View Full Version : Barracuda caught in British Columbia

HuyFishin
07-22-2020, 09:45 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5651003

Mind blowing

Brandonkop
07-22-2020, 09:59 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5651003

Mind blowingNot really that mind blowing in my opinion. The pacific ocean is a continuous body of water and fish can swim where they want. Usually just temperature dependent. We have albacore tuna off our west coast every summer and probably many other pelagics that don't even get caught because of lower numbers. This is not the barracuda people think of that you see in florida or the Caribbean. These baraccuuda are very common in California, even northern cali. So it isnt that much more of a stretch to get here. They released it so he is still out there. I remember watching sport fishing charter boats haul these in over the rails in cali out by Dana Point. One after another wiggly snakes.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Spudnut
07-22-2020, 10:07 AM
Interesting, had no idea. Thanks for the info.

SNAPFisher
07-22-2020, 10:14 AM
Heard rumour of this when were just on the Island. My wife thought it was just a rumour but seems this is legit.

That is one skinny Cuda! Probably had a tough run to get all the way there.

Salavee
07-22-2020, 10:34 AM
Not really that mind blowing in my opinion. The pacific ocean is a continuous body of water and fish can swim where they want. Usually just temperature dependent. We have albacore tuna off our west coast every summer and probably many other pelagics that don't even get caught because of lower numbers. This is not the barracuda people think of that you see in florida or the Caribbean. These baraccuuda are very common in California, even northern cali. So it isnt that much more of a stretch to get here. They released it so he is still out there. I remember watching sport fishing charter boats haul these in over the rails in cali out by Dana Point. One after another wiggly snakes.

Believe it or not, I have seen a Blue Shark, Flying fish and a Sea Turtle off the west coast of Van Isle. This was during an El Nino current shift to the North some time around 1967 or 68

Brandonkop
07-22-2020, 11:51 AM
Heard rumour of this when were just on the Island. My wife thought it was just a rumour but seems this is legit.

That is one skinny Cuda! Probably had a tough run to get all the way there.It is a long skinny type of fish, not really a skinny one. Looks fat compared to the ones i saw in Cali. This is what the pacific Cudas look like. Maybe you're thinking of the atlantic or Great barracuda which are shaped more like a thick pike.

HuyFishin
07-22-2020, 01:08 PM
This is whats so amazing about fishing the ocean! Just never know what you're going to catch.

Smoky buck
07-22-2020, 02:45 PM
I have heard all kinds of strange fish following the warm currents north but never a cuda

58thecat
07-22-2020, 04:44 PM
great whites have ventured up too....

The Great White Shark (6m) has indeed been spotted in B.C., according to Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Usually arriving from California, they are not common in B.C. as the waters are too cold, but every now and then, one will show up.Jul 30, 2018

Well here's the thing. The great white shark in this picture is a mako, and on the other side of Canada… BUT… great white sharks have been documented off Tofino before.Jun 5, 2019

when I was a kid there was a picture in the news paper of a great white caught in a net...then freakin jaws came out in the movie theatres....dad says lets go boy the coho are running....so am I....haha

SNAPFisher
07-22-2020, 05:21 PM
It is a long skinny type of fish, not really a skinny one. Looks fat compared to the ones i saw in Cali. This is what the pacific Cudas look like. Maybe you're thinking of the atlantic or Great barracuda which are shaped more like a thick pike.

Yep, that makes sense. I'm thinking of the great B. Good call :)

Reeves1
07-23-2020, 04:59 AM
great whites have ventured up too....

The Great White Shark (6m) has indeed been spotted in B.C., according to Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Usually arriving from California, they are not common in B.C. as the waters are too cold, but every now and then, one will show up.Jul 30, 2018

Well here's the thing. The great white shark in this picture is a mako, and on the other side of Canada… BUT… great white sharks have been documented off Tofino before.Jun 5, 2019

when I was a kid there was a picture in the news paper of a great white caught in a net...then freakin jaws came out in the movie theatres....dad says lets go boy the coho are running....so am I....haha

When I lived in Sandspit people told me of two Great Whites that washed up on Massit Beach . The bigger one was 22 '.

Talked with a Bio there (maybe F&W I forget) and was told the area is on their normal migratory route.

Also know of guys that went to the west side of QCI to fish , through that narrow channel. There was an est. 18' one "bugging" the boats being used.
This was in 95-97.

Drewski Canuck
07-23-2020, 07:11 AM
A Cuda is not really that surprising. In "blobb" warm water years, there have been lots of reports of giant sunfish on the surface, of Humboldt (think freaking big) squid washing up on beaches, etc.

This is no more surprising than the reports of Chinook being found in arctic circle rivers on the spawning beds with the Arctic Char. The Chinook that are there are "pioneer" fish that are expanding their range, just like that 'cuda.

Drewski

Brandonkop
07-23-2020, 07:30 PM
A Cuda is not really that surprising. In "blobb" warm water years, there have been lots of reports of giant sunfish on the surface, of Humboldt (think freaking big) squid washing up on beaches, etc.

This is no more surprising than the reports of Chinook being found in arctic circle rivers on the spawning beds with the Arctic Char. The Chinook that are there are "pioneer" fish that are expanding their range, just like that 'cuda.

Drewski

That's really cool. I did not know about the pioneer Chinook. I will have to read about that. So they don't all go back home, some go off the deep end and try it their own way.

Tigrr
07-23-2020, 08:44 PM
In 6 years I caught hundreds of mackerel off the broken group islands near Ucluelet BC. They tasted terrible. Made good crab bait. 1990 to 1996.

Positrac
07-23-2020, 11:53 PM
When I lived in Sandspit people told me of two Great Whites that washed up on Massit Beach . The bigger one was 22 '.

Talked with a Bio there (maybe F&W I forget) and was told the area is on their normal migratory route.

Also know of guys that went to the west side of QCI to fish , through that narrow channel. There was an est. 18' one "bugging" the boats being used.
This was in 95-97.

My parents saw one washed up on the beach in the early 70’s when they lived in Sandspit.