PDA

View Full Version : Fish in Bruce Lake AB

bonreuz
08-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Hey folks,

Guy at wholesale in Calgary told me about this lake. I heard Pike between 5 -12lbs. It's between Chestermere and Strathmore, just North off the HWY1.

Anyone ever fish there? Is it worth a trip?

Openwater? Ice?

nicemustang
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes it's true, altough sizes are a little generous LOL. Series of three lakes. Surrounded by private land except the first lake which is on the road. If you search Bruce Lake in the forum there are a couple of posts and directions.

The first lake is really shallow and weedy. Not a lot of fish here. The middle lake is where you need to be but you need to get permission from the land owners to access it or paddle over from the first lake. The lakes are separated by a dyke/wier. So you can get a boat in and cruise over and drag it over to second lake. In the spring when there were less weeds along the shore, it was excellent fishing. I would assume now a dingy or boat is needed to fish in the middle, so less weeds. A size 5 - 7 perch floating rapala was the best lure of choice in June, haven't been back cause of the weeds. I don't have a small boat or dingy.

On the ice...haven't been but tales have been told of people catching 10 - 12 lbers through the ice on second lake. I think a guy could drive out to it, will be on my list to check out one day this winter. I live pretty close to this lake, close to my acreage.

ToCatch
08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I've fished on it hardwater... not too big too get across, and yes you can drive on it as we had an old f250, and never a problem. was with a guy who caught a 10- 12 lber there, lots of half decent pike though.

bonreuz
08-07-2009, 09:33 AM
I'll be righting it off then till next spring. Thx fo rthe info.

LongDraw
08-07-2009, 09:36 AM
No fish in Bruce.

bonreuz
08-07-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm guessing your one of the private land owners and you want A@#holes to stay away from ur property.

pecker
08-07-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm guessing your one of the private land owners and you want A@#holes to stay away from ur property.

lots of fun with 3-4 lbers - the odd keeper - but i wouldn't want to eat one out of there . :wave:

iliketrout
08-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Fished it a couple of months ago, we trolled and got 11 pike (all under legal size) in 2-1/2 hours. Haven't been back since, I heard it slowed down a lot lately.

jacenbeers
01-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Hey all. Any recent reports on this lake? I know I am resurrecting an old threat but I talked to somebody on the ice today about this lake and thought I would check.

Who Da Fisherman
01-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Hey all. Any recent reports on this lake? I know I am resurrecting an old threat but I talked to somebody on the ice today about this lake and thought I would check.

Check out page 2 Bruce lake, don't know how to insert the tread title.
WDF

Eclipzo
06-21-2015, 08:56 PM
Went there yesterday . Fished from canoe all day , tried everything , bait ( herring , minnows ) not even a bite . Little disappointed maybe I'm doing something wrong

slivers86
06-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Went there yesterday . Fished from canoe all day , tried everything , bait ( herring , minnows ) not even a bite . Little disappointed maybe I'm doing something wrong

it winter killed HARD not last winter but the previous winter. It will take years to recover. Put it on the skip list for a while.