PDA

View Full Version : Maligne Lake Boat/Size?

JBFranklin
07-22-2020, 12:36 PM
I have checked the National Park site for regs, but I can't find anything that speaks to boat and motor size regulations on Maligne Lake? I am sure there must be something like electric only.

Anyone know where I can source this?

UPDATE: found the regs. It's electric and paddle only.

Howard Hutchinson
07-22-2020, 12:39 PM
**COPY/PASTE**
Maligne Lake is open to paddlers and electric motors only. Aside from the tour boats and Parks Canada's rescue boat, gas-powered motors are not allowed on the lake.

JBFranklin
07-22-2020, 12:40 PM
just found that thx...

Deep
07-23-2020, 08:07 AM
I have seen the tourist boat (diesel) warming up before departure- sad sight for a pristine lake that it is.....

thumper
07-24-2020, 03:12 PM
I have seen the tourist boat (diesel) warming up before departure- sad sight for a pristine lake that it is.....

- and how did you travel through the pristine park to get to Maligne Lake ?

EZM
07-24-2020, 03:18 PM

Sure, but I think it's the added "incremental" pollution caused by dozens and dozens of boats burning around.

If you think about Maligne, Waterton, Minnewanka where they have these big boats, I bet they upgrade them to something a little less offending in the near future.

smitty9
07-24-2020, 03:58 PM
I have checked the National Park site for regs, but I can't find anything that speaks to boat and motor size regulations on Maligne Lake? I am sure there must be something like electric only.

Anyone know where I can source this?

UPDATE: found the regs. It's electric and paddle only.

To be clear though, their really isn't a boat or motor 'size' restriction on Maligne.
Just a ban on gas motors.

We're on the cusp of a revolution on the battery powered stuff; Torqeedo makes a 40hp electric outboard. Dakota lithium batteries weigh 10x less and runs 2x well (or something like that).

Seen more than a few 18 foot plus boats and canoes already running the 8hp torqeedo electrics.

flyrodfisher
07-24-2020, 11:13 PM
Sure, but I think it's the added "incremental" pollution caused by dozens and dozens of boats burning around.

If you think about Maligne, Waterton, Minnewanka where they have these big boats, I bet they upgrade them to something a little less offending in the near future.

Brewster/pursuit...or whatever they are called now should have been ordered to switch to propane, electric...or rowing...or shut down....the day Parks Canada implemented the no gas powered boats order.
I am fully in favour of the no gas rule....but don't exempt a commercial enterprise that operates in the Parks.

But then again...Brewster has ALWAYS had a sweet heart deal with Parks Canada...seemingly exempted from everything.
Don't even get me going on the skywalk...

flyrodfisher
07-24-2020, 11:17 PM
We're on the cusp of a revolution on the battery powered stuff; Torqeedo makes a 40hp electric outboard.

Have you seen the price on these????

That said...I wouldn't want a lake like Maligne to be crowded with water-skiing torqeedo boats either.

Parks Canada better get ahead of this one....

SNAPFisher
07-25-2020, 08:43 AM
Have you seen the price on these????

That said...I wouldn't want a lake like Maligne to be crowded with water-skiing torqeedo boats either.

Parks Canada better get ahead of this one....

And just in case anyone is scoffing at the water-skiing comment, it is very possible today:

https://visionmarinetechnologies.com/en/volt-en/

Not cheap, but possible. You know someone is going to show up at Maligne with one of these if they do not get ahead of it.

Though, I have to admit, it would be a short fun experience to see someone blowing donuts around one of those annoying tour boat diesel pushers. :)

-JR-
07-25-2020, 11:22 AM
I believe if you have a gas engine and an electric engine ,and plain just to use the electric . You still can not go on the lake with your boat .

SNAPFisher
07-25-2020, 11:59 AM
I believe if you have a gas engine and an electric engine ,and plain just to use the electric . You still can not go on the lake with your boat .

For Maligne, I phoned and asked. It is fine. That said, the office did say that maybe the other boaters might not like it. Certainly undo attention that really is not worth it. I was planning on using it just in home bay in June. Leave the gas up in the locked position and travel cover kept on. Use the electric bow mount. Don't think I'll do it though.

And, I think the Warden would give you a visit as well. Previous guy was okay. The guy I met last year...not exactly friendly. Just not worth it.

Moosetalker
07-25-2020, 01:41 PM
Anyone tried equipping a boat with a 100 watt solar panel or 2? Just wondered if it would extend run time enough to compensate for the reduction in boat space.

Has anyone looked into the possibility of those water generators helping out as well when a guy gets a tail wind and not require motor when drifting

I know a single will recover my 2 deep-cycles on my Toy hauler from mostly depleted overnight running furnace {when occupied by significant other and offspring who don't like when furn shut off overnight} to full charge on a sunny day in Sept early October

I have purchased a second to boost output later in Oct to save Generator gas.

thumper
07-25-2020, 06:04 PM
Brewster/pursuit...or whatever they are called now should have been ordered to switch to propane, electric...or rowing...or shut down....the day Parks Canada implemented the no gas powered boats order.
I am fully in favour of the no gas rule....but don't exempt a commercial enterprise that operates in the Parks.

But then again...Brewster has ALWAYS had a sweet heart deal with Parks Canada...seemingly exempted from everything.
Don't even get me going on the skywalk...

False.
The restriction on motorboats (with an exemption for Maligne Tour operations) was implemented in the 1970s - about 45 years ago. At the time, it was owned by Bill Ruddy. Ruddy sold the operation in 1980, and Brewster/Pursuit just purchased Maligne Tours a couple of years ago.

flyrodfisher
07-25-2020, 06:35 PM
False.
The restriction on motorboats (with an exemption for Maligne Tour operations) was implemented in the 1970s - about 45 years ago. At the time, it was owned by Bill Ruddy. Ruddy sold the operation in 1980, and Brewster/Pursuit just purchased Maligne Tours a couple of years ago.

Brewster owned the Maligne lake operations since 1939.
In 1942 it was sold to Neil Campbell who in turn sold it to Ruddy
The camp was sold to Ken Lucas who in turn sold it to Ruddy
In 1980 Ruddy sold the tour operation to Gerry Levasseur.
In 2016 Brewster purchased Maligne boat tours.
So...why was Ruddy exempted for 5 years...and why did the exemption extend to the new owner from 1980 to 2016?....and continue with the change of ownership (again) to Brewster in 2016?

SNAPFisher
07-25-2020, 07:56 PM
:party0052: