PDA

View Full Version : Slayin' Da Lakers...Cold Lake Style!

58thecat
07-22-2020, 04:36 PM
Man ya'gotta luv just time on a lake by yourself. Don't get me wrong, place and time for company etc but ya just gotta have that me time...so today was it. Boat loaded and off I went....odd day...overcast..rain...then sun but calm so it was go time...I trolled (my favorite for lakers) in a football field size area from 60-140 FOW for depth...my presentation sits right at 55 feet....presentation you say...well nothing fancy cuz fancy aint me....pink lady, willow leaf (little spoons) and 3 feet behind laker slayer...#351 Rainbow Trout pattern 4" Hot Spot Apex Trolling Lure.....so 16 lakers to the boat...a few lost...but I also had time to fart around and not ask if it was ok...every 3 fish caught I would try a different presentation and give the same area two sweeps or passes...no hit...put on old faithful...bam...I went through spoons, plug, deep divers, different colors etc but every time I switched back to old faithful (actually my wife's lure cuz its pretty...she picked it out at crappy tire) I would get hits or bring a laker in...all in all a great day to fart around, catch fish and just enjoy a truly great lake.

Sooner
07-22-2020, 05:16 PM
Very nice. I have only caught one Laker and that was at Minniewanka. What a fight for a 6 lb ish fish. One day we will get out and try Cold lake.

Weavster
07-22-2020, 07:23 PM
Hey get out of my hole! Glad to see you made it out and got on em the bite has been fire this year.

I was out Monday in the dead calm heat and it was a very good day indeed!

Osky
07-22-2020, 08:27 PM
Great stuff 58... I’m glad your day went well.

Osky

thorne
07-22-2020, 10:47 PM
very nice!! Me and my 2nd in Command...K..she is the boss...are gonna try Cold Tomorrow, weather depending. Spent the day at Pea Soup Lake today with not much luck ( Also Known As Moose Lake) water here is just absolutely slimy with Blue Green Algae! Its actually unbelievable....made South Buck Lake look like a pristine mountain spring! Also fo7nd it interesting that the thick Algae blooms had a water surface temp of 26 deg! Not sure if the Algae itself warmed the water or it obsorbed more solar energy and transfered that to the water...rehardless 26 is Very warm for an Alberta lake of that size...anyway..Im sure Cold lake next door will be a tad bit less temped!

-JR-
07-23-2020, 05:42 AM
Good report that the bite is on ! Will be out there all next week starting Monday .
To bad the showers are still shutdown in the pp campgrounds ,but what the heck thats what the rain is for .
Thanks for the report .

58thecat
07-23-2020, 09:07 AM
As you can see by the pic....rest and relaxation...keeping it simple stupid...catch and release...light line, light rod and tackle....let'em burp...

ahhh lifestyles of the not so rich and famous....:)

tomorrow its yak time......eyes,pike and perch.....

HuyFishin
07-23-2020, 09:11 AM
I sure am jealous! :snapoutofit:

Weavster
07-23-2020, 08:15 PM
As you can see by the pic....rest and relaxation...keeping it simple stupid...catch and release...light line, light rod and tackle....let'em burp...

ahhh lifestyles of the not so rich and famous....:)

tomorrow its yak time......eyes,pike and perch.....

I gotta get me one of them yaks they look like fun!

thorne
07-23-2020, 08:32 PM
Well, we hit the North end of the lake for 5 hours this aft....started with Anchovy rigs then switched to silver with green and blue spoons....the anchovy rigs we getting fish before we could get them set...fun for sure, but almost just to much to handle for the two of us. The spoons settled the bite down a bit, but it was still pretty constant. No keepers, but lots of nice fat lakers! Bite kinda slacked off around 5:00 so we headed back. Great day on the Lake!!

58thecat
07-23-2020, 10:38 PM
Well, we hit the North end of the lake for 5 hours this aft....started with Anchovy rigs then switched to silver with green and blue spoons....the anchovy rigs we getting fish before we could get them set...fun for sure, but almost just to much to handle for the two of us. The spoons settled the bite down a bit, but it was still pretty constant. No keepers, but lots of nice fat lakers! Bite kinda slacked off around 5:00 so we headed back. Great day on the Lake!!

Sure beats putting around in that green/blue mush at moose lake eh!!!!!

True on the bite...if I wasn't farting around and experimenting I would have doubled the catch which was too much.....it's always a good day when you barely put the rod in the holder.....fish on.....now if you have another person or more in the boat it gets really busy....time really goes by then....gotta remember to hydrate:)