PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater River/Prairie Creek Conditions

Afrayedknot
07-24-2020, 10:15 AM
Hey everyone

I'm doing a day trip down to Rocky Mountain House tomorrow. I am just curious how the Clearwater River and Prairie Creek are looking before I head down there. Not sure if RMH has been getting the same insane amounts of rain Edmonton has been.

Thanks!!

MountainTi
07-24-2020, 10:21 AM
Got 3" here by Caroline yesterday, so guessing west of here got the same or more. Haven't actually seen the river though

SNAPFisher
07-24-2020, 12:39 PM
Hey everyone

I'm doing a day trip down to Rocky Mountain House tomorrow. I am just curious how the Clearwater River and Prairie Creek are looking before I head down there. Not sure if RMH has been getting the same insane amounts of rain Edmonton has been.

Thanks!!

Not looking good for Clearwater. Blown out is probably the best term. Currently at 65 m/s near Dovercourt - which is near rocky.

Check out this site:
https://rivers.alberta.ca/

Navigate over to Rocky, zoom-in and go over the South East. There are 2 icons there. One that shows all the flow information, averages, etc. And the other is a web cam pic from yesterday.

Prairie might be the bet since it is that much smaller.

Afrayedknot
07-24-2020, 12:48 PM
Thanks a ton!! Appreciate it!

Dielbo
07-25-2020, 11:50 AM
Prairie Creek is a spring creek, which usually means less effected by precipitation and run-off but I have never fished it. I am camping on it (at the PRA on #752) for a few days next week, so please post if you go and let me know what your experience is like. I'll be fly-fishing and my son's will be spinning, so any tips and advice would be appreciated. I stocked up on hoppers in anticipation of using Hopper-Dropper set up and got some really small (00) Syclops spoons and similarly small Mepps and Blue Fox spinners. Was also thinking I could rig their spinning set-up for hoppers with a small float but Idk if they (the brown trout) will be too skittish for such an approach. It's very hard on other central Alberta spring creeks to use any float/bobber/indicator in that slower crystal clear water. Ime, it just sends the trout scurrying for cover.

orvisman
07-25-2020, 12:37 PM
I looked at the flow chart. Prairie looks like it’ll probably be high and dirty. It’s been like this most of the year.

Afrayedknot
07-25-2020, 06:58 PM
Prairie Creek is a spring creek, which usually means less effected by precipitation and run-off but I have never fished it. I am camping on it (at the PRA on #752) for a few days next week, so please post if you go and let me know what your experience is like. I'll be fly-fishing and my son's will be spinning, so any tips and advice would be appreciated. I stocked up on hoppers in anticipation of using Hopper-Dropper set up and got some really small (00) Syclops spoons and similarly small Mepps and Blue Fox spinners. Was also thinking I could rig their spinning set-up for hoppers with a small float but Idk if they (the brown trout) will be too skittish for such an approach. It's very hard on other central Alberta spring creeks to use any float/bobber/indicator in that slower crystal clear water. Ime, it just sends the trout scurrying for cover.

Well I wish I had some good news for you but I don't. Prairie Creek was fast and muddy. Looked like chocolate milk. I started out at the PRA on 752. I didnt even bother getting my line wet. Took advantage of the situation though and scouted out a few spots for when it clears up. Hopefully I can get my brown this year. Fingers crossed. Keep me posted how you make out. Tight lines buddy!

Dielbo
07-26-2020, 09:50 AM
Well I wish I had some good news for you but I don't. Prairie Creek was fast and muddy. Looked like chocolate milk. I started out at the PRA on 752. I didnt even bother getting my line wet. Took advantage of the situation though and scouted out a few spots for when it clears up. Hopefully I can get my brown this year. Fingers crossed. Keep me posted how you make out. Tight lines buddy!

Ugh.... We don't arrive until Thursday evening but damn, the forecast is calling for more rain. What a bizarre summer so far. I guess I'll make sure to bring enough streamers and "dirty" water nymphs too. I will update on what happens.

SNAPFisher
07-26-2020, 10:26 AM
Yeah, tough year. Levels just staying up sine spring. I thought it was going to dry up this week though. I guess we will see if the forecast is on or not.