PDA

View Full Version : Lund boat floor repair

kinwahkly
07-21-2020, 12:29 PM
Long story short boat got punctured by trailer thru the floor. Any suggestions in where to take for repairs ? Thanks.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/skh8mX8JAZUX1xPF8

58thecat
07-21-2020, 12:35 PM
JB Weld..do the repair yourself....fixed a few aluminum boats up to and including green duck tape in a pinch....good luck.

Jayhad
07-21-2020, 01:49 PM
Dang those riveted hulls are thin.
1) Put a 2x4 on the other side, 2x4 on this side and gently tap it down with a hammer.
2)Find a competent welder to tig it.

Freedom55
07-21-2020, 02:28 PM
Dang those riveted hulls are thin.
1) Put a 2x4 on the other side, 2x4 on this side and gently tap it down with a hammer.
2)Find a competent welder to tig it.

This, except let the welder move the medal.

eagleflyfisher
07-21-2020, 07:58 PM
Long story short boat got punctured by trailer thru the floor. Any suggestions in where to take for repairs ? Thanks.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/skh8mX8JAZUX1xPF8

Iron aero marine

EZM
07-21-2020, 08:18 PM
Yeah I'd weld it if you know someone but he's gotta pretty good on that thinner sheet as it's going to take someone with some experience.

You could also flatten it, JB weld it, and even add a little plate - with proper rivets and seal those up.

Depending on your budget and if you care if there's a little leak or not. Only a weld can guarantee it's 100% waterproof. JB might do it, probably will, but who knows over the long run. I have successfully used it on some really bad cracks and separations and it was 100% dry on a boat and had complete failures on really small and easy holes using JB.

jungleboy
07-21-2020, 09:52 PM
When I used to work for Arctec alloys we had a product for soldering aluminum. I used to demo it by punching a half inch hole in the bottom of a pop an and soldering it shut with a propane torch and the soldering material. Worked very well as long as you followed procedure.

Arctec Alloys is located in the north end of Calgary just off Hwy 2 . Give them a call and ask for. A tech rep. They will help you out.

BUSHRVN
07-22-2020, 08:16 AM
Like already said, maybe get a small piece and rivet it in after flattening it out, then maybe put some Eternabond tape over it on the outside? I've added a small roll of Eternabond tape to my little tool box that I keep on my boat because it could seriously get me out of trouble it I was out on the river and got a hole from a rock or something like that. I've been using this stuff on everything lately, I love the stuff. Once it touches, you're not moving it again. It's meant for RV roof repair and it's worth the money.
Kind of a Red Green fix though.

kinwahkly
07-23-2020, 06:28 PM
Took it to Iron Areo . Highly recommended.

pikergolf
07-23-2020, 06:32 PM
Took it to Iron Areo . Highly recommended.

Did they weld it or rivet it?

kinwahkly
07-23-2020, 07:26 PM
They are going to weld it.

Osky
07-23-2020, 08:04 PM
Good move. The annealing can be the tricky part on that.

Osky

OL_JR
07-23-2020, 08:45 PM
I think welding is the way to go, even though it's going to be light aluminum if you get someone who knows what they are doing it will last. I used to have an old Harbercraft tinner that was ridiculously light aluminum.
Long story short a hole very similar to yours got punched in it and after a good weld job ran that boat for another 10 years with no issues before it got sold.

kinwahkly
07-26-2020, 04:15 PM
So it's at Iron Areo now. What a mess going up that Spray lakes road the last year and a half. Just a reminder for newbies like me always check and recheck straps etc on the boat. So the front strap came loose or wasn't tightened enough band the back straps also were to loose so the boat basically bounced up and down on the trailer . One of the numbers also came loose and one of the metal brackets came thru the boat. Lessoned learned.