PDA

View Full Version : Flashers to cannon ball?

Fishhunter
07-23-2020, 11:59 AM
I was told you can’t attach a flasher to a cannon ball. Is this true? I can’t find anything in the dfo regs about this.

huntsfurfish
07-23-2020, 12:25 PM
Think that person was yankin your cannon ball.

Fishhunter
07-23-2020, 12:33 PM
Ya ph dfo and got my answer. Maybe they thought there was a hook attached aswell.

Fishhunter
07-23-2020, 12:40 PM
It’s was a yes you can attach to a cannon ball.

Smoky buck
07-23-2020, 05:09 PM
Yup done it many times. Make sure you have your clip and flasher far enough apart so you don’t tangle well lowering your down rigger ball

Nice part you only fight the fish not the flasher

MooseRiverTrapper
07-23-2020, 05:33 PM
Yup done it many times. Make sure you have your clip and flasher far enough apart so you don’t tangle well lowering your down rigger ball

Nice part you only fight the fish not the flasher

This should be the standard way of doing it.

Gboe8
07-23-2020, 06:11 PM
Yes you can this is how we fish for salmon. Then your not fighting the flasher. We use 15 foot leader with a clip on one end to attach to canon ball and the flasher on the other end. Works great for us.

EZM
07-23-2020, 06:47 PM
Make sure you use a release up on the cable far enough away from the flasher ......... ask me how I learned that lesson ........... lol

I think I have screwed everything up at least once !!!!!! This was an EPIC, your an idiot, super tangle and boat pitching while trying to cut and unwind circus I will soon not forget.

Just laughing about it now ........ thanks for the reminder.

58thecat
07-23-2020, 07:14 PM
https://www.hotspotlures.com/tips.php

Open the pdf file.....these guys know what they are talking about!

thorne
07-23-2020, 08:38 PM
Never used a flasher before, just had great success with nice shiny spoons! If a good spoon can get hits constantly all day I just don't see the point in extra hardware. Mind you I only use fish shaped weights and paint them white and add a little splash of glitter and yellow accent paint...maybe that compensates...anyway maybe I'm missing something?

EZM
07-23-2020, 09:41 PM
Never used a flasher before, just had great success with nice shiny spoons! If a good spoon can get hits constantly all day I just don't see the point in extra hardware. Mind you I only use fish shaped weights and paint them white and add a little splash of glitter and yellow accent paint...maybe that compensates...anyway maybe I'm missing something?

Sometimes we run with and one without and it's hit and miss.

Sometimes a little more flash brings them in, other times it doesn't seem to matter.

One funny story, my son rigged a flasher "backwards" and I didn't notice until he pulled his fourth one aboard.

Since then I'm convinced we all know far less than we thought we did as armchair experts.:)

Fishhunter
07-24-2020, 05:16 AM
We always have the flasher tied to the ball. I find more success rate getting the fish in also not to have to fight the flasher.

My brother is in prince rupert right now and someone convinced him that it was illegal to tie to the ball. I figured it was ok but never really checked on it so I didn’t have a solid answer for him. I contacted the dfo so we would know for sure.

Ps. Rupert is on fire right now biggest they caught so far was 47lbs. Had 2 on that they couldn’t even slow down. Lots of nice coho too.

58thecat
07-24-2020, 06:07 AM
All I know is that the presentation you put down when trolling should mimic bait balls, the flash or flashes per say and then a few feet behind hinders the injured slow to keep up presentation....

I like multiple spoons...willow leaf....ford fender etc....a real attractant....

thorne
07-24-2020, 09:32 AM
Sometimes we run with and one without and it's hit and miss.

Sometimes a little more flash brings them in, other times it doesn't seem to matter.

One funny story, my son rigged a flasher "backwards" and I didn't notice until he pulled his fourth one aboard.

Since then I'm convinced we all know far less than we thought we did as armchair experts.:)

I gave up on giving advice to my Better Half..lol...she always does the "Wrong" thing in a giving fishing situation...wrong depth, wrong bait or lure, wrong retrieve style...and WHAM! fish on...so now I just let her do what ever she wants, and I won't say a thing...just do what you want, cause obviously it works! And I in return have learned many valuable lessons and had to retrain my brain as to what I thought I knew. Like most things in life, sometimes you need an "Out of the Box" view to get a new and better perspective.

58thecat
07-24-2020, 12:26 PM
I gave up on giving advice to my Better Half..lol...she always does the "Wrong" thing in a giving fishing situation...wrong depth, wrong bait or lure, wrong retrieve style...and WHAM! fish on...so now I just let her do what ever she wants, and I won't say a thing...just do what you want, cause obviously it works! And I in return have learned many valuable lessons and had to retrain my brain as to what I thought I knew. Like most things in life, sometimes you need an "Out of the Box" view to get a new and better perspective.

well said...sit back, shut up and observe....take a little this and a little that and be ready to adapt as the situation dictates.....that why we got so much crap in our boats as in gear! :)
Do not call your wife gear...its dear.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

EZM
07-24-2020, 12:40 PM
well said...sit back, shut up and observe....take a little this and a little that and be ready to adapt as the situation dictates.....that why we got so much crap in our boats as in gear! :)
Do not call your wife gear...its dear.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

YUP ….. lol

Went fishing with a big group of guys to Pierce Lake Lodge like 5-6 years ago. Some "fishing experts" there and a few novices.

