PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Stella

mooseknuckle
07-21-2020, 01:19 PM
Just wondering if anyone owns one of these reels? Pretty hefty price tag. Just looking for some reviews.

HuyFishin
07-21-2020, 03:08 PM
Most I could ever afford would be a shimano twin power. If you ever see me with a STELLA then this means I made it. Ive tried some of the older generation stellas. Buttery smooth and words cant exactly describe it. Since most already think any stradic is already buttery smooth.

Walleyedude
07-21-2020, 03:32 PM
I've got a Stella 2000 I bought about 5 years ago now.

It's an INCREDIBLE reel. There's really no comparison out there that I've ever tried. If it's in your budget, you'll never be disappointed with a Stella. Quite simply, it's the best spinning reel you can buy. The design quality and the handmade in Japan craftsmanship that goes into them is on another level.

Having said all that, I likely won't ever buy another one LOL. Most of the technology that makes my Stella so impressive is now available on the Stradic FL and the new Vanford, or on the Sustain. I would say that the new Stradic FL is 80-90% as good as my Stella, at about 1/3 of the cost. The new Vanford should be even better for only a few bucks more. It's pretty hard to justify Stella money when the Stradic/Vanford are so good now. In terms of bang for your buck, I don't think either one of those options can be beat.

EZM
07-21-2020, 10:34 PM
I also got a Stella for father's day (or maybe my birthday) about 5 or 6 years ago. It's the reel that sits on my favorite med action longer spinning rod I use for casting long bombs into the river or when I need/want a longer rod.

I love it, it's spectacular. It's casts a mile, has silky drag, super tight, light, and buttery. It's like a rolls royce.

Having said that, my favorite spinning reels are half that price - the higher top of the line Abu Garcia REVO lines and they don't get much over $500 at the top end of the line and I will usually only spend that if I can get it on sale for a few hundred bucks off. AG's have the best drag of any spinning reel (dollar for dollar) out there and the Stella is smoother yet (admittedly far more expensive).

As surprised and delighted as I was to get this reel, I would not have spent that money on myself - but it sure is a delight to use and have.

If you have the cash, you won't regret it. This is a splurge for the rest of us "regular folks" .... lol.

Even the box, extra drag washers and reel case (none of which have ever been used) was a delight to unpack .......... it was like ....... yup ......... this is what caviar and floe gras is all about....

mooseknuckle
07-22-2020, 10:29 AM
Appreciate the feedback folks, I'm still on the fence...... a lot of money for a reel. But I'm thinking I may treat myself. However I have several Pflueger's that work very well too.

HuyFishin
07-22-2020, 11:31 AM
Its enough to buy a sweet kayak or paddle board

35 whelen
07-22-2020, 12:23 PM
Hi myself that just seems overkill on price how much better could it really be than the best Pflueger or Penn reel

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

HuyFishin
07-22-2020, 01:10 PM
Hi myself that just seems overkill on price how much better could it really be than the best Pflueger or Penn reel

Probably a lot better but its definitely overkill for anything in Alberta. But hey! I guess if the OP wants to treat himself then I would say why not :sHa_shakeshout: life is short and you wont take your money with you when you're gone so why not right? haha

35 whelen
07-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Probably a lot better but its definitely overkill for anything in Alberta. But hey! I guess if the OP wants to treat himself then I would say why not :sHa_shakeshout: life is short and you wont take your money with you when you're gone so why not right? hahaI treat myself all the time just bought a Garmin 66i still not finished got to buy the bush map, my kids tell me to plan for retirement I'm tell them I'm living it now.

