PDA

View Full Version : Yak Attack Laker Style

58thecat
08-01-2020, 07:39 AM
Well launched the beast yesterday for a 4 mile paddle to destination X on Cold Lake...never caught a laker in the yak yet so little breeze and clear skies was a good time to get my butt in gear...9 am on the water......paddle out and drag a spoon with no results just cant justify not having something in the water....at my destination 1hr ish later time to put on a Gibbs jigging minnow....well after a few moments got impatient and took a good look at the action....put a slight more bend which increased the wobble action in it and send it down....a few cranks and a hefty yank...bam...laker on:sHa_shakeshout:....ok...get phone...set to camera...reel up...oh and I was using my ice fishing rod too so cant horse'em….5 minute battle...lake to boat...pics and then over she went to grow to 30lbs...total time on water was 8hrs...and 8 miles of paddling....oh and stretched out to enjoy a beauty nap too:)…..lakers cooperated....and thanks to all that were out there and spotted the fool in the yak for not running me over:)

HuyFishin
08-01-2020, 08:53 AM
I need to add this to my bucketlist. I've only cought lakers ice fishing.

8 km paddle is quite far, looks like a blast!

338Bluff
08-01-2020, 02:57 PM
Why wouldn't you run up to English Bay or Medley River and only do a 1 km paddle. You crazy lol!

dodger
08-01-2020, 03:34 PM
Nice !!

Dodger.

Smoky buck
08-01-2020, 03:39 PM
You kayak people need to stop posting about fishing before you cost me money and an argument with the wife :snapoutofit:

bessiedog
08-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Good job buddy!

Great day I’ll bet!

HuyFishin
08-01-2020, 04:18 PM
You kayak people need to stop posting about fishing before you cost me money and an argument with the wife :snapoutofit:

Just tell your wife kayak fishing is trending right now. Its also a good healthy weight loss program haha

58thecat
08-01-2020, 04:24 PM
I need to add this to my bucketlist. I've only cought lakers ice fishing.

8 km paddle is quite far, looks like a blast!

8 miles total that day whatever that is in clicks I don't know...on the water at 9 am off at 5 pm....drank 4 litres of water and ate two sammiches…..was in bed 730,,,,,after a cold shower and a hot meal...whipped....a good full day though for an ol'fart:sHa_sarcasticlol:

back at it today on ethal lake for eyes and perch....but dam pike got in the way...they didn't get the memo....I need sleep...must fish....

58thecat
08-01-2020, 04:27 PM
Why wouldn't you run up to English Bay or Medley River and only do a 1 km paddle. You crazy lol!

true but I like to see whats what....kinda like a busy body....got my garmin fish liar now part of the game ..must find bait balls...shelves....structure then wet a line but along the way I throw something over just incase my dream laker shows up.....

Smoky buck
08-01-2020, 04:32 PM
Just tell your wife kayak fishing is trending right now. Its also a good healthy weight loss program haha

Are you assuming I am fat? You sir just hurt my feelings lol

coldlaketackleshack
08-02-2020, 03:35 PM
Well launched the beast yesterday for a 4 mile paddle to destination X on Cold Lake...never caught a laker in the yak yet so little breeze and clear skies was a good time to get my butt in gear...9 am on the water......paddle out and drag a spoon with no results just cant justify not having something in the water....at my destination 1hr ish later time to put on a Gibbs jigging minnow....well after a few moments got impatient and took a good look at the action....put a slight more bend which increased the wobble action in it and send it down....a few cranks and a hefty yank...bam...laker on:sHa_shakeshout:....ok...get phone...set to camera...reel up...oh and I was using my ice fishing rod too so cant horse'em….5 minute battle...lake to boat...pics and then over she went to grow to 30lbs...total time on water was 8hrs...and 8 miles of paddling....oh and stretched out to enjoy a beauty nap too:)…..lakers cooperated....and thanks to all that were out there and spotted the fool in the yak for not running me over:)

Nice job when are you going to try sturgeon......lol

58thecat
08-03-2020, 04:03 PM
Nice job when are you going to try sturgeon......lol

next year if all works out...got a few areas scoped out from a few years ago...really looking forward to the battle...

