PDA

View Full Version : Big props to Graham @ Fish Tales

Beazer
08-06-2009, 09:17 AM
This is kinda a rant and a props. Kinda long.

Got bored the last little while waiting for the weather to get better.
So decided to go with my parent to nab some flies for the grayling and trout fishing I'm eventually going to do.
Couldn't find Fish Tales Fly Shop at first, so decided to try one in Fairmont. Figured either one will have employees bristling with advice and willing to help me out as I had zero knowledge with flies.

So anyways, i stop at this one shop in Fairmont(no names please). Guy greets us and asks us if we need help. I basically explained my situation and what not. he made the same suggestions for Griffiths Gnat and even some tiny black ants. Said he had 40 years exp guiding on the bow. Wow, must have plenty of great info.

Apparently didn't want to share any though.

I asked him, whats a perennial favourite for the bow. Something that most guys "go to". He motioned to his boxes and boxes of flies and said all of them. I kinda thought foolishly , thats obvious and kinda redundant but seriously. He still said, all of them will work.

I thought great, I'm coming for advice and I'm basically told to help myself.
Ok whatever, move on, I grabbed several and went to checkout and just queried him on a reasonable startup cost for actual Fly-rods, waders etc.
$600 for the rod and reel
$400 waders
$200 shoes
then flies.Tippets, etc.
I thought holy ****, thats pricey to start.
He explained to me, that it was good to have good gear and all. I understand that, no problem, but wow that puts your $100 spincast to shame for new spin fisherman.

I came out having a really bad vibe. Guy didn't really care about me, probably thought I had zip for cash and surprisingly with x years of experience had no clue about spin fishing with flies!

So, first bit over.

I say what the hell, lets find some energetic folk. So off to Fish Tales which is about 10 minutes from home, lol.

Insanely great customer service.
I get in, I was asked for help.
Basically get into a conversation with Graham who is obviously passionate about fly fishing. Plenty of stories, easy to follow, and extremely informative. Told me, how the flies work, what types, all that.
I went from just tossing out the idea of taking up a fly rod, to expecting to buy gear and take lessons, and guide trips(next year). Presuming I do like it.

He helped me out with so much.
Especially with actual places I've fished but had no clue what they were.
Policemans Flats, Mackinnon!
seen enough pics of monsters that should be living in 20 feet of water instead of 4!
He totally resparked my interest. Helped that I didn't have to spend $600 on the top fly rod!

...and all because he's passionate, and has great customer service skills.
versus the other guy that probly wants to retire and thought I was some young punk.

You guys guess were I'll be spending my 3k on fly rods next year!

Huge props to you Graham, and Dave for hiring you.
Fish tales Fly Shop, can't be beat.
See you guys on the flats.

ps-I've been a Sommelier(wine guru) for close to 7 years. Worked retail just as long. I know great customer service.