Kurt505
07-22-2020, 02:24 PM
I’ve got a couple stellas, a 2500 and a 3000, the 2500 sits on my old original Shimano crucial 6’6” and the 3000 sits on my 7’ conquest 842. They’re nice reels, I’ve also got a Sustain 3000, I think it’s the FG which is also a nice reel, it sits on my Loomis 7’1” walleye 8500, but the reel that reelly (notice they pun) impressed me is my diawa certate that I have on my Loomis IMX 6’6” walleye universal. That reel is as smooth as my stellas, maybe a touch heavier but half the price.

southernman
07-22-2020, 03:50 PM
I've used one quite a bit, a Stella 14000 in the sea for kingfish and tuna, I also own a twin power 4000 (next step down) and a Sustain 8000 (i think)
These are the finest reels you will come across, rebuildable and repairable, very smooth drags, however for most fishing not really necessary, its only when you tied into the most powerful of fish, that such expensive reels/drags are truly important. If you can afford it i doubt you be disappointed, if your targeting very powerful fish on light gear, likely give an added advantage.
I've had kingfish, Mako sharks and tuna seize reels, and get them so hot that drag is jersey and no longer smooth, this is Stella country.
I was able to get parts for my old 14000, that's must be near 20 years old, i bought it second hand, for a few hundred many years ago, pretty good life span for a reel used in salt water.

Osky
07-22-2020, 08:36 PM
I agree with EZ on the Revo’s but recently the Stradics are my favorite at that price point. That would be the poor guide price point.

Osky

thorne
07-22-2020, 10:58 PM
I drink a lot of Stella....worth the price in my opinion....Im sure the reel is the same!:scared0018:

Kurt505
07-23-2020, 06:20 AM
I've used one quite a bit, a Stella 14000 in the sea for kingfish and tuna, I also own a twin power 4000 (next step down) and a Sustain 8000 (i think)
These are the finest reels you will come across, rebuildable and repairable, very smooth drags, however for most fishing not really necessary, its only when you tied into the most powerful of fish, that such expensive reels/drags are truly important. If you can afford it i doubt you be disappointed, if your targeting very powerful fish on light gear, likely give an added advantage.
I've had kingfish, Mako sharks and tuna seize reels, and get them so hot that drag is jersey and no longer smooth, this is Stella country.
I was able to get parts for my old 14000, that's must be near 20 years old, i bought it second hand, for a few hundred many years ago, pretty good life span for a reel used in salt water.

If you’re talking about the Sustain I sold you it’s a 5000 but has the big knob so you can really crank on it. Sweet reel.

ABDUKNUT
07-23-2020, 11:32 AM
Would be silly to buy and use for any fishing in Alberta. It’s main features and design has nothing to do with winding smoothly, casting far or weight, or anything to do with freshwater fishing such as in Alberta. You could buy a dozen Nasci’s for the cost of one Stella, which would be an equally good reel for 100% of fishing here.

Kurt505
07-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Would be silly to buy and use for any fishing in Alberta. It’s main features and design has nothing to do with winding smoothly, casting far or weight, or anything to do with freshwater fishing such as in Alberta. You could buy a dozen Nasci’s for the cost of one Stella, which would be an equally good reel for 100% of fishing here.

Lol, the nasci is a decent reel, but it doesn’t hold a candle to performance of a stradic, never mind a Stella. Casting is the only field of performance that the nacsi can compete, that’s because it has more to do with the rod than the reel.

I could buy 10 Chevy sparks for the price of on Chevy 2500 duramax, but that won’t do me any good for that one time I have to haul a trailer. 99% of my driving is without trailers but I’d still rather have a truck that’s capable of driving 100% of the time. The drag is not even comparable between the two, Stella is way smoother to reel and it’s about 2oz lighter if you compare 2500’s, and yes the Stella is sealed so it’s good to go in the salt.

ABDUKNUT
07-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Yeah you bet, but I only meant for fishing here in Alberta. I don’t own any Stradic or Sustain any more but I do have/ have had 08, 2013 and 2019 Stella SW HG and PG, also Saragosa SW and Spheros SW reels in sizes from 3000 up to 20k. I also have spools for big ones that cost more than a 3000 or 4000 size Stradic. I personally prefer Shimano reels over anything else on the market, including Daiwa, Accurate, etc so no point in comparing them in this context. I assumed this thread was specifically about walleye and pike fishing here in Alberta, for which a Nasci or Stradic I think would be an equally good and way less expensive option than a Stella.