One of the Novices decided to throw out a GIANT spoon and troll it back like, who knows, 200-300 feet as we were down rigging or dipsy diving for lakers.

We laughed.

He had the last laugh, pulling in a giant whitefish, on a giant spoon, middle of summer.

At that point I thought to myself "I don't know squat about fishing" because there was no explanation for that. I still don't know how that fish got that hooked with such a tiny soft mouth - nor do I understand why it was hitting a spoon that was probably just under the surface flopping around.

58thecat
07-24-2020, 12:46 PM
YUP ….. lol

Went fishing with a big group of guys to Pierce Lake Lodge like 5-6 years ago. Some "fishing experts" there and a few novices.

One of the Novices decided to throw out a GIANT spoon and troll it back like, who knows, 200-300 feet as we were down rigging or dipsy diving for lakers.

We laughed.

He had the last laugh, pulling in a giant whitefish, on a giant spoon, middle of summer.

At that point I thought to myself "I don't know squat about fishing" because there was no explanation for that. I still don't know how that fish got that hooked with such a tiny soft mouth - nor do I understand why it was hitting a spoon that was probably just under the surface flopping around.

I consider myself a student of life first and foremost.

SNAPFisher
07-24-2020, 12:53 PM
https://www.hotspotlures.com/tips.php

Open the pdf file.....these guys know what they are talking about!

Yeah, that really is awesome. Thanks!

I haven't self-guided in years but I'm planning on doing more West Coast trips and bringing my own boat. I definitely want to try this out.

SNAPFisher
07-24-2020, 12:56 PM

Wise! I plan to have my wife rig her own however she wants and on the other side, I'll take care of that. If she out fishes me though... ... just enjoy the extra fish :)

58thecat
07-24-2020, 12:59 PM
Yeah, that really is awesome. Thanks!

I haven't self-guided in years but I'm planning on doing more West Coast trips and bringing my own boat. I definitely want to try this out.

good luck...post some pics etc too!

thumper
07-24-2020, 02:30 PM
I thought a big part of the attraction was the bait or lure darting erratically - as it does when being towed directly behind a 'dodger'. I thought 'dodger' and 'flasher' were used for those 2 purposes - action *and attraction.

Positrac
07-24-2020, 03:02 PM
I thought a big part of the attraction was the bait or lure darting erratically - as it does when being towed directly behind a 'dodger'. I thought 'dodger' and 'flasher' were used for those 2 purposes - action *and attraction.

In the case of using a hootchie you need the extra action a flasher provides.

For bait like Anchovies or herring or in the case of spoons and plugs you get enough action on their own.

We’ll be using cut plugs tonight with a purple haze UV flasher off the cannon balls. Any Chinook hooked won’t be slowed down by anything other than a couple hooks and a ball bearing swivel. It’s a great way to use a light-weight rod and get the most out of the fight.

I’m in Campbell River for another 4 days. Fishing has been great with a ton of Springs but so far we haven’t broke the low twenties mark.

Smoky buck
07-24-2020, 03:02 PM

Depends on what lure or bait you are using. A dodger and bucktail or flash fly is a deadly combo. If I am using a J plug I want my flasher on my down rigger ball instead

Some lures don’t benefit from being tied to a flasher or dodger but yes some do

58thecat
07-25-2020, 08:12 AM
In the case of using a hootchie you need the extra action a flasher provides.

For bait like Anchovies or herring or in the case of spoons and plugs you get enough action on their own.

We’ll be using cut plugs tonight with a purple haze UV flasher off the cannon balls. Any Chinook hooked won’t be slowed down by anything other than a couple hooks and a ball bearing swivel. It’s a great way to use a light-weight rod and get the most out of the fight.

I’m in Campbell River for another 4 days. Fishing has been great with a ton of Springs but so far we haven’t broke the low twenties mark.

Luv the Campbell River area....some great fishing there for sure....ocean, lakes and rivers.....hmmmmm.....a nice view too....kinda got it all going for it!

Positrac
07-25-2020, 08:51 PM
Luv the Campbell River area....some great fishing there for sure....ocean, lakes and rivers.....hmmmmm.....a nice view too....kinda got it all going for it!

It’s a great place. With the exception of being born in Queen Charlotte City and living a few years in the Charlotte’s, I grew up and lived in CR for over 35 years before moving to Fort McMurray. Today was day 6 of our trip out on the water. Still lots of Springs around. Fought 2 seals today that grabbed small springs I had on right next to the boat. That always makes for a fun time.

Osky
07-26-2020, 07:18 AM
Due to the fly in nature of my trips I’m a primarily dipsy using guy and on those a small flasher over the years has made no discernible difference. It’s may be that method of use or the way I run them is wrong.
For me the new glowing spoons have made the biggest difference in a long time.

Osky

58thecat
07-26-2020, 08:19 AM
Due to the fly in nature of my trips I’m a primarily dipsy using guy and on those a small flasher over the years has made no discernible difference. It’s may be that method of use or the way I run them is wrong.
For me the new glowing spoons have made the biggest difference in a long time.

Osky

Dipsy diver? If so attach a willow leave or similar small spinners....three feet behind your presentation.....that little bit of flack and chaos attracts game fish only to pick off the trailer.....fly in only this is a easy to tote set up....