PDA

View Full Version : First fish on the bow!!

Rapala
08-05-2009, 07:36 PM
I finally caught my first fish on the bow river!!

I was so excited that i dont even remember how i caught it but it was about

15" rainbow trout :lol::lol::lol: it was caught on panther martin gold spinner

size9 with the tail thingy and was released right away:lol:

flygirrl
08-05-2009, 07:44 PM
way to go congrats

WayneChristie
08-05-2009, 07:53 PM
once you learn the holding water, you will get those a lot, now you are hooked :) congratulations

DarkAisling
08-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Congrats :) I have yet to do that.

it was caught on panther martin gold spinner

size9 with the tail thingy and was released right away:lol:

This may be a dumb question, but isn't that a huge lure? I get a little confused with lure and hook sizes.

WayneChristie
08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
small lure. but you would be surprised how big a lure trout can take, they have mouths like my ex wife!!!! :evilgrin:

DarkAisling
08-05-2009, 08:18 PM
small lure. but you would be surprised how big a lure trout can take, they have mouths like my ex wife!!!! :evilgrin:

Oh, you're rotten :lol:

I was using what I think were size 1 Mepps when we were fishing last week. Could the lure be a 1 and the hook be an 8? I'm thinking the Panther Martin used would be about the same size as the Mepps I was using.

I'm know gear expert, that's for sure. I buy what I think is pretty and then hope it works! Maybe my nickname should be "Magpie."

Sorry Rapala . . . I think I just hijacked your thread :o

Once again, congratulations :)

floppychicken
08-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Mahahahahah... 'tail thingy'.... heh, heh. Tis' funny.

Good job ! Now get that new canoe of yours and do a float down the red-deer river and have some REAL fun !

Cheers, :D

/FC.....

Rapala
08-05-2009, 08:47 PM
haha thanks for all the replies:love:

i was planning to go tommorow too but the rain won't stop:mad2::mad2:!!

btw i think all the companies have different size numbers one i used was about size of a quarter, not

including the hooks

WayneChristie
08-05-2009, 08:56 PM
dont let the rain stop you, the fish are already wet! I liked to fish the stormwater outflows into the river after the rain, where the muddy water meets the sort of cleaner riverwater, some big trout hang around those .

WayneChristie
08-05-2009, 08:58 PM
what part of the Bow are you fishing?

brianscott
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Good Job on the first fish on the bow, mine was a blur as well.
Did you get any pics? Doesnt matter if you did cuz you will remember that fish forever.

Rapala
08-05-2009, 09:43 PM
what part of the Bow are you fishing?

I not sure but i think it is the middle section (douglasdale where the river splits into two)

and i couldn't take any pics because i didn't bring a camera since i never catch fish. but im gonna start

bringing my camera:lol:

WayneChristie
08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
K I have never fished that far down, but some co workers long ago used to brag about a couple holes there that produced some huge trout

WayneChristie
08-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I not sure but i think it is the middle section (douglasdale where the river splits into two)

and i didn't bring a camera since i never catch fish. but im gonna start bringing cameras:lol:

dont you know, forgetting your camera, or having dead batteries is the only way to guarantee catching a nice fish?

iliketrout
08-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Congrats Rapala!

notagoodtroutfisher
08-06-2009, 05:31 PM
I have now fished for trout twice. each time i caught a very small rainbow. it's alot toughr than fishing for pike and wallye as i have found out. can anyone give me some tips? i was going to try the bow (near the gas plant west of cochrane) this weekend. What should i use

WayneChristie
08-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I have now fished for trout twice. each time i caught a very small rainbow. it's alot toughr than fishing for pike and wallye as i have found out. can anyone give me some tips? i was going to try the bow (near the gas plant west of cochrane) this weekend. What should i use

panther martins, foxee minnow spins, or trout pattern rapalas will all work. or flies if you are a flyfisher.

Rapala
08-06-2009, 07:43 PM

I find it really hard to fish the bow too.. look for deep and slow part of the

river

notagoodtroutfisher
08-06-2009, 08:12 PM
thanks guys

mistamikel
08-06-2009, 09:32 PM
congrats!! i just caught my first fish on the fly rod at bearspaw, lill 10inch rainbow :) and man that was fun!!!

WayneChristie
08-06-2009, 11:03 PM
congrats!! i just caught my first fish on the fly rod at bearspaw, lill 10inch rainbow :) and man that was fun!!!

go to Bowness Park, fish off the ends of the rock breakwaters that stick out into the river. you can catch some big trout off the ends of each one, also under the pedestrian bridge on the park side at the west end!

WayneChristie
08-06-2009, 11:10 PM
also work your way down from the park, on the south side, there are a lot of spots where the trout hold and Ive had 100 or more rise to a fly in a day there.

mistamikel
08-07-2009, 03:01 AM
also work your way down from the park, on the south side, there are a lot of spots where the trout hold and Ive had 100 or more rise to a fly in a day there.

I am super bad with directions lol, the wife and daughter and I went to the dog park side last weekend where all the paths are and the train bridge and walked to where the little streams run into the bow and I saw a nice trout swim right under my legs lol I all most jumped down after him lol

FishFearMe
08-07-2009, 04:45 AM
Congrats on the trout...recently caught my first there too. Now I'm looking for my first Bow trout on the fly. Hope it doesnt take as long as my first on spin.