ABDUKNUT
07-23-2020, 12:35 PM
IMost of the technology that makes my Stella so impressive is now available on the Stradic FL and the new Vanford, or on the Sustain. I would say that the new Stradic FL is 80-90% as good as my Stella, at about 1/3 of the cost.

You are absolutely correct; in fact they are 90% the same reel, in that size.

ABDUKNUT
07-23-2020, 06:28 PM
I could buy 10 Chevy sparks for the price of on Chevy 2500 duramax, but that won’t do me any good for that one time I have to haul a trailer. 99% of my driving is without trailers but I’d still rather have a truck that’s capable of driving 100% of the time. The drag is not even comparable between the two, Stella is way smoother to reel and it’s about 2oz lighter if you compare 2500’s, and yes the Stella is sealed so it’s good to go in the salt.

Good analogy but the chances of you hooking into a 200lb YFT or tarpon while fishing in the lake for walleye are non-existent.

That said, if a trip to warm saltwater is visible in the near future, invest in the Stella, you won’t regret it. You could very easily spend more money on various lesser reels and be far less satisfied in the end.

If weight of the reel is important to you, I suggest you visit a retailer that sells all the different models to compare them; Shimano is notorious for either lying or just supplying incorrect specs on their website.

EZM
07-23-2020, 06:43 PM
I think a few of you made the KEY POINT here .....

If you were to do what my wife did, and bought a "regular sized" reel for my "regular trout, pike and walleye" fishing it's likely not going to be tested to the point where you will see a describable difference over another mid to high end Abu Garcia or Shimano ($250-$500) reels.

But, if you need a performance reel - to target some real tough conditions - then this reel is the ticket.

SamSteele
07-23-2020, 07:45 PM
I can wear a Timex Ironman watch and keep time, but I like something a little more stylish and well built. Both keep time fine, but one is far more expensive than the other.

I look at reels the same way. There are a lot of reels that will get the job done perfectly fine, but sometimes you get joy out of using a high performing piece. I don’t own a Stella, but I know that I enjoy using my Stradic Ci4+ reels more than my Symetres and Saros. All are perfectly fine reels for fish around here, but there’s something pleasing about using a nicer reel.

Osky
07-23-2020, 08:01 PM
I can wear a Timex Ironman watch and keep time, but I like something a little more stylish and well built. Both keep time fine, but one is far more expensive than the other.

I look at reels the same way. There are a lot of reels that will get the job done perfectly fine, but sometimes you get joy out of using a high performing piece. I don’t own a Stella, but I know that I enjoy using my Stradic Ci4+ reels more than my Symetres and Saros. All are perfectly fine reels for fish around here, but there’s something pleasing about using a nicer reel.

Well put Sam.

Osky

southernman
07-23-2020, 08:46 PM
If you’re talking about the Sustain I sold you it’s a 5000 but has the big knob so you can really crank on it. Sweet reel.

Haven't used it much yet, couple outings for Kawahi, coho sized fish, pull string a bit better, first impression are its a nice reel, but i reserve judgment untill its had a dozen trips in the salt.

Diawia BG are another fantastic reel for the money, not quite as impervise to water as Sustain, Stella, twin power,
but this isnt very important in freshwater,
Ive got a 6000, 4500, 4000, 2500 and am really impressed, got most of Amazon
for lesss than 150 bucks,

Coiloil37
07-23-2020, 08:58 PM
Haven't used it much yet, couple outings for Kawahi, coho sized fish, pull string a bit better, first impression are its a nice reel, but i reserve judgment untill its had a dozen trips in the salt.

Diawia BG are another fantastic reel for the money, not quite as impervise to water as Sustain, Stella, twin power,
but this isnt very important in freshwater,
Ive got a 6000, 4500, 4000, 2500 and am really impressed, got most of Amazon
for lesss than 150 bucks,

How do you go on big fish with a spinning reel? I had a 20k gosa set up for a pitch bait rig last summer. After the first marlin on that rod/reel I sold it and set my pitch bait up on an overhead. I’m of the opinion you’ll only catch one real fish on a spinning reel but it sounds like your the exception to my rule if your chasing big tuna with them.

My spinning setups are now smaller and I‘ll use them on stuff up to about 30kg.

EZM
07-23-2020, 09:37 PM

There you go AGAIN making perfect sense of a good discussion !!!!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

I don't always drink beer, but when I do ........

as opposed to .......

Hold my Beer ...... Watch this !!!!!!!!

southernman
07-23-2020, 10:09 PM
How do you go on big fish with a spinning reel? I had a 20k gosa set up for a pitch bait rig last summer. After the first marlin on that rod/reel I sold it and set my pitch bait up on an overhead. I’m of the opinion you’ll only catch one real fish on a spinning reel but it sounds like your the exception to my rule if your chasing big tuna with them.

My spinning setups are now smaller and I‘ll use them on stuff up to about 30kg.

For the most part i am targeting tuna,(abacore, skipjack) kingfish, snapper etc in the 20-30kg range, with baitcast or spinning reels, cut bait, stray-lining or general trolling plugs or spoons
I take a game reel 24kg or 37kg class, if targeting Marlin, blue fin tuna or sharks.
However I happily throw lures at big tuna, marlin, with the spinning type reel if thats all I've got with me,
Ive not managed to hold a striped marlin, hooked two, but I've got a few 70-80kg sharks to the boat and a 50kg yellowfin tuna,
mostly this is a time consuming painful experience, with the fish towing the boat around, and me holding a rod that dosnt fit a gimble, into my thigh, stomach or hip, or all three for a hour or so.

Coiloil37
07-23-2020, 10:29 PM
For the most part i am targeting tuna,(abacore, skipjack) kingfish, snapper etc in the 20-30kg range, with baitcast or spinning reels, cut bait, stray-lining or general trolling plugs or spoons
I take a game reel 24kg or 37kg class, if targeting Marlin, blue fin tuna or sharks.
However I happily throw lures at big tuna, marlin, with the spinning type reel if thats all I've got with me,
Ive not managed to hold a striped marlin, hooked two, but I've got a few 70-80kg sharks to the boat and a 50kg yellowfin tuna,
mostly this is a time consuming painful experience, with the fish towing the boat around, and me holding a rod that dosnt fit a gimble, into my thigh, stomach or hip, or all three for a hour or so.

Pretty well mirrors what I thought/found. Spinning rods/reels are great on the little stuff and less comfortable on the big girls. My spinning setup had a gimble butt and I used my belt but it still left a lot to be desired on a overhead.

OL_JR
07-23-2020, 11:30 PM
On these gear threads I always wonder how Daiwa seems to get perpetually left out of the mix for an option. Now I'm a firm believer that a variety of reel manufacturers do a good job on reels in that mid to high price point. I'm not hyper partisan towards one manufacturer. With that said.

On the lower end of reels like I've had through Shimano, Abu, Quantum, they are junk. And I mean complete junk. I've had gear failures, drags go completely haywire and on an abu one arm on the rotor just randomly break, twice.

Never had a problem with a Daiwa reel and I have lower end reels on their end to mid priced reels like the Tatula. They all work good all the time.

My point is from what I've experienced I'd rather support a company that has treated me well throughout their product lineup than just the ones that seem to do ok if you want to spend the bucks.

58thecat
07-24-2020, 05:56 AM
I drink a lot of Stella....worth the price in my opinion....Im sure the reel is the same!:scared0018:

I spent a lot of money on a girl named Stella.....probably the same price tag as the reel:scared0018:

pikergolf
07-24-2020, 06:04 AM
A Stella is a want not a need. Big deal, a guy reaches a certain age and income bracket and wants nice stuff. Oh well. I am aspiring for a Stradic FL, I have the age down, but not the income bracket LOL. Still like nice stuff. I totally get having an oh so smooth..... anything, actually.