RavYak
08-03-2020, 09:57 PM
I am pretty sure you already know this but there are good producing spots much closer than 4 miles from launches.

I know spots for kayak sturgeon both AB and BC ;).

58thecat
08-04-2020, 05:56 AM
I am pretty sure you already know this but there are good producing spots much closer than 4 miles from launches.

I know spots for kayak sturgeon both AB and BC ;).

Ya but....what about that other spot....and this spot or over there.....my little mind gets thinking and next thing ya know...holy crap I gotta head back now:)

Oh and I will pm you when I figure out a timeline for sturgeon....miss your input on yaks on this forum.....

Oh so I watched a YouTube vid and a fella uses a clothes line retractable attached to his yak and a ball for a downriver for a anchor....kinda neat set up....thoughts on anchoring?

RavYak
08-04-2020, 06:11 AM
I havent been doing much fishing last couple years but starting to feel a bit better so maybe can start getting out more now. I went on a good trip this weekend (no kayak though), will post about it later.

I've been out in Winnipeg for work and will be out here for a while still, probably till early or mid September. I might have to do a fall trip for sturgeon once I am back.

Anchoring on the river is the one of the trickiest things to do in a kayak and have to be careful where and how you anchor. Closest I have come to flipping kayak was first time I tried anchoring in river. Dont try to anchor in fast water, make sure kayak is pointed right direction before dropping anchor, have anchor rope in such a way that it can quickly and easily be detached, buoy to hold anchor rope up when disconnecting from anchor is good but has to be larger then you might think.

I dont use anything fancy for anchoring, 5 lb grapple anchor, floating line, buoy tied in line then anchor rope through anchor trolley positioned at back of kayak and up to a tie off point for easy access where I tie a quick release not although cleats that can be released under tension arguably work better (need to be releasable say if hit by a log/tree, it happens).

South west trappin RG
08-04-2020, 07:15 AM
I havent been doing much fishing last couple years but starting to feel a bit better so maybe can start getting out more now. I went on a good trip this weekend (no kayak though), will post about it later.

I've been out in Winnipeg for work and will be out here for a while still, probably till early or mid September. I might have to do a fall trip for sturgeon once I am back.

Anchoring on the river is the one of the trickiest things to do in a kayak and have to be careful where and how you anchor. Closest I have come to flipping kayak was first time I tried anchoring in river. Dont try to anchor in fast water, make sure kayak is pointed right direction before dropping anchor, have anchor rope in such a way that it can quickly and easily be detached, buoy to hold anchor rope up when disconnecting from anchor is good but has to be larger then you might think.

I dont use anything fancy for anchoring, 5 lb grapple anchor, floating line, buoy tied in line then anchor rope through anchor trolley positioned at back of kayak and up to a tie off point for easy access where I tie a quick release not although cleats that can be released under tension arguably work better (need to be releasable say if hit by a log/tree, it happens).

If your I. Winnipeg do yourself a favour an do a trip to Lockport an catch some catfish they are unbelievably strong. I have did two trips there an plan sometime to do another.

58thecat
08-04-2020, 07:23 AM

Thx for the input....hope you get going again...keep us posted...your shared experience is very much appreciated.

Weavster
08-05-2020, 02:54 AM
Achievement unlocked! Well done can't wait too see you getting towed around by a 30lber out there.

Spudnut
08-05-2020, 11:51 AM

LOL, it's really all about the exercise...right?

Supergrit
08-07-2020, 09:42 PM
Nice fish what make of kayak is that ?

58thecat
08-08-2020, 12:49 AM
Nice fish what make of kayak is that ?

Pelican 120 strike....