable bait when you go to grab one. They work best fresh. I use this one with an ice pack, stays cool all day if you don't set it directly in the sun. $20

This, don't waste your time with that fake crap

WayneChristie
07-17-2020, 02:41 PM
anything with the word Magic or Miracle in the name is only meant to catch one thing and it aint the fish :bad_boys_20:

Rick.
07-21-2020, 07:25 PM
I'm in the High River to Vulcan area. This year I've only been able to source "Evergreen frozen emerald shiners" while in previous years I've been using minnows labeled "Candle Lake" I've already had two tubs of the Evergreen minnows that were in awful shape. They were in such poor condition they should have been labeled as " suitable for chum only". One tub purchased in High River and one at Vulcan petroCan. Never thawed prior to use and kept in a small cooler with an ice pack. Evergreens website on the label doesn't work and I contacted candle lake and got no reply. This is very disappointing when your on the lake and discover your minnows are junk. Lucky I carry some gulp minnows and crawlers. My brother in law said he got a similar tub fro the Vulcan petrocan. Anyone else having issues and do you know if Candle Lake minnows are available?

trigger7mm
07-21-2020, 07:51 PM
Candle lake shiners always were sub par at best.

Talking moose
07-21-2020, 07:55 PM
I'm in the High River to Vulcan area. This year I've only been able to source "Evergreen frozen emerald shiners" while in previous years I've been using minnows labeled "Candle Lake" I've already had two tubs of the Evergreen minnows that were in awful shape. They were in such poor condition they should have been labeled as " suitable for chum only". One tub purchased in High River and one at Vulcan petroCan. Never thawed prior to use and kept in a small cooler with an ice pack. Evergreens website on the label doesn't work and I contacted candle lake and got no reply. This is very disappointing when your on the lake and discover your minnows are junk. Lucky I carry some gulp minnows and crawlers. My brother in law said he got a similar tub fro the Vulcan petrocan. Anyone else having issues and do you know if Candle Lake minnows are available?

Container they come in is great. The minnows suck. Yes.

calgarygringo
07-21-2020, 08:29 PM
I have to agree. My fishing partner brought some out a friend from Sask brought with him and left for us. They were the worst. Candle Lakes are way better. I still like Parkers the best and continue to use them.

Rick.
07-21-2020, 08:58 PM
I'm not aware of Parkers. Do you know if they are available around High River?

Rick.
07-21-2020, 09:05 PM
Container they come in is great. The minnows suck. Yes.

That's right. They are great containers. I think they use a hydronic ram to pack the minnows though.

calgarygringo
07-22-2020, 07:33 AM
I doubt it. They are hard to find around these parts most of the time. I know a guy that knows a guy and I pick them up from him in my work travels. If you can find them grab as many of you can and you will never want to use those other minnows again.

I'm not aware of Parkers. Do you know if they are available around High River?

58thecat
07-22-2020, 07:52 AM
keep them on ice in a cooler….or they will become mush but makes for great cracker dip.:)

58thecat
07-22-2020, 07:54 AM
Keep them out of the heat. Have you had much luck using them?

I picked up a bunch on the wk-end....42 eyes and 4 pike...caught and released...great 5 hrs on the yak.

trapperdodge
07-22-2020, 11:38 PM
I bought a tub of Evergreen emerald shiners at CT. They were unusable. Rotten.

I'll never buy another pack. I've had pretty good luck with Candle Lake shiners

Fishtracker
07-23-2020, 08:19 AM
Complete opposite experience for me. The last few years, had to search high and low for anything besides those Candle Lake shinners. Always tried to find the emerald shinners as they have always been in much better shape after they warm up. Must be some poor batches this year.

Usually sprinkle some Kosher salt on them and shake container before letting them thaw out, helps alot.

HuyFishin
07-23-2020, 09:02 AM
I stopped buying candle lake shiners. It just seemed like a waste of money.
Parker minnows can be found. You just how to know the right people for some darn reason.

As for magic emerald shiners. I have actually had good success with it. nice and firm and not mushy. Cought myself a bunch of eyes with them not long ago.

Kings
07-25-2020, 01:10 PM
I got emerald shiners from CT and it is totally unusable. Mushy and can't stay on the hooks at all. Throw them away and bought candle lake shiners. They are ok and caught some eyes.
Have you guys noticed that the price of minnows going upwards year by year. One tub costs around $6 and hardly around 25 to 30 minnows in it. One minnow cost around 20cents. To me it is ridiculous for dead minnows.🤭
Cheers

HuyFishin
07-25-2020, 02:20 PM
I got emerald shiners from CT and it is totally unusable. Mushy and can't stay on the hooks at all. Throw them away and bought candle lake shiners. They are ok and caught some eyes.
Have you guys noticed that the price of minnows going upwards year by year. One tub costs around $6 and hardly around 25 to 30 minnows in it. One minnow cost around 20cents. To me it is ridiculous for dead minnows.🤭
Cheers

Quite normal I would say. Everything will always increase and never decrease.